Training Today

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lets_Ride

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I bought a Sig branded Sig 320 pellet pistol from Academy. It is a CO2 pistol. I do not have a real 320 so I cannot compare them side by side but it is supposed to be very close weight and dimension wise. I bought a cheap holster for the 320 and it fits well. Not the real thing obviously but definately great for practicing presentation, trigger control and other basics.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    There are ranges that do the same, such as FRC, but I think the OP is looking for something an individual can use to supplement dry fire.

Does FRC teach shooters in the Sims class how to Slice the Pie when entering the room with a shooter inside?

Jlong1691

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2020
    Denham Springs
    Thank you for the feedback, and to address a few points and put out some fires. I have used simunitions before, the problem here being that they are still nigh on a dollar a round. While good for force on force training, and things you couldn't otherwise do, the cost situation is the major factor here. It was easy to shoot 500-1000 rounds at .15 a round. While I can probably find simunitions in sufficient volume, the cost is the nail in the coffin.

As far as Paintball goes, I think it bulds a lot of gun related skillsets, and re enforces and builds a related mindset. Due to the difference in ergonomics it does little in the way of helping muscle memory etc. I spent 25 years in paintball. Even had a paintball store. I value my time spent on the field as a particular type of training that is related, but will not fill the particular role of pistol proficiency that I am speaking of.

To the Canuk who asked about felt recoil and proficiency. Felt recoil has much to do with the follow through, realignment of sights, and the plethora of things that happen between shots. It is of utmost importance for training proficiency in many aspects of pistol shooting. I do not prescribe to the one round per second perfect world shooting of most range firing lines.

On a more personal level, we are all on this board for reasons of our own. We do however share common interests. Would it not be easier to build friendships, and more beneficial to the board, the act of shooting, and firearm ownership across the board. If we tried as hard to get along, as we did to create friction and rivalry with one another? There are obviously some elephants in the room. I know I have had some issues of my own with some. Much due in part to my general, and lackadaisical use of terminology. I tend not to be very specific when talking about a thing, because I, and most of the people I interact with would get the point, without further explanation. At one time I found entertainment value in this. Now it is arduous, and an act of labor to wade through, and I would generally just prefer not to do it.

Everyone who has commented on this has made valid points, and added value to the conversation. I know where Dave is coming from, and Magdump, etc.

I picked the pistol I did, because it said it would fit Glock holster., That is one of the issues Novritsch had with the other Glock pistols. I'll let you all know. Also did the pistol you had have hop up in to Dave, and did you try shooting the heavier BB's at range? I am really expecting to get decent accuracy at 15 yards. Beyond that I unserstand the limitations of the physics. I did order spare magazines as well for mag changes.

I do believe however that there will be value in using this as a training tool for my specific purpose, target tree, El Presidente, etc. I know it won't flip my targets on the tree, but the transition, sight alignment etc while not exact, will be very similar in ergonomics to my edc. A little versatility never hurt anyone, and I do train with multiple pistol platforms on a regular basis anyway.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I’ll share some links when I get back home, but there are some reduced steel targets for use with airsoft guns as a means of training steel challenge and USPSA. I bought mine specifically to shoot drills ten yards and in. It’s not quite powerful enough to punch through a cardboard IPSC, but it can definitely punch through paper.

I didn’t intend to derail the thread. I hope you get more answers, because I’ve been looking for something similar since I ran into the issues with my airsoft Glock.

Jlong1691

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2020
    Denham Springs
    I’ll share some links when I get back home, but there are some reduced steel targets for use with airsoft guns as a means of training steel challenge and USPSA. I bought mine specifically to shoot drills ten yards and in. It’s not quite powerful enough to punch through a cardboard IPSC, but it can definitely punch through paper.

I didn’t intend to derail the thread. I hope you get more answers, because I’ve been looking for something similar since I ran into the issues with my airsoft Glock.

I will definitely share my findings, pistol should be here Saturday. I know this pistol chronos in the 300 fps range with .20g BB's. They don't have much energy, but can fly straight for a fair distance if the hop up is adjusted, and working efficiently.

You didn't derail the thread. No one person ever does.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Thank you for the feedback,

On a more personal level, we are all on this board for reasons of our own. We do however share common interests. Would it not be easier to build friendships, and more beneficial to the board, the act of shooting, and firearm ownership across the board. If we tried as hard to get along, as we did to create friction and rivalry with one another? There are obviously some elephants in the room. I know I have had some issues of my own with some. Much due in part to my general, and lackadaisical use of terminology. I tend not to be very specific when talking about a thing, because I, and most of the people I interact with would get the point, without further explanation. At one time I found entertainment value in this. Now it is arduous, and an act of labor to wade through, and I would generally just prefer not to do it.

Good post. I agree. Hope you find the perfect fix.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    With the current ammo situation, has anyone considered using airsoft pistols to stay on top of your pistol game? Most namely GBB Pistols so there is some recoil, and report.

I've been leaning on .22 for my training needs, but that's mostly because I'm already invested in .22 pistols and ammo. If I move to airsoft, I'd need to start investing in new guns and ammo and whatever other junk I'd need.

But if I was starting from scratch, I'd give airsoft a look.

Mike

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I've been leaning on .22 for my training needs, but that's mostly because I'm already invested in .22 pistols and ammo. If I move to airsoft, I'd need to start investing in new guns and ammo and whatever other junk I'd need.

But if I was starting from scratch, I'd give airsoft a look.

Mike

I have access to a private range so shooting isn’t the issue. I already have the Airsoft Glock, but I’ll be completely honest and tell you that I’ve also been looking into a .22lr pistol. If you have the ammunition for it, shooting at a few cents per round is much better than $0.26-0.60/rd. That being said, I can shoot my airsoft Glock in the garage or backyard and no one will pay attention to it. The only inconvenience is setting up some form of a trap to catch the BB’s. I have plans to make a trap that I can attach to my IPSC stands, but I need to make it and test it out.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have access to a private range so shooting isn’t the issue. I already have the Airsoft Glock, but I’ll be completely honest and tell you that I’ve also been looking into a .22lr pistol. If you have the ammunition for it, shooting at a few cents per round is much better than $0.26-0.60/rd. That being said, I can shoot my airsoft Glock in the garage or backyard and no one will pay attention to it. The only inconvenience is setting up some form of a trap to catch the BB’s. I have plans to make a trap that I can attach to my IPSC stands, but I need to make it and test it out.

Some are now using ground up tires in their traps.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

I know it's a bit of a cliche, but I love my Glock 44. I can run the same rig that I run for my 17 and 19, and it does a pretty good job of approximating the feel of the "real thing."

I was lucky and stocked up heavily on .22 late in 2019. That said, I'm not burning through it like I normally would, 'cause I know it's going to be speedy to replace for a while.

Mike

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Some are now using ground up tires in their traps.

For bullet traps or airsoft BB’s? Because I’m not looking to purchase ground up tires to catch something a hand towel can.

I know it's a bit of a cliche, but I love my Glock 44. I can run the same rig that I run for my 17 and 19, and it does a pretty good job of approximating the feel of the "real thing."

I was lucky and stocked up heavily on .22 late in 2019. That said, I'm not burning through it like I normally would, 'cause I know it's going to be speedy to replace for a while.

Mike

My only hesitation towards the Glock 44 is the low magazine capacity (which isn’t THAT big of an issue) and the lack of RDS options.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I have 2 airsoft pistols I practice with. The 2011 is powered by green gas, and the CZ Shadow is powered by CO2. Both are excellent practice guns and beat dry fire practice in my opinion.

Top Bottom