The Art of Concealed Carry...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oreo

You'll Shoot Your Eye Out
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Red Stick
    Would it be possible for one of our knowledgeable trainers or forum members to hold a couple hour class on conceal carry techniques? I know of several forum members interested in this type of training/information.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    Holsters? Info like that.. or shooting from CC positions? If it is the latter of the 2, the IPDA matches are basically a CC Match, from IWB and from cover garments..

senseiturtle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2007
    South Carolina
    Hopefully something better than... "wear this odd vest, no matter what the temperature outside, and no matter how bad it clashes with anything remotely considered style."

vest_v03_front.gif

Oreo

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Red Stick
    I personally believe there are many of us that have CCW permits that are not carrying like we would if we had a more knowledge of holsters, wardrobe, gear selection. This includes the ladies as well. Things like how to avoid printing, clothing selection, equipment advantages etc...

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I think a good online discussion of the options would be more productive.
    My thoughts is that you have to choose a weapon to go with the wardrobe. I usually wear either khaki's or jeans and a polo shirt so I'm limited in what I can carry. I'm a big guy so that helps somewhat. I usually opt for a small .380 though for comfort. If I'm going someplace a little less 'safe' then I'll upgrade to a midsized 9mm.
    Its kinda like playing golf, you have to choose your club for the situation.

tb2

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    BR, LA
    Since were on this toppic, how do you that do carry fell about ankle holsters? I will be going for my conceal class soon, and will cary a 38 revolver, and have thought about the ankle holster when its warm out. I have a shoulder holster already, but if im not in a jacket, i cant really wear that.

Oreo

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Red Stick
    Well I have watch videos, read articles, seen opinions and I still have questions...

I was talking to a guy today that carried a PT111 in a ankle holster. He was in a pair of Khaki straight leg slacks and you could sort of tell it was there but I hadn't noticed it. Good cover but how accessible is that in an emergency?

I'm a 1x-2x guy but I'm not into baggy clothing and don't want to dress like CAPUT.

What about belts? 1" 1.25" 1.5" Etc.. What materials for the belt?

Holsters IWB I have heard Com-Tac (Minotaur MTAC Holster) is the way to go. How practical is it and for what environments and condition?

How do I keep it from printing, can you ware it with a Polo shirt?

And the list goes on... What about items for the ladies?

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Since were on this toppic, how do you that do carry fell about ankle holsters? I will be going for my conceal class soon, and will cary a 38 revolver, and have thought about the ankle holster when its warm out. I have a shoulder holster already, but if im not in a jacket, i cant really wear that.

Wish you were taking my class, I do a good segement on that. SHoulder holsters have very limited applicability besides long drives or when wearing an out garment like a jacket or sport coat.

I wear an ankle holster daily as a backup on and off duty. You trade off access and speed for concealability. It is not an optimal solution for everyday CHP carry. If you are wearing jeans, an nice IWB holster will serve you well.

With today's weapon availability, there is very litle reason to sacrifce the power of a 9mm or larger for a .380. There are many platforms out there that are the same or smaller than the average 380.

You really should make your wardrobe over time match your carry. I really do buy pants one size larger. i have started carrying IWB more, and Ifind this works. there are also plenty of quality tuckable holsters that make polo and t-shirts perfectly acceptable.

Things like thunderwear, belly bands, fanny packs, etc have their place. You will find that depending on your mission, enviroment, threat level, and weapon, you will need at leats 2-3 different holsters to facilitate 24/7/365 carry.

I am at a conference right now, and I am taking a section specifically abot this. i will make sure to include it in my AAR.

What would the interest be in a 2-4 hour course in the NOLA area for a gear selection / tactics class?

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    My problem with shoulder, ankle, and other specialty holsters is that you can not train/practice with them anywhere. You will not be welcome at most classes, matches, and ranges with a shoulder or ankle holster.

Printing is a non-issue in the real world. Ask most people here, I carry two pistols and three extra magazines with a shirt tight enough to read the Heckler & Koch on the slide. And no one has ever asked what the hell was under my shirt including the co-workers who are around me every single day.

lurkerwisp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    And the list goes on... What about items for the ladies?

That's the best thing I've seen asked yet. So yeah. How do you carry if you're female? All the taticool specialty clothing I've seen is either designed and sized for men only, or was designed by men who actually have no idea what a woman looks like or feels comfortable wearing and stole their patterns from 1985.

Are there other options available? Buying a size larger definitely isn't one - the fit would be way off in so many directions.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    My problem with shoulder, ankle, and other specialty holsters is that you can not train/practice with them anywhere. You will not be welcome at most classes, matches, and ranges with a shoulder or ankle holster.

Printing is a non-issue in the real world. Ask most people here, I carry two pistols and three extra magazines with a shirt tight enough to read the Heckler & Koch on the slide. And no one has ever asked what the hell was under my shirt including the co-workers who are around me every single day.

Well T-dog, while you smedium shirts( mediu chest small sleeves ;) ) meet the legal requirementz, many would argue that such printing relinguishes the tactical advantage of surprise to all but the most oblivious observer.

You are dead on about specialty holsters like ankle and shoulder being taboo at the range.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    That's the best thing I've seen asked yet. So yeah. How do you carry if you're female? All the taticool specialty clothing I've seen is either designed and sized for men only, or was designed by men who actually have no idea what a woman looks like or feels comfortable wearing and stole their patterns from 1985.

Are there other options available? Buying a size larger definitely isn't one - the fit would be way off in so many directions.

Very few options fir women who choose to dress to typical tight standards.
    Purse carry is an option, but anything that takes the weapon off the body ch be more easily stolen or left behind. It is however still an option, but one that requires exceptional dedication and discipline.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Women can carry with 90% of the outfits I see girls wearing everyday. Get a IWB holster, a pair of pants, and a shirt that covers it. You are done. Its not rocket surgery.

For dresses, you may need to consider off body carry or a small .380 carried... Creatively.

When I absolutely can't carry either of my daily pistols in their holsters I carry a man purse or keep it very close by. Women could do the same. Small camera bags are good cover.

Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    I have a few OWB holsters ... Cause I dont want to buy any new pants.. :rofl:

I wear a wife beater and a loose t shirt or polo (or long sleeve in the winter) and I dont think I print much..
    When I ride my bike however ..My entire gun shows... I have decided to put it in a maxpedition bag while Im riding and back in my holster when I stop..

But depending on price . I'd take your class...

Never to old to learn...

Note... If I show up and someone does something stupid .... Can I make fun of them????

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I have a few OWB holsters ... Cause I dont want to buy any new pants.. :rofl:

I wear a wife beater and a loose t shirt or polo (or long sleeve in the winter) and I dont think I print much..
    When I ride my bike however ..My entire gun shows... I have decided to put it in a maxpedition bag while Im riding and back in my holster when I stop..

But depending on price . I'd take your class...

Never to old to learn...

Note... If I show up and someone does something stupid .... Can I make fun of them????

You would have to go to the off topic room and start a new conversation with BOW in the title

Top Bottom