Vehicle tint laws for civilians vs government vehicles

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I am against some LEO carve outs in legislation, but not because I'm anti Popo.

I think it lends confusion to the public. They see other POV's with dark tinted windows, and think it's alright.

The majority of drivers in Orleans can't read the law.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

I think it lends confusion to the public. They see other POV's with dark tinted windows, and think it's alright.

I mean some things just make sense.

A friend of mine is with the US Secret Service and he routinely carries a pistol on airplanes whenever he travels personally. He also is allowed to bring full sized shampoo and whatever he wants on his carry on. That makes sense given his duties in the USSS. I don't think that because he can carry on planes I should be able to, too.

It also makes sense that LE can have dark tint on their duty vehicles. They also get lights, sirens, and a bunch of other goodies that make sense for their duties. John Doe just doesn't need that.

Plus, darker tint high quality tint really isn't that much better at blocking the southern sun than moderately dark high quality tint.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Evidentially stealing brake tags is now a thing. A friend just had hers stolen while her car was at the shop.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    Wow man that’s honestly not something I would picture someone stealing but I guess in todays world nothing is really shocking. As easy as it is in the NOLA area to get a break tag it’s still kind of surprises me anyone would want to steel one

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    there used to be an exception for window tint if you owned class 3 items.
    there really isnt any easy exception now, except maybe Leo//
    I have it on my 4runner since the glass doesnt have the uv blocker that most american cars have and it helps keep the temps down inside while the dogs are in the ac and I am inside. the 4runner also has a weak ac at idle where most trucks now have a decent one at idle.. I caught a ticket on 49 in washington, which is north of lafayette. they wrote it without even asking reasons.. **** them dudes.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I agree it’s very very easy to get one delivered for $30-40…. Or so I hear lol
    There used to be places in New Orleans (and probably still are) where you could get an inspection sticker/temporary plate combo for $60-70. If you paid attention, you'd see the same temp tag numbers on multiple cars throughout the night.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Do you believe that anything that anyone does in public is fair game for everyone?

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    For everyone suggesting that tint is ok for government vehicles but not ok for the public, giving safety concern for officers, you sound much like the ones arguing against conceal carry because of officer safety. That is just one example of, since bad guys might use it, good guys shouldn't be allowed either. Using sirens and strobes as an a relative example is a bit ridiculous as the average citizen has absolutely no practical use for those things while window tint is a very practical item for many.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    For everyone suggesting that tint is ok for government vehicles but not ok for the public, giving safety concern for officers, you sound much like the ones arguing against conceal carry because of officer safety. That is just one example of, since bad guys might use it, good guys shouldn't be allowed either. Using sirens and strobes as an a relative example is a bit ridiculous as the average citizen has absolutely no practical use for those things while window tint is a very practical item for many.
    The big difference is that conceal carrying likely won't cause the average joe any harm to himself or to others.

Driving around in a blacked out vehicle that is very hard to see out of is a recipe for disaster. Most LE vehicles do not have full blacked out tint for this reason.

For those that do, the LEO accepts that risk for the added benefits.

Civilians really don't need the added benefit of a heavily tinted front windshield.

What's the case where it makes sense for an average joe to have a blacked out windshield and front seat windows?

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    The big difference is that conceal carrying likely won't cause the average joe any harm to himself or to others.

Driving around in a blacked out vehicle that is very hard to see out of is a recipe for disaster. Most LE vehicles do not have full blacked out tint for this reason.

For those that do, the LEO accepts that risk for the added benefits.

Civilians really don't need the added benefit of a heavily tinted front windshield.

What's the case where it makes sense for an average joe to have a blacked out windshield and front seat windows?

I would agree that concealed carry poses a low threat to society, as do tinted windows as long as you don't put it so dark that you can't see. I'm not sure if you know what legal tint looks like but it's basically not even worth using.

We as adult human beings can all assume our own risks, that is what freedom is all about.

Speak for yourself, but I'm a civilian and I would certainly enjoy the benefits of all tinted windows and I am most definitely far from the only one. In case you have never been in a vehicle that was tinted all around, it is super nice, especially with the new ceramic stuff, blocks the bright sun and the heat as well. People say the "no one 'needs' ________" line about a lot of things and you know what the best response is?
    831212056277097711d9abb8d6fcef18.gif

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana

Law enforcement, private investigators, and a few others are exempt from the window tint regulations. The law states that public officials are exempt as well. I have driven around with enough hardware in a truck to alter the way it handles. From modern firearms, to Civil War muskets. At one time I had an explosives license. I drove to jobsites with explosives in my truck. When I bought my current vehicle it was already tinted. Decided to apply for a security exception. I sent in my commission, and my credentials from the Department of Justice. My application should have been rubber stamped. It was denied.

As for a privately owned vehicle with lights and sirens. If you're in the right place at the right time with enough money in your pocket(<$2000), one can be yours. Mine was a 1963 Seagrave pumper truck. 906 cubic inch flathead V-12 under the hood, dual ignition, and twin 1 barrel downdraft carberators that you could stick your fist in. I sold it at the Auburn fall sale in 1996.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Law enforcement, private investigators, and a few others are exempt from the window tint regulations. The law states that public officials are exempt as well. I have driven around with enough hardware in a truck to alter the way it handles. From modern firearms, to Civil War muskets. At one time I had an explosives license. I drove to jobsites with explosives in my truck. When I bought my current vehicle it was already tinted. Decided to apply for a security exception. I sent in my commission, and my credentials from the Department of Justice. My application should have been rubber stamped. It was denied.

How'd you say it? Something like, "rules for thee, but I'll do what the hell I want because I'm better than you, peasant", or something along those lines.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I would agree that concealed carry poses a low threat to society, as do tinted windows as long as you don't put it so dark that you can't see. I'm not sure if you know what legal tint looks like but it's basically not even worth using.

We as adult human beings can all assume our own risks, that is what freedom is all about.

Speak for yourself, but I'm a civilian and I would certainly enjoy the benefits of all tinted windows and I am most definitely far from the only one. In case you have never been in a vehicle that was tinted all around, it is super nice, especially with the new ceramic stuff, blocks the bright sun and the heat as well. People say the "no one 'needs' ________" line about a lot of things and you know what the best response is?
    I'm exceptionally familiar with the tint laws in Louisiana.

I've always had SUVs, so I can have any darkness tint on the back windows (including the rear windshield). The front side windows can have 40% tint. I've always had 25% on the front and it's only slightly darker than 40%. Also never been stopped for it.

Modern ceramic tint at 40% is fine for heat blocking. Upgrading to darker ceramic tint doesn't really do much more besides look better.

I've driven fully blacked our cars with windshield tint. It sucks. A lot. Hell, I've had problems seeing out of my rear windshield at night and the only way I've not hit things backing in is due to a backup camera.

At night on the interstate with 10% rear windshield tint, I'm barely seeing car headlights behind me at a moderate distance.

I stand by my statement that driving with a blacked out front windshield is dangerous and an average civilian has no use for it. Plus, nowadays you can add a clear ceramic tint to the front windshield that is basically invisible but still aids in heat mitigation.

We can certainly assume our own risks, so long as they don't subjugate others to undue risk. For example: You may choose to drive drunk and accept the risk. But it's illegal to do so on the chance that you kill someone else. The same is true for fully blacking your car out making it much harder to see out of.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Comparing tint to concealed carry is a false equivalence. Those are not equal and someone could easily be for on but not the other, for both, or against both.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

831212056277097711d9abb8d6fcef18.gif
    Well, seeing as there are so many people who would enjoy the benefits, work to have the law changed. And I've driven a number of vehicles with tinting all around. They weren't dramatically cooler.

Top Bottom