UPDATE - Florida Non Resident IS VALID

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Talk to a CHL instructor. They will tell you the state is full of people who hadn't shot before and won't shoot after that "training".

I was in a refresher class and they had a husband and wife that had only shot in the class 4 yrs. before. I guess they shot every 4 yrs.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I offer a short course for anyone who wants to shoot more than the mandatory 36 rounds. This is a SIMPLIFIED description. Accuracy drills and magazine changes included.
    From 1 yard draw and fire both hands, SH only, OH only, while retreating to the rear and while retreating at an angle as well as side to side. From kneeling position draw and fire both hands, SH only and OH only in an upward arc.
    From 3 yards repeat above and draw and fire SH only and OH only from a chair facing the target and from a chair turned 90 degrees from the target.
    From 5 yards retrieve grounded gun and shoot from the prone position, left side and right side SH only and OH only. Turn body 90 degrees and repeat. Shoot between legs while lying on your back.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I was in a refresher class and they had a husband and wife that had only shot in the class 4 yrs. before. I guess they shot every 4 yrs.

This is very common.

As is seeing students who have never touched a handgun prior to taking a CCW class. Most are uncomfortable, but learn enough in class to be able to pass the LSP shooting "test." Despite my repeated urging that they seek out a defensive handgun class and practice regularly, I am under no illusion that more than 5% will pick up a handgun prior to their renewal class (4 years down the road).

An example -- a man called to inquire about my class. After describing the class to him I asked what handgun he planned to bring (since I don't allow calibers smaller than .38 SPL // 9mm, and don't allow the $75 "Saturday night specials.") >>>>>

He told me he had a 9mm Beretta Model 92. He added that he "bought it 10 years ago, but had never fired it --- he just loaded it and stuck it in the night stand."

The cross section of students that I see (mostly upper middle class caucasions) shoot so poorly, and have such poor muzzle discipline, that I always urge every class, if they refuse to seek out a defensive handgun course and refuse to practice regularly, to not carry concealed. I suggest that they instead leave the weapon at home -- for the safety of the public (i.e.me and my family) and for their financial well being (to avoid the criminal and civil suits that is would arise out of a negligent homicide).

But that's just me.

Last edited:

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    As is seeing students who have never touched a handgun prior to taking a CCW class. Most are uncomfortable, but learn enough in class to be able to pass the LSP shooting "test."
    While doing mobile patrols at work the past couple of nights I've heard commercials on WJBO 1150 AM from Percision. The radio ad has 2 women talking at a range. One tells the other that she has taken the CHP class at Percision. The second woman asks the first if she has bought a pistol yet. The first woman says that she hasn't bought a gun yet but at Percision she can try different guns.
    I thought it was interesting that the ad had someone who didn't own a gun who had taken the CHP class. At least she was at the range getting some trigger time.
    (since I don't allow calibers smaller than .38 SPL // 9mm,
    That's silly. I think it's important to use the gun you intend to Conceal Carry. My Bersa Thunder .380 pistol is a easy to conceal pistol and should not be excluded from anyone's class. Nor should a firearm such as a .32 pocket pistol be excluded.

When the Baton Rouge Serial Killer was running around people that never held a gun were getting permits.

I was at Bass Pro the day they had there first CHP class for the employees. They had workers loaning each other guns because they didn't own one.
    The first time I renewed there was a woman in my class who didn't own a gun, had never fired a gun, and admitted to having a slight fear of guns but thought the CHP class would be a good way to learn about guns. She had to borrow a gun from the instructor to qualify. I doubt that she would be at the range very often after the class.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    1. While doing mobile patrols at work ...........

2. That's silly I think it's important to use the gun you intend to Conceal Carry. My Bersa Thunder .380 pistol is a easy to conceal pistol and should not be excluded from anyone's class. Nor should a firearm such as a .32 pocket pistol be excluded.

1. Is it fair to presume that we're talking mall security here ??

2. If you think it's silly for me to exclude sub-service caliber weapons, you'll probably find it hilarious that I also exclude open-carry evangelists, gansta-thugs and anyone known to me to be a user of illegal drugs..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom