Tula Parts Kit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Here is some inspiration.

afghanistan5.jpg

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Got my kits in today, they both look GREAT. Both have matching major parts (bolt/carrier, gas tube, top cover), and non-matching trunnion (seems to be the standard with these kits). Both look unissued and unfired, though one is slightly nicer on all accounts with nicer wood and all machined parts vs cast. I would've been happy with either one, but I'm glad I bought two!

Pics to come...

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    If it doesn't come with the original barrel, the who cares if the numbers match? You're going to have to headspace it anyway.

Because it's better than them not matching? :dunno:

Call it false security if you want, but I do find comfort in knowing as many parts as possible were made at the same place at the same time.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Some more info and pics...

I bought two kits, both were in identical condition. One had a 1968 trunnion, the other a 1975. The strange thing is, even though the trunnions aren't supposed to match, all of the parts were correct for the year. For example, the 1968 marked kit has all milled parts, and the old style buttstock sling mount. The 1975 kit has cast parts and the updated sling mount. So even though the numbers don't match, the parts seem to be all correct for the year according to my limited knowledge. These are definitely not thrown together from a pile of parts.

Both kits have some small arsenal marks in the wood, but they are not serialized. The pistol grips are the only thing I found "incorrect", based on their markings they are from the Ishmaz arsenal, not Tula. Also the mags are not Comblock, maybe Chinese?

Again, I'm no expert on parts identification. Regardless, at this price I'm more than happy with what I got and wouldn't care if a part wasn't correct for the year. Fact is I've got a pile of Russian made parts, made back when they made them right, that are practically brand new. What more could ya ask for? :D

Another thing of note, is I couldn't find a trace of cosmo or other preservative. Obviously whoever demilled the kits for import cleaned them as well. One less thing to worry about! :D

Some pics, I only took pics of one kit because they are practically the same, with the exception of the 1975 kit having nicer wood which I took a pic of.

tula_1b.jpg

tula_2.jpg

tula_3.jpg

tula_4.jpg

tula_5.jpg

Wood from 1975 kit...
    tula_6.jpg

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Those are some nice kits. I am wondering why everything matches but the trunnion.

I have no idea. Again, most of the parts aren't serialized which makes it trickier. The kit with 1975 trunnion has a flared top cover, cast barrel parts, side sling mount. All things that are correct for a 1974-77 rifle. If these kits were assembled from parts, either I got lucky with both kits or someone knew what they were doing. :dunno:

But again I'm no expert when it comes to identifying parts...

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I like the hand guard
    :D

Hey SpeedRacer who did you order your kits from?

I ordered from Cope's. $299 + shipping. If you're interested I *may* sell my extra kit, that was my original plan. But now that I have it it's gonna be hard for me to get rid of since they'll only get harder to find and more expensive. :hs:

Top Bottom