*Updated* New Work Bench=F̶a̶t̶h̶e̶r̶/̶S̶o̶n̶ ̶T̶i̶m̶e̶ Gonna make kydex underpants!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    My Dad gave me a call and told me about some plans he found that we could use for the new workbench I am going to use for a dedicated kydex work station. He drove on down to the house and showed me the plans. The key component was the steel braces, called "Simpson Ties." I had never heard of them until yesterday. These things are pretty beefy! Each corner brace used 22 screws for the 2x4's and 4x4 legs. The ties are a bit pricey at $6.40 a pop, but the bench is now built like a tank. :D Total cost was right under $150 including all hardware and materials.

We used: (8) Simpson Ties, (6) 2x4's, (2) 4x4's, and nearly 230 screws :eek3:

We added more bracing in the middle, to fasten the plywood down.

15020263764_284b591f37_c.jpg

15638329461_f38ca42aa9_c.jpg

Now I just need to add some pegboard to the wall and get a light to hang above it. Then I can start adding all the doodads and such to crank out some new holsters and sheaths!

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Let's see it with your Kydex stuff set up.

Exactly! I think people "get" what you are saying about it as a "project." You and you dad spent some quality time together working on it. All good.

Look! Some of the people on here need extra motivation just to care about stuff like this, much less reply about it. :mamoru:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    :rofl:

It's a workbench!?!

You should have claimed that it is a "magical" table that spits out cheap .22LR ammo. ;)

I've been here long enough that I should have seen that one coming :exnbp:

Let's see it with your Kydex stuff set up.

I'll have it in a few weeks. Some of the older posters, here, may remember the kydex work I used to do. Whether it was good or bad at the time. I think that I'll be able to make a better end product with the space and extra "funding" that I have now.

This is a perfect taco press. This may be the first press I build:
    mZlVcfD.jpg

When I first started with Kydex, materials and tools were few and far between. Now you can find just about anything, including Kryptek Kydex. :eek3:

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Looks like a nice sturdy bench. Post some pics once you add the pegboard and lighting. Looks like you split the plywood in half. If that's right, rough dimensions of 8' x 2' ?
    One of these days I'll have a clean garage that I could put a bench like this in.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    New Work Bench = F̶a̶t̶h̶e̶r̶/̶S̶o̶n̶ ̶T̶i̶m̶e̶ Gonna make kydex underpants!
    Started by DAVE_M, Today 06:56 AM

:D

Very good, Sir!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Looks like a nice sturdy bench. Post some pics once you add the pegboard and lighting. Looks like you split the plywood in half. If that's right, rough dimensions of 8' x 2' ?
    One of these days I'll have a clean garage that I could put a bench like this in.

Yep, approximately 8'-0"x2'-0". We had Lowe's rip it on the big saw they have. It's cut 24" wide on the top and the bottom came out 1/8" shorter because of the blade thickness. So it's 1/8" short on the bottom wall side.

Do you have a method to weld or securely attach that material to another plastic type object?

There are a few "glues" that can be used, but a cheap and dirty way is red 3m tape :D

New Work Bench = F̶a̶t̶h̶e̶r̶/̶S̶o̶n̶ ̶T̶i̶m̶e̶ Gonna make kydex underpants!
    Started by DAVE_M, Today 06:56 AM

:D

Very good, Sir!

Although I enjoy spending quality time with my father, kydex underoos seems appropriate for Bayoushooter :rofl:

I went ahead and ordered a few feet of Maxx Form foam and a few sheets of kydex for testing. Says it will be here in two days, but we'll see about that...

Last edited:

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    That is a a very nice work bench. The fact that you and your dad built is even more special. My dad and I built a lot of things together and I still look around and enjoy the memories.
    My son, son in law, and I now do the same.

Be sure to thank him and tell him how much you love him.

MTx11B

Combat Vet
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    NOLA
    Looks like time well spent now if only the plans were shared on a forum of some sort for all to know...

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    looks like a nice bench... I wish i could clean out my garage a little more to organize it. I have a cabinet that was left there from the previous owner, that I would like to replace with a metal one.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Looks like time well spent now if only the plans were shared on a forum of some sort for all to know...

http://diydoneright.com/projects/garage-organization/heavy-duty-work-table/

I modified my design by using RTC-42 strong ties, 4x4 posts, and 3/4" smooth sided plywood. Finished height is 40", because I'm 6'-4" tall and have back problems. Drywall screws were used for the plywood and generic lath screws for the Strong-Ties. Simpson sells their own lath screws, but they are not cheap.

Click the attachment for the dimensions, that I used.

Capture.JPG

My package of MAXX foam and flaring dies came in. I'll be ordering more doodads and going pick up an arbor press from harbor freight, this weekend.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    *Update*

Picked up an Arbor Press last night and set it up today. Stupid me stripped the set screw on the arm, I may end up drilling it out and putting a permanent pin in the collar.

15968905971_64078ae7ab_z.jpg

Then I decided to modify one of my Little Folsom sheath. It was wayyy too bulky. Using the dremel, I realized I desperately need a benchtop belt sander.

Before and After:
    15970875095_37d81c44bb_z.jpg
    15970860395_e3ce762ac0_z.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Fanblade1
    Top Bottom