The NFL is determined to ruin the game of football

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    Huff & puff? If you can't see the difference between a helmet to helmet hit and what I'm talking about then I see no need to engage you further. Puff that.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Post #34 explains it quite well.

I just don't understand while you're all rawled up about it like it's the end of the world brother.

I mean no one on ESPN or the many other legitimate sports site's I've been on today seems to be that concerned. No where near the amount you seem to be. I'm just trying to understand why you so mad :D

hemadl.jpg

No hard feelings man, just wondering ;)

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    I'm not mad... just disgusted. In fact, the ESPN crew that had a lively discussion on this topic post MNF were equally disgusted (maybe even more so). Hell, even Steve Young had to acknowledge that what the league is doing is killing the game. In fact, my comment; ..."is no longer football... just call it something else", was a paraphrase of a comment made by Steve Young. If there is nothing being said today then I would guess that the league sent a message to the people who make their living covering the NFL.

ETA: Post 34 is fine... but a hit similar to the hit on Bush could very well end up being ruled a "devastating hit" if the angle is a bit different and the helmet rides up the players chest into his helmet. This is what I'm talking about. I'm not taking issue with hits even half as flagrant as the one posted in post 34... just as I'm not taking issue with one of the four hits that have the leagues panties in a wad.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    how can that be if the college players go to the NFL?

Did I say anything about them going to the NFL? No.

When the older players leave and go to the NFL, I say buuuuuuuh bye. Then the new players come into the picture. Then I watch more college football with new players. Understand the cycle yet? Or shall I further explain my opinion?

Plain and simple I don't give a flying ____ ( insert bad word here ) about the NFL or any professional football league. ;)

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I watched the post game on MNF as well, and parallel is right-- it was a pretty heated discussion. I also liked how Steve Young basically called most of the quarterbacks in the NFL crappy-- "They're simply not good enough to read the complex looks they are seeing, and they set the receivers up for these big hits", to paraphrase. To which Dilfer responded, "You and I both know that Brett Favre throws into traffic more than any other QB now, or when we were playing." I LOL'd, because there's a lot of truth in what both of them are saying.

I see a lot of similarities between this issue and gun laws. My opinion is that the rules (laws) already on the book should be enforced. When you start adding rules (statutes) that are poorly worded and open for interpretation, you're going to cause all sorts of problems.

I also agree with Hitman that it won't be a game ending issue, but it does open the door for other things that might well ruin the game. Frankly, it should be totally up to the players to have the professional courtesy to not intentionally injure each other. However, that not being the case, the rules need to be clear and enforced consistently. Some of these guys are thugs, with nothing more than freakish size and speed separating them from the scum we "cheer for" only when they accost the wrong permit holder or police officer. As such, they need to be policed like any other criminal-- only they should almost always get caught, as they are under constant surveillance.

DAVE_M said:
    Plain and simple I don't give a flying ____ ( insert bad word here ) about the NFL or any professional football league.

Which is entirely your prerogative. However, when you choose to post in a thread about NFL Rule Changes, and offer nothing more than "NCAA > NFL", what exactly are you adding to the topic by giving your opinion? While trolling might seem like a good idea, it's a lot more... well... mature to simply start a topic on the subject.

And for the record, I don't prefer one over the other-- I watch them both and enjoy understanding the things that make them so different.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Which is entirely your prerogative. However, when you choose to post in a thread about NFL Rule Changes, and offer nothing more than "NCAA > NFL", what exactly are you adding to the topic by giving your opinion? While trolling might seem like a good idea, it's a lot more... well... mature to simply start a topic on the subject.

Same reason florida and bama fans post in LSU threads, to make people like you get their panties in a twist. :fawk:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Same reason florida and bama fans post in LSU threads, to make people like you get their panties in a twist. :fawk:

:blah::doh:

Whelp, I gotta say-- I respect your honesty. I just never understood the appeal, regardless of how common it is here on the Interwebz.

For the sake of discussion, if they implemented the same rule for NCAA football, what would you think?

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I'm not mad... just disgusted. In fact, the ESPN crew that had a lively discussion on this topic post MNF were equally disgusted (maybe even more so). Hell, even Steve Young had to acknowledge that what the league is doing is killing the game. In fact, my comment; ..."is no longer football... just call it something else", was a paraphrase of a comment made by Steve Young. If there is nothing being said today then I would guess that the league sent a message to the people who make their living covering the NFL.

ETA: Post 34 is fine... but a hit similar to the hit on Bush could very well end up being ruled a "devastating hit" if the angle is a bit different and the helmet rides up the players chest into his helmet. This is what I'm talking about. I'm not taking issue with hits even half as flagrant as the one posted in post 34... just as I'm not taking issue with one of the four hits that have the leagues panties in a wad.

Roger, I'm tracking now after reading a bit more on espn.com this morning.

I didn't realize the terminology they are now using. :(

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I think they'll be firm on what is intentional and what isn't.

In the end it's the biggest fan driven sport in the nation, they can either please the fans and the players, or they'll lose money and we know damn we'll they don't want to lose money.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    :blah::doh:

Whelp, I gotta say-- I respect your honesty. I just never understood the appeal, regardless of how common it is here on the Interwebz.

For the sake of discussion, if they implemented the same rule for NCAA football, what would you think?

As far as the rule goes for any league, I find it stupid. There are the pros and cons, but giving up major yards ( which can decide the outcome of the game ) because little johnny hit jimmy too hard is bull****.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom