Torque conveter....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    [RANT]

Just finished my first engine swap (or so I thought) after two full nonstop days only to turn the key and find out I didn't seat the torque converter all the way and the engine is binding.

june28%20rage%20face.jpg

Getting this car back on the road has been such a nightmare!!!

[/RANT]

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    As mentioned, be sure to check for damage to the transmission front pump. You also need to check the converter snout for damage and the flywheel could be bent.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    When you install the convertor there should be 2 clicks and set backs. When you mate the motor and bell housing, convertor should spin free and need to be pulled out from tranny 1/4"-3/8" of an inch to meet flex plate. Like he said check for pump damage inside tranny. Good luck !

Last edited:

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Victory is mine! Or at least I sure hope so.

I went to Harbor Freight this morning and picked up a transmission jack, so I wouldn't have to pull the whole damn engine again, within fairly short order I got my two clicks and I was ready to continue on. A few hours later it came time to try and start it again, I was sweating bullets and had knots in my stomach. The first 2-3 cranks it ran for 3-4 seconds and died, the following crank it came to life and held a nice steady idle. No smoke or any weird noises so I think I'm good, which probably means I am about to learn another really expensive lesson.

No damage to the snout or flexplate, and I assume the pump is working as ATF came spewing out of the transmission where the coolant lines are suppose to go.

Anyway thanks for the tips everyone.

Top Bottom