Universal M-1 carabine

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbeaux82

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Natchitoches, LA
    I have read some of the older posts and see that there is not a very high opinion of the Universals. Can anyone elaborate a little more as to why? Is it a jamming issue, accuracy issue or something else? At what price would you buy one? $300, $400 ???

Any info is appreciated.

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    Universals are not really M1 Carbines. Externally they look like one. But internally they have different parts. I had one years ago and it jammed all the time (it was used to be fair) and the gunsmith never could get it working right. The springs and parts in it were not the same as a real M1 Carbine. He couldn't get parts for it and parts were not interchangable with real M1 Carbines. He recommended I sell it and get a real M-1. So I did.

My advice, spend an extra 300-400 for $6-700 and buy a brand new M-1 Carbine by Auto-Ordinance. I bought one about 2 months ago and LOVE it. It's a great gun, doesn't jam and is brand new. For only a few hundred dollars more than a used Universal

Last edited:

kpm1234

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Lafayette
    Borrowed from here.

http://www.maxicon.com/guns/universal_m1/universal_m1_carbine_production.htm

First Generation:
    (Started with SN 0, ended between 93xxx - 104xxx):

The first generation Universal M1 Carbine mainly used USGI parts, including a USGI bolt locking mechanism. One example in the sub-5xxx SN range had an IBM barrel with flaming bomb emblem.

The transition in production between first generation and second generation is somewhere between 93xxx and 104xxx.

Second Generation:
    (Started between SN 93xxx - 104xxx, ended between SN 176xxx and 187xxx)

The second generation is where Universal got creative, started redesigning things, added the second recoil spring, and started to machine their own parts. This model eliminated the bolt locking mechanism all together. These had a leaf style flip rear sight, round bolt, magazine catch marked M, and new trigger housing. These could still accept the USGI trigger housing, and some had the M2 style metal upper handguard. The front sight was held on with a setscrew, rather than pinned as the USGI is.

The transition in production between second generation and third generation is somewhere between 176xxx and 187xxx.

Third Generation:
    (Started between SN 176xxx and 187xxx, went until end of production)

The third generation included cost saving designs that started the company's reputation for poor quality. Changes included a slide lock lever by the rear sight, the trigger housing was made of aluminum, and several safety features were deleted to reduce costs. This resulted in the ability of the rifle to fire out of battery.

The highest serial number documented so far is 486xxx.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bree
    Top Bottom