uspsa crew - Been drawing some stages. opinions?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Nick, some of your stages have steel directly in front of or adjacent to paper targets. This should be avoided because of scoring complications that can develop from splatter or shots glancing off the steel. Issues like that can slow down scoring and result in reshoots, which slows down the match.

And if you enjoy stage design, check chapters 1 and 2 in the USPSA rulebook carefully to see what is and isn't acceptable in an approved COF and you're well on your way to fame, big bucks and the heartfelt admiration of your shooting peers as a successful stage designer. :D

The ultimate challenge of COF design to get a stage that is truly freestyle (which is the Holy Grail in course design) and still fits snugly within the rules. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the words. I printed off chapters 1 and 2 and started to memorize them. It's a little slow here at work.

So, without further ado, here is a quick Medium course.

Let's call this one "Spray and Pray". I think it speaks for itself...

ofsp2dgai2f4q23kivs8.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

yvfex6jr8lo9rhhvum.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    NAN,
    Lose the boxes and make a shooting area. Let'em shoot from where ever they want. Have start outside the box facing up range. Just a thought.

Beauxdog

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    NAN,

You could also reverse the barrels and have more targets. We did a similar stage at one of the Gator Matches when it was held at EAPS. MacTiger took it to the nationals one year. I'll try to dig it up for ya.

Beauxdog

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    More Barrels?

One thing to be aware of with using barrels in this manner: once again, potential scoring problems can raise their ugly head.

The stage I ran at Area 4 had just a few barrels and I had every bullet hit taped after every competitor. As hard cover, the scoring RO needs to determine whether it was a partial (edge of barrel) hit (shooter gets the hit) or a pass through (shooter gets the mike).

My CRO instructor had cautioned me about the problems barrels can pose: I found out firsthand...at least I was prepared :rofl:

Had one competitor try to argue that the oblong bullet hole in the target meant he got the hit...had to politely point out the unpatched hole in the barrel that proved otherwise. ;)

Barrels make good vision barriers, but they have a downside as well, when you have to separate target hits from pass throughs. No shoots work better than barrels, purely from a scoring perspective, if it works with your stage design.

You always have to consider potential stage management issues in your COF. If you lose just 30 seconds per shooter due to stage issues due to resets or scoring problems (not even considering problems that could result in reshoots due to tricky activators), you could add a half hour to a local match, or an hour and a half to a match like the Gator Classic or Area 4 :eek:

Just something to keep in mind.

:thumbsup:

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    One thing to be aware of with using barrels in this manner: once again, potential scoring problems can raise their ugly head.
    Just something to keep in mind.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the advise, I also see what you were saying about the poppers in front of the no-shoots.

With that in mind, I present...

"Zombieland"

Engage targets as they appear. Also, when you open the door to the plate rack, it activates the no shoot swinging target!!! So, on top of you trying to hit plates, you have a swinging "no shoot" to deal with also! :eek3:

tdftcjmqs4ja67jgrq.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

5jlbvhmu4b7nggp0w0qp.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

cripple

Quad CCW
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2008
    N. of I10
    The only comment I have on any of these designs is they need more depth. The designs are good I think they just need to be spread out more like a field course. We get enough standing and shooting with the classifiers..:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom