Wanting to compete; Need to know some how to's?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I am considering joining Palo Alto and competing in some of the various matches they have.

I am a pretty good marksman, but have never competed. Can anyone of you veteran match competitors tell me how they score these things so I can practice under actual scoring conditions?

Rifle and Pistol.

Thanks

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    There are several rifle competitions. Are you interested in Across the Course style with service AR's shot at 200, 300 and 600. If so, DZelenka is the man to contact.

If you're talking about 600 yard prone or Field Precision rifle, some of the rest of us can help you. I shoot 600 yard F-T/R and 600 Field Precision (new at Palo).

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I am wondering how they score. For instance; I saw some final score examples on their website:

575-10x What does that mean?

The final scores looked like this: 199 11 197 11 199 8 595 30

Obviously this is a mathematical sum of certian ppoints, is it certain numbers of hits in a certain ring, number of shots, etc?

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    I am wondering how they score. For instance; I saw some final score examples on their website:

575-10x What does that mean?

The final scores looked like this: 199 11 197 11 199 8 595 30

Obviously this is a mathematical sum of certian ppoints, is it certain numbers of hits in a certain ring, number of shots, etc?

That is a score for three strings of 20 rounds shot- 199 11 means 199 out of 200 possible points with 11 X's. The X counts as 10, the 10 ring as 10 , the 9 ring as 9 and so forth. This person's first string had all rounds in the 10 ring or X, except one in the 9 ring. 11 were in the X.
    The 595 30 is the aggregate total of all three strings. 595 points out of a possible 600 with 30 in the X ring.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    199 11

Means that person scored 199 points out of a possible of 200 for that particular leg of the match. 11 is the number of shots in the X-ring. (Outstanding by the way.)

595 is the total out of 600 obviously with a total of 30 in the X-ring.

If the scores are a tie then the x-count determines the winner.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Got it! Is the target a particular diameter, type, etc.. And; what about pistol matches? Same scoring, same targets?

Thanks, Again.

titleguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    I'm certainly not a veteran---I shot my first (practice) match out there at 600 yds. last weekend. But I'll give you a few pieces of advice a based on what I've recently learned.

First, you don't have to be a member to shoot the comps at Palo Alto. So, you should find a comp you want to shoot---talk to some people on here to make sure you have the right gear and you know what you are getting into---and come out and shoot.

Second, you'll probably want to join after you go out there. The place is very organized and well-run. I need to let my wallet recover a bit from all of the reloading stuff I bought and then I'm definitely going to join.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I want a comfortable place to practice at varying distances, and I have a shooting buddy who is already a member. That would be the main reason for joining.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    I answered before I realized that you were specifically asking only about pistol competitions at Palo Alto...sorry 'bout that :)

Just in case you're interested, the info for a full schedule of pistol competition elsewhere in South Louisiana can be found at www.lagator.org and www.uspsa.org. The Appendix in the USPSA rulebook has the targets and the points awarded for each scoring zone: A, B, C & D.

Practical pistol competitions are scored on a hit factor scoring system that basically balances time and points to create an overall ranking in each stage...the goal is maximum points in minimum time. Each stage is awarded match points based on these match points which then are used to establish the placement in each division for that match. Each match has one stage, the classifier, which is used to establish a competitor's class on a national basis: from Grandmaster, Master, A, B, C, D (and U for unranked).

Last edited:

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Got it! Is the target a particular diameter, type, etc.. And; what about pistol matches? Same scoring, same targets?

Thanks, Again.

Scoring depends on type of match but if your shooting F-Class or XTC you'll see scores such as those mentioned. For XTC the target bull (black portion) is made to look the same size in your iron sights at the distances used. A small primer on XTC ... http://www.6mmbr.com/highpowerbasics.html

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    I don't shoot pistol comps, but I believe they are about to start some type of pistol competition. PM Pangris.

As far as target size, the F-Class X Ring for the target at 600 yards is 3". We shoot with optics. The open sight XTC and Mid-range Prone open sight folks 600 yard target has a 6" X ring.

Any member and their guest can shoot on the 100 yard range. If you shoot on the 600 yard range, the member you shoot with needs to have a special orientation. That range has shooting berms at 200, 300, I believe 500, but may be 400 and 600 yards.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    If you want to try across the course highpower shooting, you don't need to have any equipment. You can borrow it. About the only thing we would prefer you bring is your own ammo providing it is appropriate for the course of fire. Most of us shoot AR-15 Service Rifles - no rest, no scope (inside joke :D).

PM me if you are interested.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Thanks to all! Very useful information.

One last question; Is there any where near Baton Rouge/Prairieville that allows Combat Style Pistol Practice (Shoot and Move)?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tdwarner
    Top Bottom