Unity Tactical 300BLK Bolt Gun Chassis

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    What is the weight of the stock/chassis? Or, put it another way, how does the rifle weight compare to a similar profile barreled action in a typical McMillian stock?

Less. Tell us how much a similar profiled barreled Action weighs in a McMillian Stock and we will tell you how much less.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    jmeng, I will weigh the whole setup tonight sometime.

This chassis is much heavier than what the Gen 2 will be, mainly because I didnt spend enough time on the mill to lighten it like was originally designed. It was a Proof of concept deal, and frankly on my mill, I just got tired of working on it. I didnt even get rid of all of the tooling marks before I coated it.

Ritten, lets get together sometime and you can put some rounds through it.

ETA:Nate beat me to it, but yes, it is lighter. The Gen 2 will be a substantial weight savings over this. Once I get some renders done of it, I will post some pictures. Hope to have the prototype of the Gen 2 in 6 weeks or so.

Last edited:

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Less. Tell us how much a similar profiled barreled Action weighs in a McMillian Stock and we will tell you how much less.

I phrased it that way to account for differences in barrel profile, shank lenght, etc. IIRC, the avg McMillian Hunting stock weights approx 32oz and the A series stocks are a little heavier. From the other posts I'm guessing this setup is lighter? That answers my questions of why this instead of a regular fiberglass stock. I don't consider myself a traditionalist but its hard for me to get used to this "look". Of course that doesn't matter much if it flat out works better. Amazing work guys, I can't imagine developing something like this from scratch.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I phrased it that way to account for differences in barrel profile, shank lenght, etc. IIRC, the avg McMillian Hunting stock weights approx 32oz and the A series stocks are a little heavier. From the other posts I'm guessing this setup is lighter? That answers my questions of why this instead of a regular fiberglass stock. I don't consider myself a traditionalist but its hard for me to get used to this "look". Of course that doesn't matter much if it flat out works better. Amazing work guys, I can't imagine developing something like this from scratch.

You're talking about two very, very different applications. A lot of people wouldn't need something like this setup, and may be better served by a traditional rig. But...those that have that need (or want) for this will jizz in their pants when they see it.

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    You're talking about two very, very different applications. A lot of people wouldn't need something like this setup, and may be better served by a traditional rig. But...those that have that need (or want) for this will jizz in their pants when they see it.

I hope this doesn't sound smartass because I truely don't know the answer but who has a need for this and what different application would this be for compared to a more typical light weight "tactical" rifle such as a Remington LTR or a custom equivelent?

Last edited:

Hunh Bruh

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    setting you free!
    I hope this doesn't sound smartass because I truely don't know the answer but who has a need for this and what different application would this be for compared to a more typical light weight "tactical" rifle such as a Remington LTR or a custom equivelent?

a backpackable gun....

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    in louisiana, i don't need a >300 yard gun to hunt.

Than why do we use .308's, .300 win mag, etc... J/k

On another note, to answer the question why does one need this particular rifle?
    Let me ask you, why don't I need this particular rifle?

That rifle is the definition of Art.

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    It weighs 9 lbs as pictured without the can. As weighed on an accurate scale.

Not too shabby considering that includes scope, mounts, and bipod.

I didn't realize the whole point was to have a backpack rifle, looks like its really perfect in that application.

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Than why do we use .308's, .300 win mag, etc... J/k

On another note, to answer the question why does one need this particular rifle?
    Let me ask you, why don't I need this particular rifle?

That rifle is the definition of Art.

I definitely understand that. I want plenty of guns just because I think they're cool but don't particularly have a use for. :D

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I didn't realize the whole point was to have a backpack rifle, looks like its really perfect in that application.

It truly is. I think "backpack rifle" may be misleading, think any application (especially LE and mil) where you can add a hell of a capability where space is limited. I wish he had pics of it all folded up, with a 9" barrel you could practically put the thing in your pocket.

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    It truly is. I think "backpack rifle" may be misleading, think any application (especially LE and mil) where you can add a hell of a capability where space is limited. I wish he had pics of it all folded up, with a 9" barrel you could practically put the thing in your pocket.

So many things to say about having 9"s in your pocket, but I will leave it alone.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Matthew Nodier
    Top Bottom