waffle-house-refused-service-armed-us-navy-soldier

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meauxcg

Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    May 27, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    http://www.eater.com/2015/9/29/9415217/waffle-house-refused-service-armed-us-navy-soldier

he company has a strict no gun policy.

This past weekend, an armed member of the U.S. Navy was denied service at a Waffle House restaurant in Kentucky. According to a local NBC station, when officer Billy Welch — who was in uniform — sat down for a meal at the Nicholasville location of the 24-hour chain, he was told he'd need to disarm or leave the restaurant.

"If I can't have my firearm, then I can't be here"

Welch, who had his firearm holstered at his side when he walked in the door, was only asked to leave after he'd placed his order and the server noticed the gun. When she asked him to leave his gun outside, he refused. He later told the news station, "You know, if I can't have my firearm, then I can't be here. I walked inside to the other waitress. I said, 'thank you, but no thank you ma'am. I'm gonna have to leave.'"

A witness took to Facebook to express his discontent at the incident.

Waffle House restaurants across the South are frequently the scenes of deadly or bizarre crimes involving guns, and at least one commenter noticed the irony in this Waffle House's policy and actions. Laura Zolman wrote, "and if some crime took place there best is an armed military person who knows how to handle a weapon."

"Waffle House's official policy bans guns from its restaurants with the exception of law enforcement."

The restaurant's franchise owner released this statement: "For many years we have had a 'No Firearms' policy in place in our restaurants. We continue to believe this is the best policy for the safety of our customers and associates." Reached by phone, Waffle House's corporate communications department told Eater that this particular location was a franchised-owned location, and so the owner of this location may have been enforcing a slightly different rule. Waffle House's official policy bans guns from its restaurants with the exception of law enforcement.

Open carry remains an issue in public places like restaurants across the U.S. While many states and cities ban guns from dining establishments, controversial gun-themed restaurants have popped up in recent years. Notably, the staff at Shooters Grill in Rifle, Colo. wear loaded guns as part of their work uniform. Outside of Las Vegas, Bullets and Burgers — a combination shooting range and restaurant — had to close after a 9-year-old student accidentally shot and killed an instructor. The restaurant has since resumed operations.

Update, 9/29; 2:45 p.m. EST: An earlier version of this post incorrectly stated that an instructor at Bullets and Burgers accidentally shot a 9-year-old student; in fact the 9-year-old student accidentally shot and killed the instructor.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Over 30,000 people are killed using automobiles each year in the U.S. I'll do my part to help keep Waffle House safe by keeping mine away from their stores.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Over 30,000 people are killed using automobiles each year in the U.S. I'll do my part to help keep Waffle House safe by keeping mine away from their stores.

That's all you can do!

The irony is they (Waffle House Corporation), would probably want your prayers when a full on POS comes in there and kills someone during a robbery.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    That's all you can do!

The irony is they (Waffle House Corporation), would probably want your prayers when a full on POS comes in there and kills someone during a robbery.

Yep. I don't care to be grouped in with their (apparently) normal customer base if it's as bad as they're claiming. I have other options- and my Glock doesn't eat what they serve. :p

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Yep. I don't care to be grouped in with their (apparently) normal customer base if it's as bad as they're claiming. I have other options- and my Glock doesn't eat what they serve. :p

Not only that, have you ever seen the filth under the stoves and behind the counters in some of these shitholes? Given the choice, and if it could act on its own, your Glock would probably kill you for going there in the first place! :mamoru:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Not only that, have you ever seen the filth under the stoves and behind the counters in some of these shitholes? Given the choice, and if it could act on its own, your Glock would probably kill you for going there in the first place! :mamoru:

:rofl: Yep!

Cajun Camper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Lafayette, La.

This. The last time I walked into a Waffle House the guy cooking was covered in jail house tats & had a couple of open sores on his forearms. This was several years ago & I've never been to a Waffle House since then.

mineralman55

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Northshore
    Begin spreading the word on social media that "Awful House" is a "gun-free" zone. How long will it take until another coward targets one?

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    Pardon me if its been posted, but Waffle House responded with the rest of the story....it seems the NG guy had been in a couple fights/altercations at that Waffle House in the past. It may be that the employees asking him to leave did everyone a favor.

Sometimes we just have to wait till we hear more/the rest of the story to get a better picture of what really happened. :)

If you want to read more about it, just search yahoo news about Waffle House responding.....

Last edited:

mikacct

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2015
    Ponchatoula Louisiana
    I have not heard about this so I have no opinion. One of our sons best friend is a Navy guy, so this caught my attention.

However, WH lost my business a few years back due to repeated bad service. I have not gone to WH since and never will again.

I liked the way they called out orders, but based on my experience they quit doing that along with waiting on customers.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    What did being in the Navy have to do with it? Was he in uniform and carrying? Or was he in street clothes and carrying and saying he's Navy?
    I haven't been to WH in years since I found out they were anti gun.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Ok I read it again he wasn't Navy he was National Guard. From reading it they have had a problem with him before and had to get LE involved. I would like to hear more details about how he was dressed uniform or not.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Update, 9/30; 11:15 a.m. EST: Ray Daniels, the owner of the Waffle House franchise in question, has released an updated statement:
    "Unfortunately, we have been besieged with a misrepresentation of the facts regarding the incident with the National Guardsman, Mr. Welch, at one of LexiDan Foods Waffle House establishments. The facts are simple. We do have a policy posted on our Waffle House franchise buildings stating our policy in permitting firearms in our buildings. We normally are very loose on how we enforce that policy in terms of the military. However, on this particular incident, two facts have not been reported accurately that facilitated the situation with Mr. Welch. First, he was an active participant in a fight on the premises several weeks prior to September 27th. He was restrained and taken off the premises by off-duty police officers that were eating in the restaurant at the time. The second item not reported accurately was the time the most recent incident occurred, 2AM. We have associates who have to make snap decisions on our third shifts to provide for their own safety and the safety of our customers. Our associates decided because of Mr. Welch's recent altercation, which they witnessed, it was in their best interest at 2 AM to ask Mr. Welch to leave his firearm in his vehicle. Mr. Welch decided to leave. We still tried to garner his business at that point. I am supportive of my team's decision. I was not there and will not judge their decision making after the fact. If this incident occurred at 10am in the morning and Mr. Welch had not been involved in a previous fight I'm sure the outcome would have been different. I feel Lex 18 did not do due diligence in their reporting. We are highly supportive of all our military branches and especially supportive of our veterans. I hope this provides some clarification on the matter. Thank you for taking the time to read this and understanding that in any business, judgment decisions have to be made to provide for the safety of our associates and customers."

Top Bottom