The mission is complete. We are now cable free.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    32687161.jpg

We have this one - omnidirectional, no rotor needed and looks cleaner than most of the other setups. We were receiving 37 HD channels 50 miles SW of Atlanta. Price is good at $89. works equally well inside an attic, just hang it upside down. We had it hooked up to three differant tvs at the same time.

http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/1073325.html

Last edited:

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    Actually we went with a Antennas Direct clearstream 1 seems to be working just fine for me but I havent had the time yet to put it on the pole outside so it is just sitting on the bookshelf and getting what it can inside the house.

Roger. That's a directional unit, if you get an omnidirectional, you'll pull in more signals. Is it amplified?

DAUC

running from safety
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    NOLA
    I need to do more research, but does mounting in the attic have any adverse effects? It would be ~25 ft. above ground, minimal interference from other houses.

I really like that omni-directional one

cow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Shreveport, LA
    I've considered cutting back on my DirecTV price, but the main reason I initially bought a subscription was to watch European soccer matches. What do you guys do for sports (& especially more niche sports that are harder to find)?

Triceratops was actually a baby Torosaurus
    I was with you until I read this (which is complete news to me). To the google!

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    I need to do more research, but does mounting in the attic have any adverse effects? It would be ~25 ft. above ground, minimal interference from other houses.

I really like that omni-directional one

No adverse effects that I noticed. The height matters less than I thought it would. Signal seemed to be the same either way, but basic theory would support an outside mount being better.

Last edited:

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    I've considered cutting back on my DirecTV price, but the main reason I initially bought a subscription was to watch European soccer matches. What do you guys do for sports (& especially more niche sports that are harder to find)?

I was with you until I read this (which is complete news to me). To the google!
    Some of the channels have the weird sports events you so describe...lol. If you speak spanish, you'll get quite a few. Internet has some free channels as well.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm straight Netflix, with the occasional RedBox, but the little lady has the works, so I still get my SAMCRO and Walking Dead.

"Coriolanus" is back on Netflix. It's pretty awesome, but may not be for the kiddies.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Wish me luck, I'm cutting the cord, too.

Picked up 2 Roku boxes at Sam's for $69/ea. They came with HDMI cables, yay.
    One Blueray player for $79.
    Ordering that omnidirectional (Thanx for the link Dixie) $80

Signed up Netflix & HuluPlus.

So, for $300 in hardware I get to deprive AT&T of $170/mo and trade off for $40 cable internet (30Mb) and $16 subscriptions. Saving $114/mo I recover hardware costs in 2 1/2 months and thereafter save the $.

Oops, gotta go, they're here to connect the internet.

Wish me luck. I hope I covered all my bases.

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!

So, for $300 in hardware I get to deprive AT&T of $170/mo and trade off for $40 cable internet (30Mb) and $16 subscriptions. Saving $114/mo I recover hardware costs in 2 1/2 months and thereafter save the $.

Good deal brother!

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T

Damn it Son
    You smarter than the average bear....I guarantee:}

o859dku55we1sd72own.jpg

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Ok, I have two PS3's to use as my "Roku" Boxes. I can get an antenna. Any idea for a good DVR system? I never watch any TV live, and it looks like I will just have to pay for Walking Dead episodes, which is much cheaper than paying cable. I'll cut the cable today so to speak if I can DVR OTA signals.

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    Ok, I have two PS3's to use as my "Roku" Boxes. I can get an antenna. Any idea for a good DVR system? I never watch any TV live, and it looks like I will just have to pay for Walking Dead episodes, which is much cheaper than paying cable. I'll cut the cable today so to speak if I can DVR OTA signals.

Netflix streaming has walking dead and is only $8 per month. Plus you can buy any series on DVD if you really like it... ;)

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Netflix streaming has walking dead and is only $8 per month. Plus you can buy any series on DVD if you really like it... ;)

You can buy an HD season pass from Amazon and watch it the day after it airs. I am more interested in Getting a DVR set up. I will up my internet speed and cut cable and save $80 or more a month. Just looking for a DVR for the handful of shows we do watch. Fringe, Arrow, Persons of Interest, Bones, Supernatural,The Mentalist, Big Bang Theory and Revolution between the wife and I. We also catch Burn Notice and Walking Dead on cable. I don't watch em all, and she doesn't watch em all, but that is what the DVR catches right now.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Congrats! I haven't had cable since moving into my new place. I couldn't justify paying $90/month for it when I'm barely home. I have an apple TV that I stream my itunes from and just got a Roku box for Christmas. Still trying to figure that little thing out. I use Netflix, Hulu+, Crackle and HBOGO but I'm trying to find some more channels. I added a bunch, but I can never tell if I'm going to end up having to pay for something or what.

What other free channels do you have?

MilOperator

Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Metairie, LA.
    Congrats. We did the same thing a little over a year ago (got a Roku just before Christmas last year). Netflix usually has something for everyone. Besides that, the antenna gets us MeTV and the news. That's about all we need. Much better than paying exorbitant amounts for channels we don't watch - and probably shouldn't be watching.

They don't call it "programming" for nothing.

You are correct brother. :) And yea, Roku is pretty cool. I use it for 90% of my non antenna viewing. I still have Dish but only pay $30 a month for it but may drop it since the only channels I really watch are History/Discovery and those are starting to **** me off with their crappy fake reality shows like Moonshiners and Amish Mafia. No way they are real by even the longest stretch of the imagination. IMO shows like that discredit History and Discovery really badly.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Fanblade1
    Top Bottom