The Cabin Restaurant in Burnside

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Anybody been there ? The wife and I are going this afternoon . A friend said it was pretty good , and we're looking to take a ride and get out of the house .

csbutton

Unreconstructed
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I gonna have to agree with bs875..we have eaten there twice, and both times some from our party got sick later...we didn't find the food all that great anyway.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    I've eaten there once. Food was alright. An ex-girlfriend of mine used to cook there, and she knew how to cook a good meal, so I have no big complaints about it.

Would I eat there again? Probably not. I don't like being in that area too much, and it isn't by anything. Only time I'd go is if it were for another rehearsal dinner (which was the only reason I went the first time).

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    We have eaten at The Cabin for years; it is a favorite stop on our way from Texas or Lafayette back to N.O.

The "Jumbo Fried Shrimp" is always wonderful. We have tried almost everything on the menu and have NO complaints !

We frequently meet family members from Baton Rouge, Crowley, or Lafayette there for a late Sunday lunch get-together.

We are in the neighborhood frequently, as our airplane is hangared at L38 Airport, less than a mile away; and, my cousin has a business just down the road.

Despite the naysayers above, this is a first-rate place and should be tried.

leVieux
    New Orleans

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    We used to go there for lunch from work occasionally and I was never that impressed enough to drive past Hymel's to go there.

It's a matter of taste, but several people did get sick after eating there and this was 20y+ ago.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    We used to go there for lunch from work occasionally and I was never that impressed enough to drive past Hymel's to go there.

It's a matter of taste, but several people did get sick after eating there and this was 20y+ ago.

Mmm, Hymel's fried shrimp. I love their King of England goblets they serve their drinks in. Bring me more mead, wench!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Tell me more about Hymels...

We used to go to the cabin occasionally when we lived in Laplace. It was OK. Nice atmosphere. Nice ride. Personally, I'd rather go to Catfish Charlie's in Hammond though.
    Or Drago's in Metairie.
    We went to Houston's for the first time in years a few weeks ago. That was incredible... much better than it used to be. Bit on the pricey side though. Not someplace for every weekend.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Tell me more about Hymels...

Hymel's is a bar, restaurant, and filling station about four miles south of the Sunshine Bridge on LA-44 in St. James Parish.

It had been there a while when I moved down here in 1967. Beer was thirty cents a can then.

They used to have the tables covered with newspapers, removing the soiled ones in between customers, but the food cops put a stop to that and they used butcher paper.

The plant I worked at was three miles past Hymel's and it was the only place we could practically eat at away from the plant. Hymel is the family name. The current owner's grandfather opened it.

Really good food at reasonable prices. Typical Louisiana seafood restaurant. They serve draft beer and iced tea, separately of course, in frozen, 24oz mugs. They may serve Cokes that way, too, but that's a lot of Coke.

They are open daily from about 1100 until 2100.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DRB88
    Top Bottom