The NFL is determined to ruin the game of football

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • biggin215

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I am ok with this rule as long as they don't go overboard with it. Yes, football is a violent brutal sport and we love to see the nasty hits.

At one point, you have to think about the player and the media uproar there will be as severe injuries happen more often. Entertaining hits can be made without knocking someone's helmet off or causing concussions. The players that intentionally blow up other when they are not able to defend themselves or those who lead with their head are the ones the NFL is trying to stop.

As much as I support this rule, I also know that the referees will go nuts with it, and, at first, players will get suspended left and right.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Gotta look at these things in context, though. I'm pretty sure the rate of debilitating injury is actually higher in cheerleading than in football.

We just have to recognize that these things happen. People will still play and watch football despite the danger.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Football is a Bloodsport just like cockfighting, bullfighting and dogfighting. In football the object is to PUNISH the opponent while moving the ball across the opponent's goal line. It's very difficult to separate the Brutality from the Bloodsport. And many will fall along the way during the process of "limiting" the severe injuries.

I played DB and was nicknamed "Pit Bull" for ferocious hits and I relished the bright flash of light and the dull resonating thud of plastic on plastic. Yes, some were, indeed, helmet to helmet but most were glancing hits; mostly shoulder to helmet contact on larger TEs and WRs.

Now take a guy with a similar psyche and make him larger, more powerful and similarly as quick as myself. Guess what? They're gonna hurt someone on the field. If I had a child I'd not encourage him to play football. Period. I'd not stop him, but I'd try to dissuade him by offereing other alternatives like wrestling or judo. Not that these sports aren't bloodsports, either, but the impacts resulting in broken necks are less - though severe injuries are not uncommon.

Bottom Line is debilitating impacts are part of the game and yes, they are trying to punish the Hell out of each other. That's part of the game. Limiting collisions in which one player leads with his helmet is a good thing but it will NOT stop them from being receiving spinal injuries as one does not have to lead with his helmet to still ring another's bell in a memorable hit.

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Sniff... The NFL already ruined it for me. Learn hockey. It's much more entertaining to watch. The players still are concerned about being a team first. Very little show boating. etc.

Dave

I think hockey is the only mainstream sport left where players don't do a stupid dance after every play. Why the dance and chest pounding after a tackle or a touchdown? They are supposed to do it, its their job. It would be like a hockey player pounding his chest and dancing after completing a pass or body check.

Does it have anything to do with the black culture and their flashy "look at me, look at me" attitude? I think it has a lot to do with it and the NFL and NBA embrace it because it sells tickets. Wrong direction for sports in my opinion.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Well of the four major US sports NHL fans have the highest median income and education. I don't know what that means either. But when you talk about dumbing down a sport to appeal to it's fan base....

Dave

Psychosomatic

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Metairie
    Whenever I see things like this I think of a quote a wrestling coach gave me in high school, "Your job when your on that mat is to kill your opponent, the refs job is to stop you from doing so." That is exactly what they are doing stopping them from killing each other, so I really don't see a problem with it.

~Psycho

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Whenever I see things like this I think of a quote a wrestling coach gave me in high school, "Your job when your on that mat is to kill your opponent, the refs job is to stop you from doing so." That is exactly what they are doing stopping them from killing each other, so I really don't see a problem with it.

~Psycho

^THIS^

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Ncaa > Nfl

how can that be if the college players go to the NFL? The quality of play is much higher in the NFL. The atmoshere of college games make them fun to watch but the plays seem slower to me. I never watched college football til I moved to LA. Anyone that says college players play for the love of the game are kidding themselves. They are playing to hopefully cash in if and when they reach the NFL.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    If they put something like a kill switch on their spine and gave them a jolt just before making a devestating hit on another player that would stop the madness. Just like monster trucks have it they are about to run up in the stands. Just assign people with remotes to watch the players and right before they are about to lay the wood on someone, zap limp noodle. Of course I am joking but this could get out of hand. Intentional cheap shots are one thing and should be fined but when these guys start holding bach it will cheapen the game and I am not even a big pro football fan.

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    how can that be if the college players go to the NFL? The quality of play is much higher in the NFL.

NFL coaches tend to be much more conservative. You won't see many college games that are 12-9 or some other retarded number of field goals, but you will see that in the NFL. Fieldgoals may win games, but they sure as hell aren't interesting to watch.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    It's pretty simple IMO.

There is Hard HITTING Football Tackling like seen below;

LEGAL
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9jgP1brUn8[/ame]

and then there is just out right trying to SUCKER PUNCH a player like this;

ILLEGAL
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlAvYjHVfSg[/ame]

This is Illegal Intentional Helmet to Helmet on a Defenseless reciever. The defender could have shouldered him in the ribs, but instead dropped his hands and launched his head forward without evern attmpeting to tackle the player.

any questions? :D

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    Some of you are missing the point. Define "devastating hit"... now... see if you can get the NFL to define it. These suspensions are going to be so subjective that they will indeed ruin the game. We already have defensive players pulling up and allowing runners to juke them instead of going out of bounds because of the inconsistent calls of hitting out of bounds. We have at least one example that I can think of where a defensive player had the QB wrapped up and let him go instead of dropping him to the turf for fear of being called for roughing the passer. This will simply lead to even more indecision.

All of these examples posted of helmet to helmet hits are pointless... there is ALREADY a rule against that. The problem is that the league has now set an impossible standard. Just WHAT is devastating? Is there going to be a suspension (likely multiple) for a hit(s) that are not helmet to helmet or leading with the helmet? YES... and that is just ********.

I'll say it like I heard someone say it today; no one is FORCING people to play this gladiator sport, they ALL know the potential consequences. Either play the game the way it was intended or call it something else.

Last edited:

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    Aside from the obvious changes to how the game is played there is also the issue of this rule causing more knee and leg issues. If the league makes even incidental helmet to helmet (ex. shoulder to chest then helmet rides up and collides with the other players helmet) a suspension offense, the players will end up being coached to tackle differently. How will they tackle? Likely by going low. This is going to cause a whole new level of problems.

Hard hitting is MEANT to be in the game. If a player wants to come across the middle on a slant or crossing route... they are met with a devastating hit to make them think twice about it the next time. This is what makes football in my estimation. A receiver comes into the middle and has the courage and ability to concentrate and catch the ball KNOWING that he'll get lit up. Likewise when a defender is bearing down on the QB and he remains focused to complete the pass. Take that away and it is no longer football... just call it something else.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom