Urban Warfare Training by SOCOM in New Orleans

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    http://www.wwltv.com/topstories/stories/wwl020409cbbombs.1da02ce4.html?npc

http://www.wwltv.com/video/news-index.html?nvid=328896&shu=1

Bombs, choppers during military exercises startles residents

10:19 PM CST on Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Katie Moore / Eyewitness News

NEW ORLEANS – Residents in and around New Orleans have been hearing the sounds of low-flying helicopters and what sounds like bomb blasts over the past few nights, but the sounds are part of a training exercise for some of America's elite military troops.

At one Lakefront home, Gigi Burk normally hears her son, 6-year-old Beau, practicing the piano, but last night she heard something much different at around 10 p.m.

“I said, oh my God! They're bombs. That's what I thought it was, somebody dropping bombs,” Burk said.

Burk said she panicked, not knowing why she was hearing what sounded like explosions and low-flying helicopters.

“We're a little skittish around here with things that have happened,” Burk said.

But according to military officials, it’s a training exercise that brought about 150 U.S. troops from the U.S. Special Operations Command to train in New Orleans for urban warfare.

“They are regularly engaged in combat operations,” said U.S. Special Operations Command staffer Kimberly Tiscione. “They are the best of the best we have to offer across all the branches of the military.”

Black Hawk and "Little Bird" helicopters are transporting troops to several locations around New Orleans, according to Tiscione.

“They're going to be flying near buildings, doing approaches on them,” Tiscione said. “You might see them landing on the roof tops or landing on the ground near them as well.”

“I heard a bunch of explosions starting at about 10 p.m. They were about ten seconds apart, and then they'd stop, and we thought it was over, but then they started again,” said Burk.

Tiscione said that the ground troops were performing “breeches at several different locations.

“So, they're moving through doorways or walls or that sort of thing. They're also doing weapons proficiency,” Tiscione said.

The forces are using simulated ammunitions, almost like paintball pellets, to conduct the training. And even though the noise may affect your neighborhood, the night-time training is only supposed to last from sundown to 11 p.m., according to Tiscione.

“They are the best of the best because they get these kind of training events,” she said.

Burk said she wishes the training had been better publicized before-hand to avoid a scare Tuesday night.

"People were talking about it everywhere today," Burk said.

The NOPD did put a press release out about the training, and WWL-TV aired a story about it; however, that was a week ago.

Since U.S. Special Operations Command hasn't done a similar training here since 2000, it has caught many people by surprise.

The training will go on every night through the end of this week.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    They were flying Little Birds down Loyola St. past my building around 6:00 pm. I am on the 11th floor and they were at least 4 floors below me. It is wierd seeing a blacked out helo flying beneath your window.

SimonJester308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Perfect cover for gun grabs. "urban warfare training" nice. Yeah, its a stretch, so save the flames. But its something to think about.

Asc.rudeboy

Walmitfahrer tactical#103
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    that be cool to have a ring side seat and watch....

when i first started on the river we would see a seal boat,,zodiac kinda looking thing with m60 front mount,scream buy,,i was told they practice certain exercises in the river,,incase something happend at the docs or plants,,always fun to see them

WHEELER

Don't Tread on Me
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    I am near the belle chase station, and they have been flying over constantly for the past week.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Where do you propose they practice? Its kinda hard to practice against real enemies, they wont learn anything if they die.

dangermoney

C'est Chaud Peur Lot
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Gonzales, LA
    Well, then , you'll be REALLY upset to know that they are using live ammo on these exercises. They have some really trick bullet traps, placed in unused buildings, that allow this.

Chill out, bud. While the government has proven that it won't hesitate to use the military against we peons if conditions are "right", it won't be these guys who come.

Yes, there were a couple of Delta advisors at Waco. The FBI has been in bed with Delta and the Seals since the 80s. But these operators are too highly skilled to waste on some upstart citizens.

They'll use regular Big Army units for that; some of which are already training for the mission. In urban areas.

THOSE are the ones you/we should worry about.

I agree. Maybe they'll even throw a few Canadian units into the mix.

LongRange

Weatherby...no Substitute
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    Funny thing is we have a war going on right now... want training?, send their ass over and let them run around and duck real bullets, thats damn good training. The article kept saying "they are the best of the best" ... well if the best of the best are here instead of in Iraq backing up our guys, then i think thats crap.

Enal

FIDO
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    They used to do the same ops at the Chenault Air Base in Lake Charles. I grew up right near there and it was always really cool to watch.

Enal

FIDO
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Funny thing is we have a war going on right now... want training?, send their ass over and let them run around and duck real bullets, thats damn good training. The article kept saying "they are the best of the best" ... well if the best of the best are here instead of in Iraq backing up our guys, then i think thats crap.

Why? It doesn't match the training they are doing.

Sand & Rocks and Urban Environment are two very different things.

Lewgee

USMC VET OIF * *
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    St Charles
    LSP972 has it nailed. Its more about logistics than trigger time, most of the time. Enroute to a hit, new intel comes in, change of plan, no air, all vehicle, 3 blocking positions instead of four, no lights on target house..etc......good times!! I've done plenty of TRaining Urban Envrionment eXercises

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    How can you expect them to perform well on their rotations in combat if they aren't allowed to train when they are home?

Some people go to work and try everyday to do the best job they can and get better at their job.

When these guys make a mistake someone gets killed. Many of them never see the glory they deserve and get the rewards other soldiers do. I can not claim that I have ever been one of these highly trained soldiers but did meet them both stateside and on deployments and can tell you it takes a special type of person to do this job.

If we every have a terrorist situation stateside know well that the training they do in our urban city environments will pay off.

LongRange

Weatherby...no Substitute
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    LSP im well aware of what Manuvers are, you missed my point, it was stated that these guys are "the best of the best" if that is the case then they arent in need of non volitile training. Fact is the "best of the best" are The US Secret Service Special Operations teams that you have never seen, they shadowed the SF guys in Falusia 2002, and supported Bosinian forces in Sarajevo in 1994-95, Somalia rebels faced them in 1992, and a few other specs that you more than likely never knew was even a conflict, thats what they do, they are used to try and stop things before they are started, much of the time to no luck mind you, but they are sent all the same, now you have never seen them nor ever read about them in your local paper, however they are quite easy to identify by the pair of eyes on their back, currently every active TSA has been injured during his service at least once.

I wasnt saying send the green SF guys to iraq, i was saying stop calling someone the "best" when they are far from it. as for the statements about me personally, i wont comment as it would not serve a purpose here, im just an overweight , outta shape hunter, dont claim to be anything more.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom