Top law enforcement officials beg legislators not to override concealed carry veto

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    If you worked with the police then you know the chief is not there for every traffic stop and call for service and cannot be aware of every use of discretion. And if you know that and still pull support from the patrolman based on what the chief says, I don't know what to say. You may not be anti-cop but it's tough to argue you are for them.[/

I get what your saying however I highly doubt a LEO is going to let someone go carrying a firearm illegally regardless if they have a clean record or not. It’s not the same as getting a warning when your speeding or being let off of the hook for running a stop sign.
    I am not anti cop and maybe that’s how you see me and that’s fine. At this point I’d say I’m neutral on the situation until some more time passes. Regardless of the outcome I am not a person who will ever be anti police I just simply wouldn’t support them any longer.

Last edited:

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    After watching them two idiots on the news, especially Craig Webre just proves they are ignorant. Passing the concealed carry bill will not increase danger to LEO. Criminals carry concealed all the time and will continue to do so. Only people legally allowed to have a gun can carry. you F'n LEO's that back the veto are the problem. Why don't y'all go catch the criminals and legal gun owners alone.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Yes, they are trying to influence the lawmakers. They are saying their experience with enforcing the law puts them in a position of authority to provide needed information. You are welcome to disagree with them. You are also welcome to try to influence lawmakers.

I did! They had their chance BEFORE the legislature passed it with a majority.

So the lawmakers have not passed concealed carry without a permit. So right now, the law says that someone carrying a concealed weapon without a permit can be arrested. That issue was decided by a majority of lawmakers. Are you saying you support the arrest of people carrying concealed without a permit? After all, they're "elected/chosen to 'uphold' the people's laws."

They did pass it! By a veto proof majority in the Senate and an overwhelming majority in the House. An ideologue is blocking it for selfish political reasons. I would bet his reasons have nothing to do with safety!

I do not support the arrest, because as stated in another thread the offense is a misdemeanor. If the officer wants to ticket said individual like they do in N.O. for pot possession, that is within his discretion.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I get what your saying however I highly doubt a LEO is going to let someone go carrying a firearm illegally regardless if they have a clean record or not. It’s not the same as getting a warning when your speeding or being let off of the hook for running a stop sign.
    I am not anti cop and maybe that’s how you see me and that’s fine. At this point I’d say I’m neutral on the situation until some more time passes. Regardless of the outcome I am not a person who will ever be anti police I just simply wouldn’t support them any longer.

Ok. You are welcome to believe what you'd like to believe. Your opinion is based on doubt and speculation rather than any direct knowledge. You have a conclusion to uphold so, again, it won't matter what I or anyone else says. Your beliefs won't change.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I did! They had their chance BEFORE the legislature passed it with a majority.

They did pass it! By a veto proof majority in the Senate and an overwhelming majority in the House. An ideologue is blocking it for selfish political reasons. I would bet his reasons have nothing to do with safety!

I do not support the arrest, because as stated in another thread the offense is a misdemeanor. If the officer wants to ticket said individual like they do in N.O. for pot possession, that is within his discretion.

Then let me used different words to express the same concepts. It's not the law yet. The governor vetoed it. The lawmakers may attempt to override the veto. That's all part of the law making process. So as of now, the law is concealed carry only with a permit. And because that's the law, you must be ok with the police issuing a summons in lieu of a physical arrest. After all, they're "elected/chosen to 'uphold' the people's laws."

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Ok. You are welcome to believe what you'd like to believe. Your opinion is based on doubt and speculation rather than any direct knowledge. You have a conclusion to uphold so, again, it won't matter what I or anyone else says. Your beliefs won't change.

Your absolutely correct. Speaking to a stranger on the Internet is in no way going to sway my opinion and I wouldn’t expect it to do much to yours.

also regardless if your former Leo or not your opinion is also based on doubt and speculation.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Then let me used different words to express the same concepts. It's not the law yet. The governor vetoed it. The lawmakers may attempt to override the veto. That's all part of the law making process. So as of now, the law is concealed carry only with a permit. And because that's the law, you must be ok with the police issuing a summons in lieu of a physical arrest. After all, they're "elected/chosen to 'uphold' the people's laws."

I would say this^ supports the law in your context.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Your absolutely correct. Speaking to a stranger on the Internet is in no way going to sway my opinion and I wouldn’t expect it to do much to yours.

also regardless if your former Leo or not your opinion is also based on doubt and speculation.

Ah...the rubber/glue argument. But if someone is former leo and has used discretion to not arrest or summons someone who had a concealed weapon but no permit and no criminal history, perhaps in the case of a small female walking from work to her vehicle parked a ways away, their beliefs would be based on experience rather than doubt or speculation.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I would say this^ supports the law in your context.

Fair enough...some people believe it is a person's right to carry concealed without a permit and any legal action for doing so, even a summons, is wrong. I mistakenly put you in that group. I apologize. I see now you believe people should have to get a permit.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Fair enough...some people believe it is a person's right to carry concealed without a permit and any legal action for doing so, even a summons, is wrong. I mistakenly put you in that group. I apologize. I see now you believe people should have to get a permit.

I understand those sentiments too! College students in Idaho can carry on campus and in class Constitutionally. College kids! You know, dumb wet behind the ears 18 year olds. You really have to wonder how any politician can cling to the; "It's in the interest of safety" BS with a straight face?

The Supreme Court needs to finally hear the case that ends all this silliness!

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    decriminalize the crime of illegal carry essentially making a crime legal...

isnt that what we are trying to do lol... change it to legally conceal carry so it won't be illegal to carry without permit...
    And I guess they want everyone to think that concealed carry without a permit has always been illegal? Like that has always been the norm…
    The more they defend some of these laws, the more they expose the real reasons for them, as with any other gun control laws on the books. They push them under the guise of public safety when they actually make the public less safe. Meanwhile, in Chicago…

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Bravo!
    I don’t understand why some folks don’t get that but it’s obvious they not only don’t get it but almost can’t live with it.

Fredgr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2016
    Free state of Livingston
    This reminds me years ago when the legislature was debating legalizing right turn on red. Bunches of law enforcement came out to say what a horrible idea it because you know people weren't near smart enough to do it - there'd be bodies all over the roads. Some media is saying this is a put up job by Edwards so there won't be veto session.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    The Chiefs of Police Association...makes it sound like they are made up of the chiefs of police everywhere...instead of those chiefs of police that feel like being a member of that association...and who says they fully poll all of their members before their board takes a position, anyway? Capitol area law enforcement leaders...surrounding an urban center with high crime rates...and I'm not sure about all of them, but isn't Baton Rouge's police chief appointed, by a mayor or council that can kind of give him the message that he speaks, if he wants to stay in favor?

Pieces like this article are the worst kind of lazy, slanted journalism, no research to actually poll all police chiefs, no research to see what the rest of the law enforcement leaders in the state outside of the capitol area feel about it, just take the word of a few uniforms at a press conference and someone working for a group with a name that sounds authoritative, and throw it out as representative of all police leaders. Kind of like what all cops deal with when the media pounces on one bad incident.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    The Chiefs of Police Association...makes it sound like they are made up of the chiefs of police everywhere...instead of those chiefs of police that feel like being a member of that association...and who says they fully poll all of their members before their board takes a position, anyway? Capitol area law enforcement leaders...surrounding an urban center with high crime rates...and I'm not sure about all of them, but isn't Baton Rouge's police chief appointed, by a mayor or council that can kind of give him the message that he speaks, if he wants to stay in favor?

Pieces like this article are the worst kind of lazy, slanted journalism, no research to actually poll all police chiefs, no research to see what the rest of the law enforcement leaders in the state outside of the capitol area feel about it, just take the word of a few uniforms at a press conference and someone working for a group with a name that sounds authoritative, and throw it out as representative of all police leaders. Kind of like what all cops deal with when the media pounces on one bad incident.
    I agree . The Media only interviews the police who are under the politicians thumb or that are in tune with their agenda . Another point to consider would be that rank and file police are not usually allowed to speak to the press and are to direct questions to the proper personal . Fact is the public doesn't know how most cops feel about various laws or how far they are willing to go if Biden gets his way . That in itself causes suspicion and distrust . If we look at the example cops in non gun friendly states put forth we would think they are going to put the law ahead of the bill of rights. Hopefully more states will follow the pro second states and pass laws restricting cops and criminalizing them enforcing Federal Gun laws .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Ah...the rubber/glue argument. But if someone is former leo and has used discretion to not arrest or summons someone who had a concealed weapon but no permit and no criminal history, perhaps in the case of a small female walking from work to her vehicle parked a ways away, their beliefs would be based on experience rather than doubt or speculation.
    Your one person. I doubt the majority would operate that way but hopefully I’m wrong.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Ignore the typos. Not all Sheriff's are against Constitutional Carry.

212256393_4097783080271524_5139401438684839220_n.jpg

Top Bottom