The Art of Concealed Carry...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tb2

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    BR, LA
    This was a good thread. And thanks to thoes that gave answers pertaining to my questions. Looks like i have some more research to do, guess i jumped the gun buyin the shoulder holster, of course that was back before i knew this site, and well, yes the "cool" feelin kinda go the better of me.

And nolacopusmc, i believe i am signed up for one of your classes if everything went through, so it looks like i will be able to hear your lesson on holsters...

Again, great thread... And lots of good info here...

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I am looking at my schedule now. I am proposing the following and will make a new thread when I finalize it.

Concealed Carry Tactics, Techniques, and Gear Considerations
    Date: TBD
    Cost: 50.00
    Time:TBD Four hours

Topics:
    Situational Weapon Selection
    Environmental Considerations
    Threat Assessment in Selecting Carry Method
    Common Carry Systems Pro/Con
    Wardrobe Considerations in CCW

Class will be more of a show and tell. Bring what you have. Open forum discussion where we talk about what works and what does not.

tb2

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    BR, LA
    Would one need to currently have concealed carry to take the course? I know if i did not have the conceal cary, then i couldnt wear what i have, and there for, woudl miss out on the show and tell part.. But im sure thats minor penuts compared to the many things one would learn.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Would one need to currently have concealed carry to take the course? I know if i did not have the conceal cary, then i couldnt wear what i have, and there for, woudl miss out on the show and tell part.. But im sure thats minor penuts compared to the many things one would learn.

That is fine. We would just have everyone who does carry bring their gear so we can discuss the pros and cons of each method of carry. I have a large selection of carry rigs that I use for show in my class.

Actually, it would be good for you to go before you buy. You would be a much more informed buyer.

Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    yeah.. I have had my CCW for about 4 years.. But Id like to take the class.. hell your never to old to learn.....

What was I saying again???

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I'd be interested too, although I've had my CHP for ~6 years now I don't have the opportunity to carry as often as I would like because of my place of employment (against permit regulations for banned places on at least 3 classifications lol)... but I do carry when possible and I'm interested in a new carry rig that would work well for my body build + a G19.

As long as deer camp stuff and work doesn't interfere I'll make the trip.

I will say this:
    of my carry rigs, the MOST comfortable and best concealment I've had is from my old S&W Airlite in the front pocket of slacks, blue jeans or shorts (which I sold) and a Galco U.S.A. (tuckable IWB) holding my G26.

Recently I acquired a calf strap to complement my Galco Ankle Glove, which helps tremendously, but still Ankle isn't optimal when it's time to draw / reholster. I also have a Galco S.O.B. for the G26, which never felt quite right having no retainage strap and it behind my back.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I'd be interested too, although I've had my CHP for ~6 years now I don't have the opportunity to carry as often as I would like because of my place of employment (against permit regulations for banned places on at least 3 classifications lol)... but I do carry when possible and I'm interested in a new carry rig that would work well for my body build + a G19.

As long as deer camp stuff and work doesn't interfere I'll make the trip.

I will say this:
    of my carry rigs, the MOST comfortable and best concealment I've had is from my old S&W Airlite in the front pocket of slacks, blue jeans or shorts (which I sold) and a Galco U.S.A. (tuckable IWB) holding my G26.

Recently I acquired a calf strap to complement my Galco Ankle Glove, which helps tremendously, but still Ankle isn't optimal when it's time to draw / reholster. I also have a Galco S.O.B. for the G26, which never felt quite right having no retainage strap and it behind my back.

I don't know your body type but I am a big guy and I use a MTAC IWB holster with a G19 and it works well. I even use it with draw string shorts. During the winter I used LSP972's Mitch Rosen OWB holster and that was comfortable as well. I used it with a jacket as well with a untucked cover shirt.

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    I just took the renewal class at the shooters club in Metairie last Saturday (18th) with my dad and we were both wishing there were more classes available to teach a more tactical side of things as well as carry methods/options. I usually carry owb on the hip in a fobus paddle hoslter but also have a comptac c-tac and a "the answer" holster from tucker gunleather. I can have 3 people maybe 4 who would love to take a class like this.

optiic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Prairieville
    I just took the renewal class at the shooters club in Metairie last Saturday (18th) with my dad and we were both wishing there were more classes available to teach a more tactical side of things as well as carry methods/options. I usually carry owb on the hip in a fobus paddle hoslter but also have a comptac c-tac and a "the answer" holster from tucker gunleather. I can have 3 people maybe 4 who would love to take a class like this.

I'd like to second this!

I'm currently carrying now but I'd love to take a good long class (maybe 2 day?) that went over defensive scenarios and tactics pertaining to CCW. Some sort of low light practice drills would be great as well.

Pure Luck

Yes it is loaded
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Lafayette
    This is a great topic to be discussed. There are enough ways to CCW that everyone can find one that works for them. Things that must be considered are (but not limited to) :weapon choice, platform (how it is held in place, like belt, or off body, or self straps like a Smart Cary), activities done while CCW and, Clothing options. I am no expert on this and believe that a hands on instructor environment is the best way to learn this stuff. But take it for what it is worth, below are some things to consider that I have learned over the years.

Everything below is my opinion, and experience. Just some things that I want to share, and may or may not fit YOUR personal situation. Your mileage my vary.

Weapon: I believe that for self defense, a minimum is 9mm / 38 special. If you have to carry less, it is better than nothing, but remember we are talking about defending your life. But caliber alone is not what should make a weapon “the right weapon” for you. Fit and feel should also come into play. If you can’t hold it, you can’t fight with it. So pick a weapon that you can hold, shoot, and work effectively.

Activities: this is just an over view of what you plan on doing while carrying. If you are going to be sitting all day like at an office, or driving all day you may want a far different set up than if you were going to be actively moving, reaching, stretching, and being active all day.

Platform: Before you can think of holsters you have to think of WHERE on the body are you going to carry the weapon. If you are going to carry it on your hip, then you will need a good gun belt to carry it. There are a lots of good ones on the market these days to match any situation from tacticool or dress cloths. Don’t fool yourself into thinking that a 10 dollar belt at the local department store will be as good as a true gun belt. There are other options that do not require a belt. Things like Smart Carry, belly bands, ankle holster, fanny packs…. They all have their own attachment points. These have their place and may fit your situation very well. Other options are ‘off the body’ like a purse. These will work, and may be the best option. There are purses out there made for CCW with a built in holster.

After you have the weapon and platform, you can look at the holster. What is the weapon going to be carried in? At the very least, the trigger must be covered, and the weapon should be secure in holster so it will not tumble out (like in a purse, or falling out should you find yourself in an oqward situation such as fallen, or crawling under a desk to plug in a computer). There are so many options for holster choice, it would take months to cover everything. But things that I have learned, by a very costly trial and error, are a few things to look for when choosing a holster. You will need to decide what kind of retention (the ability for the holster to ‘lock’ your weapon in, or lack thereof) you want your holster to have. Either leather or kydex or cloth, you want one that is designed to fit your weapon. There are a few exceptions to this rule such as some pocket holsters, purse, or fanny packs. So key words are ‘boned’, ‘fitted’, ‘molded’. Avoid holsters that claim to fit a multitude of weapons. Attachment points; the farther apart the points are the more stable the weapon will be.

Clothing options: This may be a decision out of your hands. If you have to follow a dress code, or want to dress to a specific style you know what you ‘must’ wear. It is possible to carry and still achieve just about any of these looks. Now it is more difficult for women (or men) to achieve this with skin tight clothing. But it is not necessary to wear shirts 3 sizes too big, unless you want to. There are pros and cons to wearing a loose fitting over garment, so maybe for your situation one size larger may be optimal. If you want to wear the same size shirt, you can achieve CCW, you just need to look for deeper concealment. On this note, most hunters can attest to the concept that, breaking up colors is far more effective way to hide anything. Now I am not saying you need to wear camo all the time, think more ‘urban cammo’. A nice polo shirt with a pattern on it will work to hide much better than any solid, simply because the bulge, or shadow looks to be part of the pattern.

Well it got kind of lengthy, and I know most will not have read it all, but there you have some things to consider.
    Be safe, and PRACTICE.

Last edited:

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    smith_642.jpg

+ pocket

+Desantis nemesis

DUH!

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    Other than holsters, dress, and weapons, or there any additional topics people would likke covered in this course? Looks like this may turn into a 8 hour course.

Maybe get all topics listed and then rank in order of importance to fit the time slot you can allow?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Maybe get all topics listed and then rank in order of importance to fit the time slot you can allow?

Definitely want to make it a one day course. 8 hours would be OK. I am just wanting to know the areas that everyone would like to cover so that I can make it relevant for the most people.

Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    Tacticool boots would be a good topic of discussion ...

Seriously ... How about belts.. I have several my favorite at the time is 5:11 trainer belt..
    But I am looking for something leather and dressy....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    hunter1994
    Top Bottom