Vehicle tint laws for civilians vs government vehicles

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Most decent hearted cops don't waste their time on tint tickets to begin with... Hint hint.... I've had/have Limo tint on ALL my vehicles for many many years, and haven't once been ticketed for it. I understand that it's used alot as PC to make contact with someone for something more serious, and that's all fine and dandy, but if ya behave and don't be a dumbass... Well .......

No, that is not all fine and dandy. I have not been stopped for any reason in many years either but this does not make it ok. This is not how the founders of this country intended for law enforcement to work in my opinion, we have strayed far off that path. Seatbelt laws are also used in this regard, another ridiculous law.

Many professions have things others aren’t allowed to have or do.

You remind me of a guy I use to work with. He was always complaining that this person had this and that person had that and “why can’t I have that”. We were in a group one day and he started his whining, another coworker told him, “ if I came to work and said I had herpes you would be mad you didn’t have it”. I still get a good laugh out of that, but I probably have a weird sense of humor. Sorry to ramble on. I attached a little info you inquired about.

Thanks for posting the links.

I guess you want fancy lights on top of your car now and a siren too! You know, because another group has them....you can have them if you go play fireman

This is a ridiculous statement.
    I think any reasonable person can agree that something as benign as window tint does not fall under the same category as sirens and emergency strobes.
    I would imagine the main reasoning behind tint laws would be for safety of other motorists. This is where the hypocrisy comes into play because if my tint is a danger to someone else then so is the tint on a government vehicle.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    I have gotten many tickets for window tint. Even had to peel it off on the side of the road. This was 20 years ago. Maybe they do not enforce it anymore. Also I do not see a lot of people with it anymore.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I have gotten many tickets for window tint. Even had to peel it off on the side of the road. This was 20 years ago. Maybe they do not enforce it anymore. Also I do not see a lot of people with it anymore.
    I think the more populated an area gets, the less of a priority it becomes. I see plenty of tinted windows and am seeing more and more tinted windshields.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Gun related: I'm thinking in the track that, and officer comes up on a vehicle with "illegal Limo Tint". Officer runs plates. Vehicle is registered to a known bad guy, let's say a drug dealer. Use the window tint as PC to pull him over and Initiate contact, through conversation, body language etc.... You can gain more reason to access the vehicle to search for drugs and bam, you've got a drug dealer in custody.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    86   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    I’ve also gotten tickets for it and been asked to peel it off once. Years ago I was able to get the medical exemption to have dark tint because I suffer from chronic migraines. But they have since changed the requirements and made it much more difficult to get that exemption. So I don’t even bother anymore. In fact, since I got my new truck a little over a year ago, I haven’t put any tint on the windows at all. Need to change that soon.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    86   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Also I do not see a lot of people with it anymore.
    I still see a ton of people with it, but that’s probably because I’m close to New Orleans. What I don’t understand is how they get a brake tag when they even have their windshield tinted super dark.

TickleChain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2022
    Castle Doctrine
    My 2015 Cadillac has dark factory tint but not on the windshield, and the front-door windows are not as dark as everything behind those front windows.

I don't sweat it.
    My Leather's So Soft!

EDIT:

Build it and They will come.

Last edited:

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    I still see a ton of people with it, but that’s probably because I’m close to New Orleans. What I don’t understand is how they get a brake tag when they even have their windshield tinted super dark.
    Well New Orleans has their own brake tags for one. For the rest of the state you just need to know the right people to get a tag.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

A lot of the state MVI’s are probably fake. It’s very common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Really lol? In NOLA just slip them an extra $20 and anyone can get a break tag on anything. Lights out, no windshield wipers, no blinker all no problem for a little extra money

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I personally don't have a problem with LE being legally allowed to have darker tint than non-LE. Why? Crazies like to go up to cops and shoot them in their vehicles just cause.

There are plenty of valid reasons that a LEO might not want to be seen in their vehicle or be seen looking a certain way.

Aside from that, driving with a dark tint on the front or back of a car is a pain in the butt at night.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dark tint, no brake tag, no emissions controls on truck whatsoever, not even a muffler. 5 yrs, no issue with no brake tag. Been asked about it once during a traffic stop. Told the officer there is no way the truck will pass emissions, so I don't waste my time or money with em. He laughed and sent me on my way.

Attachments

• IMG_20220717_150531793_HDR.jpg
      IMG_20220717_150531793_HDR.jpg
      765 KB · Views: 143

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    Evidentially stealing brake tags is now a thing. A friend just had hers stolen while her car was at the shop.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LazrBeam
    Top Bottom