Vintage Military Rifle Match at Palo Alto on August 30

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    There will be a vintage military match at Palo Alto in Donaldsonville, LA on Saturday August 30. Be there by 8:00 am to register. The match is for M1 Garands and Carbines and vintage military bolt guns. The entire match is shot at 200 yards on the military SR target. The course of fire is 5 sighting shots from any position. The next stage is 10 shots in 10 minutes from the prone position. This is followed by 10 shots in 80 seconds from the prone position. Finally, you shoot 10 shots from the standing position in 10 minutes.

We do allow people to fire rifles that do not meet the specifications for the match. However, they are "out of competition". Typically, these rifles are AR-15s and M1As, however, someone brought an FN-49 a couple of months ago.

I like to bring new shooters (at least new to position shooting) to these matches because it lets me help them with their positions and the targets are generous. It is an easy introduction to competitive shooting.

Dig those old war horses out of the closet and come shoot.

If anyone is interested, contact me and I will give you more information.

Dan

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    We will have a Garand/vintage military match at Palo Alto this Saturday. Cost is $15 for non PA members with 35 rounds of ammo/$12 for Palo Alto members. If you are shooting something beside 30-06 the cost is $4 for PA menbers and $7 for non Palo Alto members. Be there by 8:00 AM as the gates will be closed after that.

There will also be a Garand match at the Honey Island range on Labor Day. Cost is $15 for adults-$5 juniors. Registration 7:30-8:30. Bring your own ammo. The range is off exit 5B on I59. Range capicity is 30. Download a registration form at honeyisland223@aol.com or get one by e-mail from www.honeyisland.org. Hope to see you Saturday. If you need to borrow a rifle for Saturday let me know.

George Serrett

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Come on guys. I am not getting much response from the board. This is the chance to get out and do a little shooting with your military guns. Come earn some braggin' rights.

All shooting is done from 200 yards so an M1 carbine or an SKS could do it. Most shots are from the prone position. The targets are big - the scoring rings are 37" (about 18 MOA) and the black is 13". Should not be a problem even for Com Bloc surplus. Minute of washtub is sufficient.

It is a fun match where the participants don't take things too seriously. If you want to try out an NM AR, I can supply one. If you want to bring an FAL or HK, have at it. The only semi autos that are eligible for prizes are M1s, but you can shoot whatever you like for fun. Perhaps some intrepid soul will try his luck with an AK. It should be interesting if nothing else.

Let me know if you are interested.

Dan

PS I think the match director may have an M1 or two that someone could borrow if they like.

MoMallard

'03 guru
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    DeRidder, LA
    Wouldn't NOT saluting the purple and gold with a volley be UN-AMERICAN? Besides, the game doesn't start until 4pm. Plenty of time to shoot before tailgating.

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Have yet to test the cmp M1. Haven't been out in awhile and would love to make this one but with everything going on here with the new house, work, and the wife wanting to look for a new vehicle this weekend I doubt I will be able to. Next month XTC falls on training day for 4-H leadership training for shooting so I'll be a no show again. Maybe hit one in Gonzalas. I need to soon. Going stir crazy :eek3:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    What kind of new vehicle is she looking for?

You going to make the state championship? What about the leg match?

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    No clue. I'll be the second one to know. I did see a pic on the net of a 2008 Ford Bullit but I don't think I can convince her on that one.

Don't know yet. Big work deadline set for Oct. 31st. Will now better by middle of next month I hope.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Remember, I can help with a vehicle. Ford, Lincoln-Mercury, Nissan, Chevrolet, GMC, Pontiac, Buick, Cadilac, Toyota and Scion.

Top Bottom