This might start an argument....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    When you all say supressor.. Do you mean like a pillow wrapped around the barrel? Down feather? Synthetic? Memory foam?

Cans.
    Mufflers.
    Whisper Pickles.
    The Forbidden Popsicles.

Requires paying the feds $200, do not pass go, wait a while to get one.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Every defensive caliber is going to be beyond safe hearing levels, especially when indoors. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to put a silencer on any home defense firearm you so choose.

Unsuppressed 9mm pistols are on par with the sound levels of 556.

while I agree they are all loud I’d have to say 556 sure sounds a heck of a lot louder than 9mm does. I’ve experienced 9mm going off in close quarters without ears on. Tbh it wasn’t nearly as bad as I anticipated it would be. 556 I have not and don’t plan on.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    while I agree they are all loud I’d have to say 556 sure sounds a heck of a lot louder than 9mm does. I’ve experienced 9mm going off in close quarters without ears on. Tbh it wasn’t nearly as bad as I anticipated it would be. 556 I have not and don’t plan on.

150-160 decibels for each. It’s not much different.

I’ve seen sound metering tests where 9mm was only 3 decibels less than 223/556.

Shotguns are just as loud.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    150-160 decibels for each. It’s not much different.

I’ve seen sound metering tests where 9mm was only 3 decibels less than 223/556.

Shotguns are just as loud.

Worth noting, decibels are an order of magnitude distinction. 160 decibels is 10 times louder than 150 decibels. 170 decibels is 100 times louder than 150 decibels.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Worth noting, decibels are an order of magnitude distinction. 160 decibels is 10 times louder than 150 decibels. 170 decibels is 100 times louder than 150 decibels.

You’re not wrong, but the belief that 162 decibels is okay and 165 decibels is gonna blow your ear drums is just silly.

Every defensive caliber is loud.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    You’re not wrong, but the belief that 162 decibels is okay and 165 decibels is gonna blow your ear drums is just silly.

Every defensive caliber is loud.

Absolutely correct. Still, it’s good information for people to have, especially when they start looking into cans, so they understand what they’re buying and why they’re buying it. If you tell someone they’re going from 150db to 120db some will see it as a 20% reduction, not a 1000 to 1 reduction.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Absolutely correct. Still, it’s good information for people to have, especially when they start looking into cans, so they understand what they’re buying and why they’re buying it. If you tell someone they’re going from 150db to 120db some will see it as a 20% reduction, not a 1000 to 1 reduction.

That’s also true. It’s eye opening for some to hear a suppressed AR-15 for the first time and realize it’s not *that* quiet.

Still, I’d take 138-140 dB over 165 any day, but I’m not going to pretend that pistols and shotguns are not also extremely loud.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    So I was following this thread and talk of the effects of gunshots inside a house. I was going to mention the auditory exclusion and how the body reacts to stress blah blah blah. I was going to post an article that would explain in depth the effects of fight or flight and ran across this article. All I can say is WOW, please don’t believe everything you read on the internet. Your hearing can be damaged from the pressure of gunshots even during audio exclusion. From what I understand(I’m just a cop, not a doctor) the brain shuts down the hearing and it has nothing to do with the ears. But here is the article for your viewing pleasure

https://www.vanceoutdoors.com/range/blog/hearing-protection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    That’s also true. It’s eye opening for some to hear a suppressed AR-15 for the first time and realize it’s not *that* quiet.

Still, I’d take 138-140 dB over 165 any day, but I’m not going to pretend that pistols and shotguns are not also extremely loud.

You're spot on, It's still loud in a deer stand with the can hanging out the window,Not something one would want to set off in the ol hallway without hearing protection.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    You're spot on, It's still loud in a deer stand with the can hanging out the window, Not something one would want to set off in the ol hallway without hearing protection.

But, hell man, no sweat! Just tell the intruder already "inside" your house to give you a second to grab your ear muffs. You may have to say; "Please" or "Simon Says." Trust me; they'll understand! :D

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    But, hell man, no sweat! Just tell the intruder already "inside" your house to give you a second to grab your ear muffs. You may have to say; "Please" or "Simon Says." Trust me; they'll understand! :D

I’ll sacrifice hearing to protect the family all day.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    im already deaf... plus we all keep the special forces helmet with built in muffs and nv like the one on call of duty by the bed right??? or am i alone....

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    So I was following this thread and talk of the effects of gunshots inside a house. I was going to mention the auditory exclusion and how the body reacts to stress blah blah blah. I was going to post an article that would explain in depth the effects of fight or flight and ran across this article. All I can say is WOW, please don’t believe everything you read on the internet. Your hearing can be damaged from the pressure of gunshots even during audio exclusion. From what I understand(I’m just a cop, not a doctor) the brain shuts down the hearing and it has nothing to do with the ears. But here is the article for your viewing pleasure

https://www.vanceoutdoors.com/range/blog/hearing-protection

I have been in a house when a
    a 30/ 06 was fired under stress and it was not like a cap gun but I could hear normal conversation right afterwards . I have also been in a house when an idiot playing with a 30/30 let one fly and it hurt pretty much and it was a while before I could hear normally . I don't know for a fact if it will be the same evertime but from those experiences I have to agree the article has at least some credibility .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

Well there you go,Put forth some kindness and compassion to the intruder,Make him a sammich and ask if a bad man played with his wee wee

Ask if you can give him some money to help him out maybe? Offer him the spare bedroom for the next night or two. Why the list of possibilities are endless.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I have been in a house when a
    a 30/ 06 was fired under stress and it was not like a cap gun but I could hear normal conversation right afterwards . I have also been in a house when an idiot playing with a 30/30 let one fly and it hurt pretty much and it was a while before I could hear normally . I don't know for a fact if it will be the same evertime but from those experiences I have to agree the article has at least some credibility .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

It’s the long term damage that gets you, even though you don’t hear the ringing etc

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1bullseyebum
    Top Bottom