University of Phoenix

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benorth

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Was wondering if any of you have had any experience with there online programs? I am looking to use some of my TA form the guard and have read mixed reviews online. Whether you have used them through the military or privately, how was your experience? Any insight, tips etc. to get the ball rolling is appreciated. Also, any other online options is appreciated!

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    My wife took one class from them in Baton Rouge and didn't take anymore after that. She didn't feel like she was getting what she paid for. It is not cheap. She actually went to a classroom and didn't take the online class. Now my wife is not your typical student. Her idea and mine and your idea on what you should get from a school is probably a little different. She ended up going to Loyola and graduated with a 4.0 and was one of the top students in her class. I didn't see where you are from, but I would try the local community college first and get what you can from there. It is way cheiaper. In my opinion Phoenix is designed for people who are in the working world already and have money but need flexability to further their education as in trying to get a masters to put behind their name.

Last edited:

cableguy

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    A. How are you getting to use TA? Mine was cancelled (USMC) and I'm not too happy about it.

B. Run far away and as fast as you can from Phoenix. I spent about 8000$ on absolutely nothing. They're insanely expensive. Nobody respects their degrees, and virtually nothing will transfer to a real school. Waste of time and money.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    A. How are you getting to use TA? Mine was cancelled (USMC) and I'm not too happy about it.

B. Run far away and as fast as you can from Phoenix. I spent about 8000$ on absolutely nothing. They're insanely expensive. Nobody respects their degrees, and virtually nothing will transfer to a real school. Waste of time and money.
    +1000 on this

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula

Your last two sentences are misguided and wrong.

You will get what you put into a degree from uop.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

cableguy

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I may get what I put in personally; but that doesn't negate the fact their degrees are not repected for the most part. Not saying some companies don't/won't; but majority rules when I'm spending that kind of money on an education for future career advancement.

carlosd321

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Walker
    Well I would say youre on the right track by asking around. I would also say you should look at what credidation the school holds. Are you looking for online and campus requirements or strictly online? I prefer the flexibility of having everything online but it can be harder. Some guys I work with are using Upper Iowa. Go with the school that works for you. I heard bad things sbout pheonix so I did not choose them

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    I may get what I put in personally; but that doesn't negate the fact their degrees are not repected for the most part. Not saying some companies don't/won't; but majority rules when I'm spending that kind of money on an education for future career advancement.

I will say, if you are young and fresh out of high school, uop is not for you.

If you are in the workforce and are trying to finish your degree uop is perfect.

Uop owns a consulting firm that sets up traditional universities online programs. (Ex. Harvards online program was modeled after uop)

If a company is hiring based where a prospect attained their degree, I would think twice about working for them. This tells me there is not room for someone to make a decision and is bound by corporate red tape.

Personally, I wouldnt want to work for someone that wouldnt allow me to do the job they hired me to do.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    I teach at Tulane and here's my take.
    You only get out (in terms of intellectual capital) what you put in regardless of the program.
    Personal effort and the desire to learn is the key to a good education.
    But accreditation and reputation is the key to other people/entities respecting the degree you present to them.
    (Networking in the right circles is important as well.)

Really don't know much about University of Phoenix but haven't heard much good from what little I know, that could be due to UoP being known as a primarily online/distance education program.
    Then again, my career is in different fields than those taught by their curriculum; their degree would have done me no good where I am at now.
    But honestly, I can't knock distance programs- they fit a niche in academia that needs filling.

Before embarking upon any educational endeavor it really pays to know what the desired end result is and whether the institution you choose will allow you to achieve your goal.
    Basically, know how deep the puddle is before you step into it.
    UoP has been around for some time now and they likely wouldn't have made it if all of their programs were substandard.
    Higher education is not cheap so try to get your money's worth regardless of the program.
    Just do a bit of background research to see if a program fits your needs and can deliver what you see as an end goal.

Hope that helps.

benorth

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA

Only federal TA was suspended, I am able to still use my state tuition, and because UOP has a campus here in Baton Rouge I would be able to use it.

benorth

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I guess I should have given a little more backstory. I have about 30 hours from LSU when I enlisted and haven't went back since. My unit is set to deploy some time this year and was looking for a program that I could do some now, possibly some in theatre (time and will permitting). I am going to also look into LSU's online programs as well as BRCC's, the only reason I hadn't already is because I was under the impression that LSU, etc. requires you to take some tests on campus.

Thank you everyone for your help and recommendations if I have any more questions ill be sure to ask!

carlosd321

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Walker
    I do not know about other schools but Troy is very military friendly and if you are deployed they will allow an officer or warrant officer proctor tests for you in most cases. The issue for you would be how often you can get online to meet your assignment requirements. At home I take my proctored exams with proctor U which allows you to use a web cam at home. You can ask if the schools you are looking at offer these options as well. Good luck and stay safe.

I guess I should have given a little more backstory. I have about 30 hours from LSU when I enlisted and haven't went back since. My unit is set to deploy some time this year and was looking for a program that I could do some now, possibly some in theatre (time and will permitting). I am going to also look into LSU's online programs as well as BRCC's, the only reason I hadn't already is because I was under the impression that LSU, etc. requires you to take some tests on campus.

Thank you everyone for your help and recommendations if I have any more questions ill be sure to ask!

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Don't give up on LSU- they can make arrangements for you to use distance education while you are deployed in many cases. I had a grad student who deployed a few years back and they were able to keep on track with my syllabus and finish the course from in theater locations. Here's what LSU says:

Out-of-State Students
    If you do not live in Louisiana, you must take exams at the testing center of an accredited community college/college/university or with a college administrator or a UCEA Independent & Distance Learning department. For full information about exam proctors, click here. If you live overseas, you should contact a local university or American embassy. If you are in the military, you should make arrangements with the education officer at your military base or at an accredited college testing location.
    And here's a link to the full spiel. (Look at military accommodations under distance learning and testing.)
    https://is.lsu.edu/uipolicies.asp

Hope this helps.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    In the IT world, a University of Phoenix is worth it's weight in toilet paper. We typically do not consider it a real degree as the people we've hired with said degree were pretty useless.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Some "schools" exist only to sell student loans which do not discharge in bankruptcy (usually). Most employers who require a college degree know which schools are legit and ignore applicants with these other degrees. If credits don't transfer there is probably a reason why that is. I'd watch an episode of Maury or Springer and make note of who advertises to that demographic. They're selling the dream of a "college education" to folks that don't understand the difference an employer does. Just my opinion though.

Top Bottom