Todd Green - Aim Fast, Hit Fast - October 17 & 18 - Thibodaux, LA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    TDH...maybe you could attend with a Taurus Judge loaded with some birdshot .410? :rofl:

Seriously though, that does sound a tad intimidating. I'll have to try this next time I'm at the range.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Guys, I think there might be some apprehension surrounding the prerequisites.

The draw, shoot, reload, shoot thing should be pie for any shooter.
    8 seconds is a pretty lengthy time to draw, shoot one, reload, shoot two. Try it and see.

The 3x5 card might be holding some people back but it doesn't say it's time and it doesn't say you have to do it quickly.

You just have to hit it. The head of a silhouette is only a little taller than that. And we're talking about 15 feet here.

Anyway, I hope the prerequisites aren't scaring anyone away. If they are, go to the range and try. You'd probably be surprised.

Also, for you seasoned shooters, I sent Todd an email because of some concerns or questions people have posed that they want to ensure they will get something out of the class. This is his response:

JJ -- I am not going to teach anyone the super-secret magic way to shoot better. For a seasoned and accomplished shooter, there are a number of conflicting issues:

* He probably has his own "way" of doing things and may not want to try what I teach. That's perfectly fine by me, but obviously I can't guarantee someone will improve if he doesn't do what I teach.

* He probably has bad habits that he's not even aware of ... I do, too. Having another serious shooter diagnose what he's doing and offer correction is the only way to get over the kinds of humps that such shooters run into.

* Some really good shooters got to that point without really knowing exactly what they're doing or why; having someone explain and demonstrate things can sometimes help them progress further in their own training.

* Putting a lot of rounds downrange shooting someone else's drills, under pressure in front of other students, with a good instructor watching what you're doing is good for anyone.

I can take a second or more off of a mediocre shooter's reload. I can not take a second off of someone's reload if he's already doing 1.5 reloads ... just not going to happen. <g>

The entire point of this class is to push each individual. For someone who struggles with accuracy, we push him to get better hits without worrying too much about speed. For someone who is accurate but not fast, we push him to go faster. For someone who is both accurate & fast already, we push him to be better and overcome training plateaus. Each shooter is an individual and the advice I give to one guy is going to be completely different than what I give another. Focusing on each individual shooter and giving him a chance to improve at his level is my goal.

It works out for me regardless. Someone who feels like he's too good to need this class probably isn't going to be the kind of student I want to work with nor the kind of student the other participants want to be around. It becomes a self-correcting problem in most cases. Someone who thinks the class might be a waste of his time shouldn't sign up ... for everyone's sake.

Hope that answers your question. Stay safe!

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    "The entire point of this class is to push each individual. For someone who struggles with accuracy, we push him to get better hits without worrying too much about speed."

"Each shooter is an individual and the advice I give to one guy is going to be completely different than what I give another. Focusing on each individual shooter and giving him a chance to improve at his level is my goal."

Those statements tell the story; at least, to me they do. IOW, he does NOT expect everyone to perform to the same "standard", and he evaluates each student as he goes; which is what a good instructor should always do.

I'll echo Jeremy's advice NOT to nut up over the 3x5 card "requirement". Like he said; no time limit, and 15 feet is close. From Mr. Green's statements, I suspect he will start everybody out at a baseline, and work with the slower shooters and let the hotdogs run with it, so to speak.

IOW... nobody should feel intimidated. I remember a few similar comments made about the Awerbuck class, to wit "I don't want to embarass myself in front of all you big guns".

Guess what? Nobody embarassed themselves, and all the "big guns" turned out to be ordinary shooters.

I'm expecting this class to be very educational; for all attendees.

Get on the bus...

+1

That is how I run my group classes also. Some classes are made for new beginners, and some classes require a certain baseline. the 3x5 is his way of setting a baseline. Not very difficult IMHO.

Shenaniguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Hello everyone,

I'm a friend of Spanky from another board and I figured that I'd help him out with any questions from a students view of AFHF. Any questions that you have, I can try and answer...

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rmsize
    Top Bottom