Wal-mart

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    I have seen several references to purchasing ammo at Wal-mart. However, my local store doesn't carry it. Do any of the stores in New Orleans sell handgun ammo? Thanks.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    To my knowledge,the Tchoupitoulas Wal Mart does not carry ammunition since Katrina. To date,there are no stores in New Orleans that sell ammunition with the exception of the Algiers Wal Mart on Behrman hwy. There are also no gun stores at all in Orleans parish. Oh yeah,make sure you put your location in your profile as well.

mb504

Better than Cheese
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    New Orleans
    There is Professional Sport Shop at 920 Julia St. They stock ammo, but don't sell guns. They have a FFL and will do transfers, just be sure to as in advance.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Wal-Mart has the best price on many calibers for target ammo. Baton Rouge area stores seem to be fairly well stocked. I'm pretty sure LaPlace and Hammond carry ammo, and I know they do on the northshore. Check any you happen upon.

3axap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Wal-Mart near Huey P Long bridge stocks ammo as well as the Wal-Mart on Veterans blvd (near Veterans and Roosevelt intersection). Veterans Wally typically has more ammo than Harahan.

gocoastal

I'm a girl.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    NOLA
    I have gotten Federal 9mm at the one on Manhattan Blvd in Harvey, Jeff Hwy in Harahan, and on Vets. Definitely hit or miss whether it is available and getting the lady in Harahan to show up and get the box from behind the glass is a huge pain.

critta

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metairie
    I've rarely had a problem finding 9mm or .40 ammo at the Wal-Marts in Metairie, Kenner and Chalmette. They usually always have Federal 9mm FMJ for $9.87/50 and .40 for $12.87/50. They have even started carrying Federal JHP for $22.97/50 rounds. I even came across .380 Winchester ammo in 100 round boxes last night at the Wal Mart on Vets. That was I believe $32.99 or so.

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    Stopped by the Walmart of jefferson Hwy last night. I haven't seen the case that full in years. They had a ton of WWB .45, Federal .45, .40, 9mm.

Longshot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I spoke to some Wal-mart employees in the Atlanta area quite some time ago, and they mentioned that the guns and ammo were looted from the NOLA stores after Katrina. Being the insurance liability it was, most stores have stopped selling guns, and some stopped stocking ammo. It varies wildly from store to store, but I rarely see gun cabinets in store anymore, and I was unable to special order a rifle at the last store I visited back home. Odd, considering I ordered a rifle from them just a few years prior.

This is coming from a couple Wal-mart employees, so take it for what it's worth. The store here in BR (not the neighborhood 'grocery') usually does a good job of keeping ammo in stock. In the past I've bought 9mm, .40S&W, birdshot, 3" 00-buck, 2 3/4" rifled slugs, and .223Rem. IIRC, I saw 45ACP and 7.62x39 behind the counter as well...and I'm sure they keep the common deer cartridges in stock.

Last edited:

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I spoke to some Wal-mart employees in the Atlanta area quite some time ago, and they mentioned that the guns and ammo were looted from the NOLA stores after Katrina. Being the insurance liability it was, most stores have stopped selling guns, and some stopped stocking ammo. It varies wildly from store to store, but I rarely see gun cabinets in store anymore, and I was unable to special order a rifle at the last store I visited back home. Odd, considering I ordered a rifle from them just a few years prior.

This is coming from a couple Wal-mart employees, so take it for what it's worth. The store here in BR (not the neighborhood 'grocery') usually does a good job of keeping ammo in stock. In the past I've bought 9mm, .40S&W, birdshot, 3" 00-buck, 2 3/4" rifled slugs, and .223Rem. IIRC, I saw 45ACP and 7.62x39 behind the counter as well...and I'm sure they keep the common deer cartridges in stock.

The Wally World in Walker has guns.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Hmm, kinda off topic, but why no gun stores in Orleans Parish? I didn't know this.

Metz,

It is because the patriotic geniuses in Orleans Parish all insist on shopping at Wal Marts and Academy's in neighboring areas.

It takes over $2,000,000.00 to open a good new gunshop like Jim's Firearms.
    The liability insurance costs are tremendous.

The juries here are noted for punishing honest citizens.

Sorry reasons, but that's it.

leVieux
    New Orleans

Turn Key

Stuck up North
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I swear, Walmart has has become one of the leading ammo distributors.

They have roughly 6 stores within 20 miles of my home. Although I do still try to do some business with my favorite LGS.

TK

Last edited:
    Top Bottom