USSS shoots at car burglars.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    There's a lot to unpack here...but, the TLDR facts are that in Louisiana you cannot shoot someone for breaking into an empty car, shed, four-wheeler, or whatever that you have sitting on your property outside of your house.
    ...Without reasonable fear of great bodily harm or death.

If someone's breaking into a car that I know has a gun in it I'm probably going to stop them by any means necessary, so they cant hurt me or anyone with it.

I'm speculating here, but I wouldn't be surprised if a USSS vehicle had at least a couple of guns in it.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

If someone's breaking into a car that I know has a gun in it I'm probably going to stop them by any means necessary, so they cant hurt me or anyone with it.

I'm speculating here, but I wouldn't be surprised if a USSS vehicle had at least a couple of guns in it.

That better not be how you word your statement are you will go to prison.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

I think that is a very, very poor argument.

A vehicle is not a safe. A parked, unoccupied vehicle should not contain firearms.

If someone is breaking into your vehicle while you're at home, you are going to have a very hard time justifying that you knowingly went outside to confront them vs going back inside and locking the door + calling 911.

An excuse of "oops, I left a gun in the car" that I didn't want the person to get, so I shot him, is going to be an uphill battle. Maybe if the firearm was (negligently) left in plain view in the car and you had a reasonable belief that the thief was going towards the firearm with the intent to harm you, but that's a very strong maybe.

Also, just to be clear: A vehicle is not a safe. Don't leave firearms in cars. Ever. At all. Period.

Yesterday someone posted in the r/CCW page that their vehicle was broken into and someone broke into the console safe that they have and stole their gun. My thought was, "no ****, thieves know people have console safes now and they're not very difficult to break into."

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I think that is a very, very poor argument.

A vehicle is not a safe. A parked, unoccupied vehicle should not contain firearms.

If someone is breaking into your vehicle while you're at home, you are going to have a very hard time justifying that you knowingly went outside to confront them vs going back inside and locking the door + calling 911.

An excuse of "oops, I left a gun in the car" that I didn't want the person to get, so I shot him, is going to be an uphill battle. Maybe if the firearm was (negligently) left in plain view in the car and you had a reasonable belief that the thief was going towards the firearm with the intent to harm you, but that's a very strong maybe.

Also, just to be clear: A vehicle is not a safe. Don't leave firearms in cars. Ever. At all. Period.

Yesterday someone posted in the r/CCW page that their vehicle was broken into and someone broke into the console safe that they have and stole their gun. My thought was, "no ****, thieves know people have console safes now and they're not very difficult to break into."
    What I was getting at with the ss car.. but I guess there’s a clause that if stupid government officials store guns in there car they can use deadly force for a car breakin… that law doesn’t apply to us as normal citizens lol

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    What I was getting at with the ss car.. but I guess there’s a clause that if stupid government officials store guns in there car they can use deadly force for a car breakin… that law doesn’t apply to us as normal citizens lol
    Eh, I'm going to speculate based on the facts that have been presented thus far that it was probably not an acceptable use of force.

Had one of the bad guys (or anyone else) been hit with a bullet, it's possible that the story would be a little different.

My guess is that the USSS guys will probably get a scolding for their discharge of firearms, but who knows

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

Police have guns in their cars all the time, that’s why you don’t see them walking around all day with a rifle or shotgun. Police also have a duty to stop a crime that they are witness to, civilians do not. In any instance, you still have to be able to articulate why you shot someone.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Eh, I'm going to speculate based on the facts that have been presented thus far that it was probably not an acceptable use of force.

Had one of the bad guys (or anyone else) been hit with a bullet, it's possible that the story would be a little different.

My guess is that the USSS guys will probably get a scolding for their discharge of firearms, but who knows
    All of that being said, it's quite likely that there is more to the story that just wasn't released. Breaking into a USSS vehicle is stupid. If one of the guys reached into a waistband, bag, or presented something that appeared to be a firearm, the entire situation changes and the USSS can absolutely light them up (as they should).

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Police have guns in their cars all the time, that’s why you don’t see them walking around all day with a rifle or shotgun. Police also have a duty to stop a crime that they are witness to, civilians do not. In any instance, you still have to be able to articulate why you shot someone.
    But do you leave your rifle/shotgun in your car overnight...? LOL

T-boy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    st. amant
    If I had to guess Joe Biden’s granddaughter was probably peddling dope for her daddy and they came by for a pick up and she forgot to tell her detail lol was supposed to be a drop and grab deal, but it looked like they were stealing her dope, so they had to protect it
    HA!

But that does make me wonder if the stripper's daughter in Arkansas has a security detail as well?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    But then you are using your firearm because they are shooting at you....not because they are breaking into your car or trying to steal your stuff...

giphy.gif

snake doctor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    NOLA
    Bush's daughters had Secret Service protection as adults. Bush signed a directive before he left office to extend their protection beyond the normal period. I have seen Jenna Bush Hager on Tulane's campus twice, and she definitely had security guards but I don't know if they were federal or private.

IlivnDaBoot!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2022
    SHREVEPORT
    This LITERALLY happened to a guy in Tennessee. The sheriff department arrested a guy for shooting at 3 perpetrators breaking into his van that was parked in his driveway. They fired on the home owner first and he returned fire. He was arrested because he told law enforcement that as he retreated into his home, he closed his eyes as he fired back at the perpetrators. He was then arrested for reckless endangerment for closing his eyes as he fired. True story

Top Bottom