Three Types metric..FAL stocks

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    kajuntriton,
    I think it would be great if you made a sort of, pictorial on this thread showing the different stock types that might be found on FAL rifles. Feel free to use any of my pics if you like. You got me curious about this "A", "B" and "C" thing. I would also like to know about the plastics too. Might as well look at hand guards and pistol grips too. I will help anyway I can. Thank you in advance.
    Al

OK here we go with the stocks, The "A" stocks and "B" stocks are about the same in length but both are about an inch longer than the "C" stocks!

First is an "A" stock it makes like some strange "wings" flange that wrap the lower receiver and because it is closer to the pivot lever, you will see on the left side there is a notch cut into the wood to allow this lever to be pushed to the rear to disengage the pivot.

132f7f1e.jpg

The Belgian style "B" stock does not have the "wings" but more like a bevel to meet the lower receiver and again the same length as the type "A".

100_0298.jpg

And lastly the type "C" well generally the type "C" again is about 1 inch shorter in length than the "A&B" another difference is the flange that slides over the forward end of the stock to meet the lower receiver.
    This style is common on the German G1, Izzy rifles, The South African rifles and others....

Kit-G1a-1.jpg

33nkkr9.jpg

You will all see these are the "Hump Back" butt stocks! That is another variation among riFAL's. More later! ;)

OH pistol Grips, well metric grips are all pretty much the same no variations other than in the earlier days more riFAL’s did use walnut to build PG’s as they learned wood breaks easier than plastic, they started phasing out the wood PG’s.
    On that note: ANYONE that has a metric riFAL and thinking about getting custom wood PG, NEVER pick up the rifle by the grip only! The wood grip WILL BREAK!!!!!

Hope this helps with the desire!

KT

Last edited:

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    The straight back stock is found on the STG riFAL's and the hump back stock is all others.
    The straight combed stock was developed by Steyr for the STG, and was never used on anything else. Even Belgian and early Steyr STG production used the wood humpback.

You will commonly hear people refer to the STG having a higher comb than the humpback, but if you superimpose them there is very little difference in actual height. I have heard some say that the STG has a higher felt recoil - I haven't experienced that, but the slightly different angle of the cheekweld might contribute to it , I suppose. The STG buttplate is vertical whereas the humpbacks is angled a bit - I have always felt this may have more effect than the comb shape. The difference between the two is not great, IMHO, but I find the humpback noticeably more comfortable overall, and I think there are a good number of others who are in the same boat. Not that the STG straight back is bad, but it is a step backward to the HUMPBACK!

LC

Top Bottom