This might start an argument....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowman

Been there, done that
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 7, 2020
    SE Baton Rouge, La.
    How many of you think an AR-15, using 5.56x45 ammo, is a good home defense weapon? You really ought to check out this well done video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Xv6kjKpE4

I was astounded. This brings up the issue of penetration power. If I were ever in a worst case self-defense scenario I want the bullet to come to rest inside the threat. No one wants to endanger innocent lives and property on its other side. What are your thoughts about this?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Rule #4 doesn’t change depending on what firearm you have.

Overpenetration is a term that describes what the projectile does after if penetrates the intended target.

Everything will go through walls. Don’t miss.

To add, I'm less concerned with over penetration and penetration through walls and more concerned with being able to put rounds on target.

Something you are proficient with will trump whatever caliber or ammunition type you choose. It's pointless if you can't hit anything and I don't specifically plan to miss by choosing ammunition that won't penetrate a wall. If it doesn't penetrate drywall, it won't be amazing in a human. I have the most training with a pistol, followed by a rifle, followed by a shotgun. It's very unlikely I will grab a shotgun.

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    It's going to be a personal preference thing . I have no use for my AR as an INSIDE home defense weapon . Do whatever suits you though .

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    How many of you think an AR-15, using 5.56x45 ammo, is a good home defense weapon? You really ought to check out this well done video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Xv6kjKpE4

I was astounded. This brings up the issue of penetration power. If I were ever in a worst case self-defense scenario I want the bullet to come to rest inside the threat. No one wants to endanger innocent lives and property on its other side. What are your thoughts about this?
    No argument from me. I know my house well enough to not shoot toward my family in the event of a break in, but that won’t save the neighbors. No AR in house for me. We prefer 12 and 20ga #4 and #3 buck. Most everything will penetrate walls to some extent, but rifle rounds traveling at 3k fps are a little excessive in the penetration department.

snowman

Been there, done that
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 7, 2020
    SE Baton Rouge, La.

I think this guy in the video doesn't get it. He mocks concern about over penetration. If you shoot at the threat and miss and hit a bystander, no particular cartridge is going to help you. But if I pull the trigger in a self defense situation, inside or outside the home, I probably won't have time to worry about where the bullet will go if it continues out the back of the threat. I want that consideration addressed, to the extent possible, before I ever encounter trouble. That means I want a cartridge that I know will have the best chance of stopping inside the threat. That means lower velocity, lighter bullet, softer tip, greater expansion. Some cartridges are far better choices, assuming over penetration is a concern for you. I'm sure it is for all of us.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    If all you had was a small pocket .22lr or say .25acp over penetration is still a concern. It comes down to training with what you have, using whatever firearm your better with, having a plan, and knowing the layout near and around you. Just my .02

I do agree any rifle round in a house would be a little much in my situation and probably for most who have neighbors or kids.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I think this guy in the video doesn't get it. He mocks concern about over penetration. If you shoot at the threat and miss and hit a bystander, no particular cartridge is going to help you. But if I pull the trigger in a self defense situation, inside or outside the home, I probably won't have time to worry about where the bullet will go if it continues out the back of the threat. I want that consideration addressed, to the extent possible, before I ever encounter trouble. That means I want a cartridge that I know will have the best chance of stopping inside the threat. That means lower velocity, lighter bullet, softer tip, greater expansion. Some cartridges are far better choices, assuming over penetration is a concern for you. I'm sure it is for all of us.

You may want to rewatch the video.

bowhtr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2016
    US
    If you so choose to use an ar for home defense use varmint rounds. Major damage low penetration. I will stick with my pistol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

snowman

Been there, done that
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 7, 2020
    SE Baton Rouge, La.
    If all you had was a small pocket .22lr or say .25acp over penetration is still a concern. It comes down to training with what you have, using whatever firearm your better with, having a plan, and knowing the layout near and around you. Just my .02

I do agree any rifle round in a house would be a little much in my situation and probably for most who have neighbors or kids.

I agree that having a plan is a good thing, but I can't help but recall two similar quotations that are worth mulling over:

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." Sun Tzu, The Art Of War

and

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Like Dave said, ANY round from ANY home defense capable firearm will penetrate through walls. Use the gun you perform the most proficiently with and be aware of what’s behind your target.

Haven’t pulled this link up in years, but still a great resource: https://www.theboxotruth.com/tag/original-chapters/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Speed beat me to it. Plus, have shot at many different media in Advantage Group Training classes and seen results first hand. I suggest you see for yourself and do your research from legitimate resources. A lot of false info on the net.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Or you could just keep that AR10 loaded at the bedside and not worry about it. If I lived in a cabin in the woods and had no neighbors that’s prolly what I’d do. Not having to fear killing an innocent or being sued is a good thing.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Speed beat me to it. Plus, have shot at many different media in Advantage Group Training classes and seen results first hand. I suggest you see for yourself and do your research from legitimate resources. A lot of false info on the net.

When we shot a slab of pork with 77gr smk point blank at the med class, the bullet was retained albeit fragmented. It was eye opening. There is a ton of fuddlore on the interwebs.

I always default to LEA favorites. They do their homework, unlike most of the gun owning population. Funny how they don't use #4 shot, varmint rounds, or an AR10.

Like the video I posted from John Lovell says, a round that penetrates, but doesn’t penetrate doesn’t exist.

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I agree that having a plan is a good thing, but I can't help but recall two similar quotations that are worth mulling over:

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." Sun Tzu, The Art Of War

and

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson

That’s not from The Art of War or Sun Tzu at all.

————

Why do people think that buck shot won’t over penetrate?

BrandonPle

Gunlover
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Watson
    Or you could just keep that AR10 loaded at the bedside and not worry about it. If I lived in a cabin in the woods and had no neighbors that’s prolly what I’d do. Not having to fear killing an innocent or being sued is a good thing.

I sure hope it'd be suppressed !!
    Talk about a ear drum splitter if not

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If you so choose to use an ar for home defense use varmint rounds. Major damage low penetration. I will stick with my pistol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Please no.

Did you watch the whole video? I don't think that's what he said at all...

Top Bottom