VATA Group, (Covington)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    That is the reasson why if VATA gets their .... together they could be "the new standard" in the area, good competition can bring a crappy business from dirt to be succesfull one just by performing a study on what the other guys are doing or they can also drive you to the ground and never being able to recover. I believe the aproach that VATA is taking in our area is fantastic, they are somehow little by little closing a big gap of NEED in Louisiana, eventhough a lot of the BS member who are well known for their skills and who they know have been kind enough to setup some great training seminars in the past, before VATA showed up we really didnt have a training ACADEMY who would tackle the civilian market. Lets face it there are a lot of training seminars for LEO during the year and its up to each agency to decide to send people to get trained but when it comes to the civilian market 95% of them are out of state and out of reach $$$$, VATA studied a market that was there for anybody to take and hopefully with the right business aproach will be able to corner the market in Louisiana, by providing not only firearms instruction but also a range for "members" they make sure to keep everybody happy and looking forward to always get more out of it, which turns out at the end in revenue to their business, they are not going for a $500 course fee like a lot of the "other" courses available on the market I understand they are not "known" but I do believe that their skills are up there to be able to compete but yet they decided a more economical aproach for a local instruction course with is an outstanding business idea. Just like any other business they require takers to be able to stay afloat, keep in mind if we dont show some kind of support places like this wont be available for us YET again which would put us back to being screwed for training in the civilian market in Louisiana.

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    I deleted my post, and yes they definitely have a market. I do plan on going to one of their classes when my play fund recoups.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    That is the reasson why if VATA gets their .... together they could be "the new standard" in the area, good competition can bring a crappy business from dirt to be succesfull one just by performing a study on what the other guys are doing or they can also drive you to the ground and never being able to recover. I believe the aproach that VATA is taking in our area is fantastic, they are somehow little by little closing a big gap of NEED in Louisiana, eventhough a lot of the BS member who are well known for their skills and who they know have been kind enough to setup some great training seminars in the past, before VATA showed up we really didnt have a training ACADEMY who would tackle the civilian market. Lets face it there are a lot of training seminars for LEO during the year and its up to each agency to decide to send people to get trained but when it comes to the civilian market 95% of them are out of state and out of reach $$$$, VATA studied a market that was there for anybody to take and hopefully with the right business aproach will be able to corner the market in Louisiana, by providing not only firearms instruction but also a range for "members" they make sure to keep everybody happy and looking forward to always get more out of it, which turns out at the end in revenue to their business, they are not going for a $500 course fee like a lot of the "other" courses available on the market I understand they are not "known" but I do believe that their skills are up there to be able to compete but yet they decided a more economical aproach for a local instruction course with is an outstanding business idea. Just like any other business they require takers to be able to stay afloat, keep in mind if we dont show some kind of support places like this wont be available for us YET again which would put us back to being screwed for training in the civilian market in Louisiana.

While I agree with the gist of your post and plan to train with them when able, you might want to check your math and logic.

They are charging 200.00 for a ONE DAY course.

Most 500.00 courses you mentioned are for 3 DAYS, so.......they are actually higher.

You are hardly screwed for training in this area thanks to people like Gomez, Pangris, and other local trainers either training themselves or hosting classes.

However, the price is definitely reasonable and within industry standards.

These guys definitely have my support at this point for what they are trying to do in what appears to be a first class manner. Especially if they are planning a public range. We DEFINITELY are screwed for that in Louisiana.

Last edited:

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    I'm thinking of taking the into to handgun and carbine may 1 and 2 if I'm not transfered out of LA by then. $375 is a pretty average/decent price for 2 days of training.

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    , you might want to check your math and logic.

They are charging 200.00 for a ONE DAY course.

Most 500.00 courses you mentioned are for 3 DAYS, so.......they are actually higher.

You are hardly screwed for training in this area thanks to people like Gomez, Pangris, and other local trainers either training themselves or hosting classes.

However, the price is definitely reasonable and within industry standards.

While I would have to agree with you for the most part my math is actually very good, what I believe you FAIL to understand is that the average american worker is tied up to 40 Hrs a week which gives him in average about $3,000.00 a month which after paying taxes, insurance, mortgage, vehicles and so on might leave him or her about $300 a month to play with, the average worker does not have the ability to apply for grants to cover the cost on this courses unlike others. The fact that those $600 courses are 3 days its a great price if you can afford it, but for the average worker a $200 course eventhough its only 1 day its easier to the wallet, it will not cover as much material but you also have to do what the economy allows you to afford.

Have a good one!

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    While I would have to agree with you for the most part my math is actually very good, what I believe you FAIL to understand is that the average american worker is tied up to 40 Hrs a week which gives him in average about $3,000.00 a month which after paying taxes, insurance, mortgage, vehicles and so on might leave him or her about $300 a month to play with, the average worker does not have the ability to apply for grants to cover the cost on this courses unlike others. The fact that those $600 courses are 3 days its a great price if you can afford it, but for the average worker a $200 course eventhough its only 1 day its easier to the wallet, it will not cover as much material but you also have to do what the economy allows you to afford.

Have a good one!
    Well said. When you pay out of your own pocket its another thing. I went for a 4 day training class in florida a few months ago and I submitted over 1700 in expenses for the course, but it was work related so my company picked it up. If I worked for a dept that paid for my courses I would take as many as I could.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I understand what guate is saying and agree. There's a whole other segment of people who would be able to train if the classes were one day at a time, week after week and pay as you go vs. block out 3 days and pay a lump sum.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

Have a good one!

You obviously FAIL to understand the difference between price and value, but whatever, still a great explanation of a concept that has nothing to do with what i posted.

Go do your one, two, or fourteen day class, as your income allows. Any quality training is good training, and these guys are looking to be good quality.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I am elated to have these guys in my "back yard".

A 1000yd range!!!
    A range run by guys who understand that you need to run around while training!!!
    A range that will be kept clean but not chew you out if you don't pick up every piece of brass!!!
    A range that incorporates a vehicle track because they know we will likely be in or around vehicles when the gunfight comes!!!
    A range with a shoot house so we don't have to pretend there is a doorway!!!
    This is my dream come true!
    Where do I sign up?
    When can I volunteer?

Can I live there? :-)

dmounts

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Gents.

Greg has already introduced himself on here so now its my turn. I'm sorry that it has taken me this long to get on here but it has been tasking with getting the new facility underway. Greg is across the pond as of now and I will be joining him there shortly. May is a busy month for us so please check out our website vatagroup.net and reserve your slot soon. As Greg stated earlier, thanks to "ALL" for being patient with the new growth we are undergoing, we feel that everyone will be very pleased once we are completed with it. We also have a new 40 foot mobile trailer that we can load up all of our steel and barricades and come to alternate sites if anyone wants to host a course.

Thanks again, hope to see everyone soon!

Semper fi
    Destin Mounts

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Had a meeting with Greg and Destin yesterday. These guys are good to go! They have our support.

FWIW, I concur 100%. The guys are down to earth and solid guys. i look forward to working with them in the near future. Fact is, if 10% of what they envision comes to fruition, then we will be sitting pretty in the South LA region.

As far as I am concerned, what they have to date pretty much beats anything else available.

Turpin Ta

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula/Covington
    JLouque, out of respect for Greg and Destin, I will let them reveal that. I do know that they are very busy right now, between VATA and deployment, so be patient with them. It will pay off in the long run.:bravo:

SwampKat

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Laplace, LA
    No problem, I'm look forward to attending a class there.

My navy "team" buddies were asking me where they were located since we didn't see their location on the web.

Lapdance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Thanks for your support and patience. I know they say patience is a virtue, but it is definitely not one of my stronger points. Destin and I don't want to get everyone too jocked up, because anyone who's ever been in the range business before knows that things can change quickly. Unfortunately for now only those that attend the courses will be be able to see our meager beginnings. We still have openings in the upcoming three courses and we are always willing to put together a private group course. Hopefully, if things continue to go as planned, in the not so distant future we will all be hanging out in a place that Louisiana has never seen before. Thanks

Stay in the fight,
    Greg Lapin

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom