Thoughts on the FEG PA63 9mm Makarov

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    I've been seeing these pistols sell for around $200 or so. Anyone own one or have experience with it? Looks like a neat beater gun to keep in the van but don't know much about it. Please enlighten me.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Yeah,I've heard all that too. I found one for $150 and was thinking of getting it just to hide it in my van as a last resort. Don't even want to stock up on ammo...maybe 500 rounds max,that's it.

RocknRolla

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Abita Springs, La
    If you're looking for something cheap, smaller than a true mak, and chambered in 9x18 - look for a p-64. It's all steel, kinda looks like a ppk. I have one in my pocket right now, but they are kinda big for pocket carry. You can find them for about $200.

9x18 isn't that hard to find, you just can't usually get it at academy. Cheaper Than Dirt always has it in stock as does most online places like that.

frogger2662

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 14, 2008
    Denham Springs
    I have both PA63 and p64.
    Both have lighter springs.
    My favorite of the two is the PA63.
    I own just about every type of 9x18 pistol made.
    The true makarov is hands down my favorite.
    My opinion you will not be disapointed with a PA63 with a spring kit.
    Very easy to install.
    Ammo is no problem to get and if all else fails make some from 9x19 brass.

Last edited:

rob52

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    I have a Makarov and it was my concealed carry gun until I replaced with with the Taurus 740 slim. Although the Makarov is not the prettiest gun it is very reliable and accurate for it's size. Ammo is available all over the place and cheaply. The last few boxes I purchased at Cabellas. It's a little complicated to completelty take down but once you do it a few times it's no big deal. For the price of the gun I don't see how you could go wrong.

Vegasjay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Carencro, LA
    I recommend the CZ 82. http://classicarms.us/ Same price much better pistol IMHO. The most expensive thing for them are the mags $20 or so. I also found a few in Lafayette gun shops for $250, so I'm sure you can do better where you are if you want to buy local.

Jimbeaux82

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Natchitoches, LA
    I have 2 of the PA-63 pistols that I bought 3 years ago for $100 ea. All in all , not bad pistils but have a very heavy DA trigger pull that can be corrected with retrofit Wolff springs , and terrible grips which can be changed out as well. They are essentiall a Walther PP clone with an aluminum frame. My 2 have been very reliable pistols and surprisingly accurate pistols. Due to the aluminum frame, they are lighter than most and make a decent CCW pistol.
    Ammo is not a problem. The 9x18 cartridge is available online on all of the sites and is becomming more common in store as well.

However, for $200, the CZ 82 is a much better pistol in my opinion. I have 2 of these as well and plan to buy 2-3 more before the price goes up

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I am waiting for a P-64 to come in. I like the CZ-82, DA, safe, ambi, hi cap, hide out gun. not really potent enough to be a one shot stop but i don't want to take a slug from one either. P-64 and CZ-82 are both C and R guns. I am considering getting more P-64s, if the one ordered ever gets here (avoid Royal Tiger a division of IO).

billy82269

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    DeQuincy, LA
    They look like a decent gun, but personally for the use you decribe I'd go with a surplus CZ-82, Roughly the same price, better quality, more capacity in the same size package.

frogger2662

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 14, 2008
    Denham Springs
    billy82269
    I will agree with you about qaulity and capacity.
    I own both and the pa63 is hands down a smaller pistol.
    For a small frame pistol the pa63 is very accurite due to the
    fixed barrel.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I love my PA63 I had lower duracoated black and it definatly gave it a more expensive look.. I put the wolf trigger sring kit in and it made a world of difference. as for frame cracking I went in on a group order about 5 years ago with 8 other friends and we have shot the mess out of these little guns and haven't had any issues. I shoot the wolf and brown bear cheap stuff to plink and keep it loaded with hornady 95gr hollow point when carried. I like the weight of PA63 way better then 64. Changing the grip was a must for me. The stock grip caused my hand to ride up to high and about 3 shots in slide would start biting the web of my hand. grips fixed it and is no longer a problem.
    DSCN0283.jpg
    Those are the stock grip but all I did was file off thumb rest as it was too high for me and add a houge sleave but I had not done it at time of photo.

Last edited:

Jimbeaux82

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Natchitoches, LA
    SGT KRAMER,

I would like to see a picture of your left grip that you filed down. On my factory grips , If you file too far you will create a hole as the raised portion of the grip, the finger rest, is hollow inside.

Thanks

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    mine is very hollow too and it did create a hole. that why I put the sleave over it. but the grip for me at least was not useable and the aftermarket grips I found made for the gun were expensive.. seemed silly to spend too much on a bargin pistol. But I'll find my camera cord when wife gets home. as a afterthough I could have filled the hollow portion with epoxy or something then ground it smooth as there it no funtion with the hollow portion... no parts move under it or anything.

Nevermind I guess thier not so expensive anymore http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=472231&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Gunsmithing%20-%20Grips-_-PriceCompListing-_-472231 I just ordered a set.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom