This might start an argument....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowman

Been there, done that
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 7, 2020
    SE Baton Rouge, La.
    That’s also true. It’s eye opening for some to hear a suppressed AR-15 for the first time and realize it’s not *that* quiet.

Still, I’d take 138-140 dB over 165 any day, but I’m not going to pretend that pistols and shotguns are not also extremely loud.

I have a 5.56 suppressor and I can shoot an AR-15 with it outdoors (I've not tried it indoors) easily without ear protection.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The wife has a PHD in Audiology, true story. I made her read this thread. She shook her head the entire time.
    Somebody got points for realizing the difference that 10db can make. This woman makes me wear hearing protection to mow the yard. Prolonged exposure to 80db can cause hearing loss and above 115db even for an instant can cause irreversible damage to the cochlea. For every 3db rise above 85db, the safe listening time is. It by half. The damage and resulting hearing loss is cumulative.
    I realized at some point in my life that I was hearing crickets and other night insects (while trying to go to sleep) even in the dead of winter, or while sleeping days with ear plugs. Tinnitus is real. Hearing loss is real.

Attachments

• C4B5C86A-70BC-45B1-9D9B-B21F61F24190.png
      C4B5C86A-70BC-45B1-9D9B-B21F61F24190.png
      72.7 KB · Views: 72
    Last edited:

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    A buddy had a brain-fart whilst finger-banging his new XD-9 when he got it back in the day, and "dry-fired" a live round which proceeded through one hollow-core door, two interior walls, and into the hollow-core door in his daughter's bedroom. It shook him pretty bad, but certainly illustrates how penetration and angles/layout are important considerations.

I can't remember the specific youtube channel name, but there's a guy who does lots of rimfire videos, and one I was watching showed .22(LR or Mag, I don't remember) zipping through something like 9 of 12 layers of drywall that he set up, if I recall properly. The .22 Mag made Swiss cheese of a cast iron pan, and on thinner parts where a name was impressed on the pan bottom, even .22LR did the job.

As for the OP video of shooting the Suburban, I've done some of that on the range in training, and you can get through plenty in most vehicles, even with handguns, although the projectile configuration might become more of a factor with pistol rounds. Years back, we had a shooting incident where a perpetrator started lighting up one of our units initiating a traffic stop of a rolling stolen, exited and immediately started firing with .45 ball. He got some into the hood, through the firewall, and into the dash area, and one that went through the windshield went through the driver's headrest, prisoner barrier plexi, hard polymer rear seat, stopping at the metal before the rear axle area. The officer had leaned right as low as he could over the center console and wasn't struck, thank God. Another officer arriving on a different angle as the shooting commenced began firing out through his windshield with the 9mm+P hollowpoints we were issued then, I think Remington of some configuration at the time, and one round went through the window glass of the open vehicle door the perp was standing within and struck his arm. They later recovered some lead core portions of the 9mm rounds near the perp vehicle which appeared to have been stripped of their jacket going through the windshield, impacting the actual metal of the door and denting but not penetrating, but would have additionally wounded the perp had they made it through. The decision after that incident was to transition to .45s, which we stayed with for years, and they went to hollowpoints that were touted as having better bonding of the jacket to the core.

All together from the above observations, hit the bad guy with no objects in front of him, and plenty behind him, and you should be alright.:x:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    The wife has a PHD in Audiology, true story. I made her read this thread. She shook her head the entire time.
    Somebody got points for realizing the difference that 10db can make. This woman makes me wear hearing protection to mow the yard. Prolonged exposure to 80db can cause hearing loss and above 115db even for an instant can cause irreversible damage to the cochlea. For every 3db rise above 85db, the safe listening time is. It by half. The damage and resulting hearing loss is cumulative.
    I realized at some point in my life that I was hearing crickets and other night insects (while trying to go to sleep) even in the dead of winter, or while sleeping days with ear plugs. Tinnitus is real. Hearing loss is real.

No worries, Once you've been married long enough you won't hear the wife either !

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    If you go set up some mock walls like your home is, you can see how much a said round will penetrate WHEN you miss. Good luck on your choice. I think the only recent case I've heard of someone killing an unarmed person by a stray bullet and wasn't guilty was the unfortunate event on March 13, 2020.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    My favorite overpenetration story was an attempted shooting down the street from a New Orleans East club that was investigated by a friend of mine.
    An unidentified man was fired upon in front of a bank after fleeing a club on Crowder Rd. It is believed the shots were fired from inside a vehicle as there were no casings found. The intended victim was not hit by any of the rounds fired and was able to continue his flight from the scene. At least 5 rounds went into the bank window and the water mane was penetrated casing the building to flood. What was initially believed to be 7.62x39 rounds were found to be 10mm Silvertips. The absence of casings and low number of rounds fired is an indication that a Smith 610 revolver may have been used. A 6 inch barrel would have also contributed to the penetration.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1bullseyebum
    Top Bottom