Weekend Highpower Clinics and Match

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Palo Alto Rifle and Pistol Club hosted a highpower clinic on Saturday that was pretty well attended by BSers. At the Saturday clinic we had 18 new (or newish) shooters including 5 BSers - SKYWLKR, bgremill, owen502, Zeek and FALfan. We did a little over an hour of classroom instruction where we discussed safety, equipment, the course of fire, scoring, sight alignment and sight pictures, positions, natural point of aim, focus and trigger control (among other things). Then we headed to the 200 yard line and target pits for some live fire. The class was split into two groups with one going to the pits and the other to the line. The group in the pits was taught scoring and those on the line were provided with their own coach to shoot. We started with prone slow fire so that everyone could zero in his rifle. The we did a prone rapid fire string, a sitting slow fire and rapid fire and standing slow fire. After completing firing the groups switched. When everyone had a chance to shoot, we retired to the 600 yard line for a demonstration in slow prone shooting and rudimentary wind reading. everyone was able to see a major wind change when the front moved through. The shooter had 1.5 MOA left wind on the gun aand was centered up. as the wind changed he put more and more right wind on and only managed to shoot 7s at 9 o'clock. When he finished he had over 4.5 MOA right wind on the gun - a 6 MOA change in the wind. Certainly one you should notice.

On Sunday, there was a 200 yard reduced course match at the Ascension Parish sheriff's range in Gonzales. Mtcur3 and wildman came with their kids, ages 14 to 20, including two 16 year old girls. several of us taught an abrieviated clinic before the match and oriented everyon to the course of fire and positions. It turned out to be the perfect day for shooting as there were no conditions to deal with. No wind or light problems. I had expected a number of BSers from the day before and who had contacted me to show up, but no joy. I need t tell you guys that you screwed up. It was a great match. However, it was one that may have needed egos checked at the door because the juniors shot lights out. Of the 5 new juniors shooting their first match, the lowest score was a 422/500 (a solid Sharpshooter score) and the highest, turned in by one of the young ladies, was a 444/500 (one point shy of Expert). The kids did great and I hope to see them out there again.

I want to thank everyone who came and I would appreciate it you would discuss your experiences here. If you have some discussion that you would rather remain private (such as a critique, either good or bad), please send me an email. These clinics are a work in progress and we are always looking for ways to make them better.

Dan

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I sent out notice of this clinic through my email list to everyone (not just BSers) who had previously expressed an interest in learning how to shoot an NRA highpower competition. By doing it that way, I not only limited it to interested shooters, but I had a way to get in touch with everyone that said they were coming in case we had to cancel for weather or some other event. I also was able to bring sufficient coaching resources to bear. If you want to be placed on my highpower list, PM me with your real name and email address and I will add you. Nom de guerre are fine for the forum, but I want to know everyone that shoots with me.

Dan

By the way 29 shooters said they were coming Saturday (I could only handle 30) and 11 didn't show. Some called (emailed) and let me know and others didn't. We should have had a better crowd than we did.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Oh. The Gonzales match is the 4th Sunday of every month. if you get in touch with me by the Thursday before and come to the range for 7:30, I will bring the equipment you need and teach you enough to get you through the match. Nearly a dozen BSers have done that and so far all have enjoyed it. In other words, don't wait for a formal clinic.

Dan

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I was waiting for this thread. Thanks again Dan for putting on the clinic like that. I can't even think of what needs to be improved with it. I have only been to a few others, but they were multiple day clinics. We did alot in one day. It was good to get back into position shooting. I think I might have the bug for this now... Spent all morning making a spreadsheet of potential purchases. I think I need to start with a rifle.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Coat and glove.

I would love to do a 2 day clinic like the AMU does. Spend one day discussing theory and working with each shooter on their positions. Then on day two going to the range and shooting. Most participants want to shoot and it is hard to get them to attend for two days. As an example, only one of the Saturday clinic participants attended the Gonzales match on Sunday to practice what they learned. All of the coaches were there.

This is not a one clinic and cut you loose deal. We will continue to coach and assist you until you have your feet under you. You should have the match schedule. Come out and shoot with us.

Dan

Zeek

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Denham Springs
    I had a good time on Saturday. It was my first time doing that type of shooting. Working the pit was really interesting. It amazed me that all you hear is the supersonic crack as the bullet passes overhead, which to me sounded like a kids cap gun.

The instruction was great. I guess I absorbed enough during the class part because the positions kind of fell into place for me. The guy who instructed me(I told him I forget names, but he did the 600 demo) said I made it easy for him. After about 10 shots I was able to call my shots consistently. I shot better than I expected, even more so with that wind. I think most of my shots were 9 or better, but better than that they seem to hit the same spot most of the time.

It is wonderful to be involved in a sport, or at least with this group of folks, where everyone loves what they do and will do whatever they can to help each other out. That is especially important bringing the juniors on board. When the newbs are exposed to such great sportsmanship, it helps by leaps and bounds to continue that path as we progress down the road. For me, it will always be a competition against myself, always striving to be better, the end results of a match just extra frosting on the cake.

Thanks to Dan and all of the folks there Saturday that made it so successful.

Zeek

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Coat and glove.

I would love to do a 2 day clinic like the AMU does. Spend one day discussing theory and working with each shooter on their positions. Then on day two going to the range and shooting. Most participants want to shoot and it is hard to get them to attend for two days. As an example, only one of the Saturday clinic participants attended the Gonzales match on Sunday to practice what they learned. All of the coaches were there.

This is not a one clinic and cut you loose deal. We will continue to coach and assist you until you have your feet under you. You should have the match schedule. Come out and shoot with us.

Dan

Two days of yard leave is next to impossible for me. As old as I am, both of my kids are young and my wife counts on me to give her a break from dealing with them all week while I have it 'easy' at work (I do). But I will gladly give up other yard leave opportunities to make it to the range with you guys when ever I can. Just wont likely be two days in a row, unless it is SUPER special.

About the log books. Do the LSA rifles have their own log book? Do I need one even if I use the LSA rifles? I would think I do, but I never asked that question. How to score stuff in the log book I did not learn.

Coats. I browsed the Creedmoor site and looked at the various coats. It was obvious that you get what you pay for, but HOW much more do you get with the rapid increase in price?

BTW, if anyone has about a size 38 coat they are willing to part with, tell them to PM or email me! :D

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    The juniors who shoot the LSA rifles regularly grab the same rifle every time and keep their own data book on that rifle. It would be good to have a log book and do the same. I really like the Centershot Sports Service Rifle book, but you may do better with the Creedmoor book. The big difference is that the Creedmoor book has scale targets on which to plot your shots and the Centershot has targets with large 9, 10 and X rings with thin 8 and 7 rings (it doesn't have anything lower). If you shoot most of your shots in the 9, 10 and X rings, get the Centershot, if not, get the Creedmoor. There are instructions in the books, but you need only ask to get some help.

In addition, we keep log books on the number of rounds and the maintenance we do on the rifles.

Size 38 coats are hard to come by. When the junior program has money, I buy them for the juniors when I see them. SKYWLKR has been looking for a while. I pass all deals (that I don't buy myself) to my email list so you will be getting announcements. Some are excellent like the $1200 custom service rifle or the $125 size 38 tapered coat (oh wait the juniors got that one :mamoru:), others are just good. I will not pass on a deal that isn't at least good.

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I wish I could remember what size coat I borrowed....It had a LSP patch on it. I guess I will just have to measure myself. Do alot of people have the $125 class of coats, or are most of them the $300+ models?

WILDMAN

Liberty Gun Works
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Mar 19, 2007
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    Hi! I thought I would write a few words on the 200 yard match at Gonzalas on this past Sunday. It was an awesome time of getting to meet new folks and finally experiencing the excitement I have been hearing about. I brought three of my children aged 9 to 16. I would have had the 2 older ones shooting but due to a broken hand only my 16 year old daughter could shoot. To say she was a little nervous would be an understatement. I had brought her to the local range on Friday to coach her on shooting my Colt pre-ban 6700 of the which she had not shot before due to a personal fear of recoil brought on by me in a moment of lack of wisdom when she was about 10 in letting her shoot a break action 20ga. Well, it seems as though through the excellent coaching provided by Dan and the extremely friendly folks, she was able to calm her fears and shoot the match. I wish to publicly thank Dan and everyone at LSA who were kind enough to loan the shooting jackets and gloves and the rifles in order to participate. Proud, of course I am proud of her and hope I can provide all it takes to keep her interested in this sport as it seems she will excell given the opportunity. I just hope I can pry her away from her other love (her horse) long enough to do so. BTW, I will be in the market for a shooting jacket to fit a 16 year old medium thin female. Thanks, WILDMAN

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I wish I could remember what size coat I borrowed....It had a LSP patch on it. I guess I will just have to measure myself. Do alot of people have the $125 class of coats, or are most of them the $300+ models?

I am pretty sure you wore Jay Hunt's coat. It is a 52. Most people use Creedmoor Heavy Hardback coats as they give the greatest support. I don't know what the current price is (they were $50 off), but $300 ish shound right for the all cordura ones. The $125 coats don't provide any support, they only provide padding and non-slip surfaces.

I stole that size 38. It was a barely used Creedmoor Heavy Hardback that I picked up for $125.

Dan

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    You can find used coats at some pretty good prices on the various High Power websites for other states. I picked up a heavy creedmoor in excellent shape for $75 from the Tennessee website. Added a mirror image of the padding on the opposite side for another $75+/- so now I can shoot the ar left handed and the garand right handed.... yeah, I know, I'm weird.

mtcur3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Thibodaux, LA
    I attended the High Power match in Gonzales last Sunday with my wife and three kids. I had communicated with Dan beforehand and he was there early with the instructors and gear we needed to “passer un bon temps.” The kids enjoyed the match and shot well for their first time out. Dan has accomplished a great feat pulling together the resources and able coaches willing to invest the time and money to see that High Power is passed to the younger generation. We were also impressed with the more experience junior shooters who gladly shared their knowledge and gear with us. Over the years we have attended quite a few matches, rimfire as well as pistol, none have done a better job of making us feel welcome. We look forward to attending upcoming events as time and money permit. Special thanks to Dan who coached my youngest son, to Wayne who coached my daughter and the gentleman who impressed my oldest when he opined, “I’ve come to the conclusion that the real fun is reloading, we just shoot so we can get more brass!”:D
    Best regards,
    Bill Hickman and family

Top Bottom