Updates and Improvements Part 3

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

We are now on round three of me collecting input from you and your fellow members. After the last thread turned very sharply in one direction, I have decided to start a new one and start afresh. In this thread I would like more suggestions and discussion of suggestions on ways to improve BayouShooter and tailor it towards what you, the members, want. The issue of comments in the classifieds has been discussed and I, along with our wonderful team of moderators and site staff, am working on a fix that all of you will like. I will not release any details yet, but stay tuned.

As I mentioned above, this thread is for new ideas and the discussion of these new ideas. As such, any mention of comments in the marketplace will be dealt with swiftly (as in, DO NOT POST THEM). We are very open to everyones' input and I look forward to reading the interesting new ideas that you all will surely come up with.

Best Regards,

Austin

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I would like to see some of the "old threads of interest and stickies" be put back as stickies into their prospective forums. A lot of those threads were to help out new members/shooter who are looking for the information. For instance, the "What to bring" thread doesn't even show up when one does a search for "pistol competition". The scope optics thread was a great tool for new rifle shooters just being introduced to scopes and now it's buried in the optics section.

I'd also like to see the pictures threads be given their own area either in a photography or a show-off section.

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm pretty easy to please. I have not found anything that needs to be changed. I read most of the new threads daily in most of the categories. I don't have much to say and only post occasionally. Usually by the time I see a post, everything has been covered or I don't know any more than what has been already said.
    Thanks for the opportunity for feedback.

gunslinger06

Never go to BR/NO
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    Leesville,LA
    View of classifieds by geographic region.
    Lots of people I talk to in my area don't use BS because most items are in NO/BR. Many people don't like dealing with shipping or traveling long distances to make a deal. If there were a section for each region, folks could see what was for sale around them. Another benefit is sponsorship. A potential sponsor in Shreveport is not likely to spend advertising dollars on a site when most of its members are down south.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I would really like to see the firearm classified broken into

Rifles
    Shotguns
    Pistols
    Rim fire (pistol and rifle rim fires only) these could just go to the regular rifle and pistol forums but can be useful separately as well

This would be extremely helpful to all. Buyers and sellers. Some ads wouldn't be pushed to the back so fast and it would be easier to target what you are looking for without having to sort through more ads that don't mean much to you at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

oscar615

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    SE LA
    Lots of people I talk to in my area don't use BS because most items are in NO/BR. Many people don't like dealing with shipping or traveling long distances to make a deal. If there were a section for each region, folks could see what was for sale around them. Another benefit is sponsorship. A potential sponsor in Shreveport is not likely to spend advertising dollars on a site when most of its members are down south.

Yes this would be great. I have pm'd a few times only to find out that the firearm is on the opposite side of the world to me.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    When you add someone to your ignore list, make it so they cannot post in threads you create.

I disagree with this one. The ignore function should stop messages from appearing to you, not allow you to be selective of who posts in your threads.

I would like to see some of the "old threads of interest and stickies" be put back as stickies into their prospective forums. A lot of those threads were to help out new members/shooter who are looking for the information. For instance, the "What to bring" thread doesn't even show up when one does a search for "pistol competition". The scope optics thread was a great tool for new rifle shooters just being introduced to scopes and now it's buried in the optics section.

I'd also like to see the pictures threads be given their own area either in a photography or a show-off section.

I just made some changes on that first part, let me know what you think.

I don't know if dividing it into so many sections would be a good idea, I don't know if we have enough traffic to support that. Do you think a better option would be to do a drop down, like the wtb/wts/wtt options?

I would really like to see the firearm classified broken into

Rifles
    Shotguns
    Pistols
    Rim fire (pistol and rifle rim fires only) these could just go to the regular rifle and pistol forums but can be useful separately as well

This would be extremely helpful to all. Buyers and sellers. Some ads wouldn't be pushed to the back so fast and it would be easier to target what you are looking for without having to sort through more ads that don't mean much to you at this time.

We are looking at doing this, but for the reason listed above, a smaller divide of handguns and long guns. We will probably do things like we did with the bearpit, move it to a hidden area, but move the first month's worth of posts to their respective areas. It is going to be REALLY time consuming.

Yes this would be great. I have pm'd a few times only to find out that the firearm is on the opposite side of the world to me.

Look at the location below the users name, if they don't have that filled out report the post, as it is a requirement for ads.

Last edited:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I disagree with this one. The ignore function should stop messages from appearing to you, not allow you to be selective of who posts in your threads.

I don't know if dividing it into so many sections would be a good idea, I don't know if we have enough traffic to support that. Do you think a better option would be to do a drop down, like the wtb/wts/wtt options?

Look at the location below the users name, if they don't have that filled out report the post, as it is a requirement for ads.

1.) I agree. Shouldn't select who can comment in your threads. That is no good.

2.) That would be nice, like the sportsman has a region select box when placing an ad. I would make it a requirement before you could select the post button.

3.) maybe make it a requirement to lost the location in the ad itself other than the profile. Like a box to fill in with the location or it can't be posted.

whitesquirrel44

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Lafayette Area
    I like having all the firearms in the classifieds in one forum but would like to see a 'filter by' list for both location and category of firearm. The location could be determined by so many mile from your location or simply 5 or 6 general area of the state. If I'm looking for something rare, I'd drive across the state to get it but if I'm looking for a 22 I just want something local. Firearms could be categorized when listed (i.e. rifles, pistols, shotguns, rimfire) as suggested but I would also add 'cowboy' for cowboy action shooters and maybe 'tactical/military rifles' such as AR's and AK's. Again just a way to filter the list not have different forums.

If nothing changes, this is still a great forum. Thanks

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    1.) I agree. Shouldn't select who can comment in your threads. That is no good.

2.) That would be nice, like the sportsman has a region select box when placing an ad. I would make it a requirement before you could select the post button.

3.) maybe make it a requirement to lost the location in the ad itself other than the profile. Like a box to fill in with the location or it can't be posted.

We can see I it is a possible change or not. I don't think requiring a location in the add via a box would work, I think the drop down is the only real possibility, just due to programming.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA

That's what I was thinking- establish a few regions, and set up a drop down. I don't think it should be required, as that could limit someone's exposure and they might be willing to drive to wherever, or ship.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I like having all the firearms in the classifieds in one forum but would like to see a 'filter by' list for both location and category of firearm. The location could be determined by so many mile from your location or simply 5 or 6 general area of the state. If I'm looking for something rear, I'd drive across the state to get it but if I'm looking for a 22 I just want something local. Firearms could be categorized when listed (i.e. rifles, pistols, shotguns, rimfire) as suggested but I would also add 'cowboy' for cowboy action shooters and maybe 'tactical/military rifles' such as AR's and AK's. Again just a way to filter the list not have different forums.

If nothing changes, this is still a great forum. Thanks

If it was done via a drop down, it may be searchable via the drop down selected in the advanced search tab. Again, this is all speculation on what is possible, but is worth looking into.

- - - Updated - - -

That's what I was thinking- establish a few regions, and set up a drop down. I don't think it should be required, as that could limit someone's exposure and they might be willing to drive to wherever, or ship.

Yeah, SE, SW, central, north, out of state.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I'm thinking include the major metro areas, too, since "SE" is arbitrary, but everybody knows where New Orleans is.

You think it would be better to list a dozen or so towns, then have people pick the closest? My only issue with having New Orleans, BR, Lake Charles, Shreveport, Monroe, etc is that places like grand isle and mt hermon would fall under the same category, but are 4 hours apart.

gunslinger06

Never go to BR/NO
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    Leesville,LA

You could ad a "state wide" region for those willing to travel. I wouldn't be too concerned about splitting since the vast majority of ads will be in the southeast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    Again, is there any way that the menu tree located at the top of the page could be added to the bottom of the page?

forumtop_zpsc128b1f2.jpg

forumbottom_zps45fc318e.jpg

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Again, is there any way that the menu tree located at the top of the page could be added to the bottom of the page?

forumtop_zpsc128b1f2.jpg

forumbottom_zps45fc318e.jpg

Yeah, I could probably do that. I will work on it next weekend when I get back from my trip :)

Top Bottom