Today

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    Nola, I did not draw nor ever indicate that I was armed. I was at the bumper, between two vehicles with Cat at my back. I was making sure the edp could not get close to her. The edp got close and reached up at touched my elbow. That is when I got very agreesive with a very stern "Do Not Touch Me!!" The edp then turned and walked away mumbling.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Nola I did describe it as a grab. It was a four fingered open palm gesture to his arm. Less aggressive than my 1pm impression I described earlier last night.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Spec I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. You did what you knew was necessary. Could you have front kicked him square in the chest? Probably. Could you have throw a right cross elbow, upper cut, eye gouge...list goes on... probably.

But you didn't. Why? B/c you didn't have to and you knew that. You observed the situation and calculated the odds and determined that this was not a robbery or assault attempt. Just a low life trying to press someone for booze money.

However next time it might be different b/c we learn from our experiences. Next time you might be quicker with the verbal commands while taking a defense stance thus creating a posture that says any closer and the **** will hit the fan!

This happen to me in a Walmart parking lot in Lake Charles. Dude was pissed I guess b/c I wasn’t rushing like a pit crew to put my kids and family in the car. Blew his horn some and then opened his door, and attempted to walk around the front of his car towards me. I had prepared for this moment minutes before when I saw him waiting to pull in the spot I was parked in. So before he made it to the front of the vehicle with my left hand pointing at him, and my right hand near my hip I yelled very loudly “You stop right f.ing there and stay the f.ck away from me!” …dude stopped dead in his tracks, gave me the finger and got back in his car. Of course my heart was beating through my chest and I too ran the situation over and over in my head. Next time I might do things different too.

Bottom line you made it out unharmed. Now prepare for the next time.

Cheers

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    Glad everyone is okay! Thanks for sharing this story. When I was younger I began to develop a fear of gas stations late at night because I've been approached over 4 times by people begging for money. 3/4 times they continued on their way when I said, "No cash, sorry." The last time was at a Shell on Vets when I saw this guy come around the corner from a motel (75ft) away from me. He made eye contact and began walking towards me. Introduced himself, smiles, proceeded to give me the long talk about all his hardships. Before he could get "I'd you could just spare..." I retorted that I had no cash and apologized. The situation then changed as he became rude and forceful. "Why don't you go inside and hit the ATM for me? I saw you use your debit card." I think that it could have gotten worse if I had not changed the tone and stance (I'm a large guy) to cause him to leave. To be honest, it's one of the main reasons I wanted my CCP.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    No video? you both fail!
    j/k...

Thanks for sharing the experience, though.
    Need to keep this stuff in the forefront of our minds.
    I feel this sort of thing may be more common, as the days go on.
    Situational awareness, and preparedness...

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    No video? you both fail!
    j/k...

Thanks for sharing the experience, though.
    Need to keep this stuff in the forefront of our minds.
    I feel this sort of thing may be more common, as the days go on.
    Situational awareness, and preparedness...

Exactly! This is why I always participate in the TDG's. They do indeed help!

deadidunn

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Hineston, LA
    Glad everyone is OK. I'll be sure to tell the women of my family to be observant if they go there. Thanks for the story, it definately hits home and helps keep these kind of situations on my mind.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Got ya guys. So really more "uncomfortable" than "threatening". Well, seems like it opened your eyes a little. The important thing is you are alright and you are thinking about what happened critically and honestly to do better next time.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    not trying to steal you thread, but people need to read your story and mine and realize how fast things like this hapen and how cornered you can be. One night me and a friend were walking up to another friends apartment porch at about 9:00 p.m. two guys were walking toward us down the path between the two buildings. they didn't appear till we were between the two buildings, and neithere of us had concealed carry at the time. they looked shifty, so I kind of sped up a little and got a hold of my frends porch gate and started to open it so I would be beyond arms reach. One of them grabed my friend right arm and shoved a gun in his stomach, "said give me you wallet". the other one stood there with his hands in his pants like he had another gun. I backstepped through the gate to be out of reach and facing him, and I was trapped on the apartment porch, with a closed and locked door behind me and two gunman blocking the exit to the poarch. still grabbing my friend while he pulled out his wallet, the first gunman pointed the weapon at me and said "I said give me your wallet" It happened so fast and I was so angry at my helplessness, all I could say was "No". He said "B%$#@, I'll kill you". I was very stupid and angry, so I yelled "F&^%@ you!" All three of them stared at me and I knew I was dead. really, no BS, it's a really bad feeling, I just stood there a couple seconds waiting for the bullet. they guys kept staring so I turned around, banged on my friends door and yelled come out, we're getting robbed. they bolted, as my friend came out the front with a shotgun. I hear people all they time talk about how they will see it comming, demonstrate special moves they will do to disarm people, be aware and never be in the situation, or whatever. I'm sure this story will be picked apart and everyone will have a suggestion on what they would do. Let me tell you it happens so fast the next thing you know you will have your arm pinned against your stomach, and a gun in your face, smelling this guys last meal. I carry two guns, one accesible to each hand. You can't be sure you'll see it coming and be able to be prepared. I feel most likely, you will be reacting, even if you see the shifty guys first as I did, and you will be in the fight of your life. If I had been my friend, and alone, I would thank god I had a second gun for my left hand. Cat, it sounds like you did everything the best you could and ultimatly would have kept everyone safe if things got worse. I don't think I would have called the police in your situation, that guy could have left from another exit in the retaraunt as it takes the police several min. to show up anyway, then you are standing there looking stupid to a police man who at most will ask the guy to leave the area.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    BTDT. However, I was smart enough not to verbalize it, smiled and said "Why, thank you SO much, dear!"

Of course, I had no clue she had bought it until she presented it to me. You do NOT tell your bride that the $800 present she just gave you really isn't what you wanted. So I pretended to like it, and shot it for a while.

And THAT is how I got hooked up with HK pistols...:D

Poor Spec. I can see it now; him totally ignorant of the fact that you already bought the gun and were planning to surprise him with it, telling you he had changed his mind...

Talk about being Clueless in a Minefield...:rofl:

Oh I hadn't bought it yet. I had sense enough to say hey, i have to go get it so I'll be out of town for the day. So A) my great and marvelous feeling "finally a present that I know he'll love" was crushed. He's so hard to buy for. And B) backing out of the deal did not improve my mood. It was my fault for jumping so quick. He rarely says "I want this".

Bless his heart. He's going to visit Zachary someday. :D

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Spec I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. You did what you knew was necessary. Could you have front kicked him square in the chest? Probably. Could you have throw a right cross elbow, upper cut, eye gouge...list goes on... probably.

But you didn't. Why? B/c you didn't have to and you knew that. You observed the situation and calculated the odds and determined that this was not a robbery or assault attempt. Just a low life trying to press someone for booze money.

However next time it might be different b/c we learn from our experiences. Next time you might be quicker with the verbal commands while taking a defense stance thus creating a posture that says any closer and the **** will hit the fan!

This happen to me in a Walmart parking lot in Lake Charles. Dude was pissed I guess b/c I wasn’t rushing like a pit crew to put my kids and family in the car. Blew his horn some and then opened his door, and attempted to walk around the front of his car towards me. I had prepared for this moment minutes before when I saw him waiting to pull in the spot I was parked in. So before he made it to the front of the vehicle with my left hand pointing at him, and my right hand near my hip I yelled very loudly “You stop right f.ing there and stay the f.ck away from me!” …dude stopped dead in his tracks, gave me the finger and got back in his car. Of course my heart was beating through my chest and I too ran the situation over and over in my head. Next time I might do things different too.

Bottom line you made it out unharmed. Now prepare for the next time.

Cheers

+1 Great reply!

Stuff can happen so fast and you really don't have a lot of time to react. Years ago, my wife and I were stopped at the video store (Sherwood Forest and Florida Blvd. in BR) and she went in to browse. I was leaning against the car between the rear driver's side door and the gas tank, smoking a cigarette waiting on her to come out. This shady looking guy comes walking through the parking lot and notices me standing there, then turns and makes a B-line straight towards me! :eek3: He's a good 10 parking places away when I shout, "I don't have anything for you, man." He keeps walking toward me and my heart was pounding like never before. So, I quickly opened the driver's door, sat down and reached my right hand into the glove box, gripping my 9mm, and turned my head to the left to re-evaluate. He was about 3-5 parking spaces away by now and frozen in his tracks... he says, "Whoa whoa whoa, man... you aint gotta get all crazy on me," turned and walked away. I never even pulled it out, but he knew what I was going for. What's especially scary to me is that if he had been intent on robbing me, he might have charged when I went for the door, leaving me no time to get my hands on the weapon. I consider my hesitation as a failure, but I was more concerned with drawing on an innocent.

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I think a lot of these stories illustrate how important it is to have your gun on your person where it is most accessible when needed and that you can actually grip, draw, and place accurate shots on target based on that combination of handgun, holster, dress, and manner of carry.

Conversely, I think they also illustrate that rarely is a gun the correct solution, but when it is, nothing but will suffice.

Last edited:

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    I think a lot of these stories illustrate how important it is to have your gun on your person where it is most accessible when needed and that you can actually grip, draw, and place accurate shots on target based on that combination of handgun, holster, dress, and manner of carry.

Conversely, I think they also illustrate that rarely is a gun the correct solution, but when it is, nothing but will suffice.

Couldn't agree more. Very well said.

Don't Panic
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Olla, La
    Good job!!

I run into these types regularly and typically I find myself giving them the "talkin' into the BT headset......WTF do you want" stare IF I am by myself. Gives me enough time to be on the ready, while dismissing any notions they may have that I actually was paying attention to them in the first place. I basically do not interact with them period.....I learned this the hard way while working overseas.

IMO, 9 times out of 10 these types confront you AFTER you have exited from said restaurant, store, gas station, therefore I have already pre-tuned my situational awareness because I am walking back into an area (ie parking lot, etc...) that I have already scanned for obstacles, potential threats, etc... before I initially exited my vehicle to enter said establishment.

Thanks for sharing!

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    I think a lot of these stories illustrate the importance of situational awareness and that you had better have other skills than relying on your weapon.
    In Spec's situation, with the 107M that close, drawing may not have been the best option.

Without reading down, think about yourself in a similar position?

How many of you thought you would draw and push out with a two handed grip on a close opponent giving them the opportunity to grab you piece instead of a close quarters grip?

Once they are that close, you had better have those other skills if you cannot create distance!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom