Well; Looky Here! CHP Renewal Notice! 150 Days Out!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I just got this in today's mail. It is a notification to renew my CHP from the state. In case you can't see the document, it is dated March 2, 2012. The expiration date of my CHP is July 31, 2012 (5 months out).

I guess now we have a few questions from a previous thread answered.

You can click the document to see it larger.

CHP Renewal Jpeg.jpg

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I still have a lingering question though, I guess.

I suppose we don't know if an individual can start the process this far out without the notice?!?

I did find this on the site:

Renewals:

1.Permit holders will be notified in writing at their address of record, approximately 120 days prior to the expiration of their permit to begin the renewal process.

2.Upon notification, download and complete the Concealed Handgun Permit Application.

3.Submit the renewal application with a new passport photograph, a new training certificate, a photocopy of your driver's license, and the appropriate fees.

4.The completed application should be returned to the Department no less than 90 days prior to the expiration of the permit to allow sufficient time for processing.

5.You must submit your application within 60 days after the expiration date or you will be required to submit a new original application including fingerprints.

6.All completed renewal applications must be submitted to:
    Louisiana State Police
    Concealed Handgun Permit Unit
    PO Box 66375
    Baton Rouge, LA 70896

I'm not going to complain. I appreciate the notification.

Last edited:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Straight off the LSP page.... No less than 90 days out is the suggestion. If I had to guess between 3-6 months is the recommended time frame to begin the process.

Renewals:
    Permit holders will be notified in writing at their address of record, approximately 120 days prior to the expiration of their permit to begin the renewal process.
    Upon notification, download and complete the Concealed Handgun Permit Application.
    Submit the renewal application with a new passport photograph, a new training certificate, a photocopy of your driver's license, and the appropriate fees.
    The completed application should be returned to the Department no less than 90 days prior to the expiration of the permit to allow sufficient time for processing.
    You must submit your application within 60 days after the expiration date or you will be required to submit a new original application including fingerprints.
    All completed renewal applications must be submitted to:
    Louisiana State Police
    PO Box 66375
    Baton Rouge, LA 70896

MY QUESTION:
    If you begin the application process at 120 days, and it goes through lickety split and you receive it in 30 days... Have you just shaven off nearly six months of your CHP? So in 16 years you will have paid for an additional CHP unnecessarily? (Yes, I know. It's a bogus one but I'm bored babysitting these twatwaffles in my bathroom)

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Straight off the LSP page.... No less than 90 days out is the suggestion. If I had to guess between 3-6 months is the recommended time frame to begin the process.

Renewals:
    Permit holders will be notified in writing at their address of record, approximately 120 days prior to the expiration of their permit to begin the renewal process.
    Upon notification, download and complete the Concealed Handgun Permit Application.
    Submit the renewal application with a new passport photograph, a new training certificate, a photocopy of your driver's license, and the appropriate fees.
    The completed application should be returned to the Department no less than 90 days prior to the expiration of the permit to allow sufficient time for processing.
    You must submit your application within 60 days after the expiration date or you will be required to submit a new original application including fingerprints.
    All completed renewal applications must be submitted to:
    Louisiana State Police
    PO Box 66375
    Baton Rouge, LA 70896

MY QUESTION:
    If you begin the application process at 120 days, and it goes through lickety split and you receive it in 30 days... Have you just shaven off nearly six months of your CHP? So in 16 years you will have paid for an additional CHP unnecessarily? (Yes, I know. It's a bogus one but I'm bored babysitting these twatwaffles in my bathroom)

Well considering the screams around here from some about how much this permit costs; that seems to be a valid question.

However, since I value my personal safety and life to be worth a wee bit more than an extra $125 over the next 16 years (if I even live that long), I will let it slide! ;)

Now, I just got off the phone with a woman at LSP Handgun Permit Division named Shaina. And as some of you know, the application is detailed. So my question was, "Do I have to fill out ALL of the arrest info again; and the previous address stuff?"

She said no! I can use "See Previous Application!"

And she went as far to tell me that this is acceptable for any of the follwoing questions on the Apllication:

Arrest History
    DD214 Questions
    Previous Address
    Divorce Status

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I'll state it is NOT acceptable to use "See previous information" for any medical changes that required you to fill out the medical forms, as I understand it.

ANY change to your medical status after you have received a CHP, it is strongly advised you have your doctor to fill out the forms and send it in to be included in your file. That's it. Just an "update in status" change. As I understand it, it does not alter or change the date of your CHP status. It literally is just an inclusion to your paperwork.

That's coming straight from the horse's mouth FWIW.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Other than fingerprints, how, exactly, is this any different from the original application? You need a new certificate or a new copy of your original? New forms, notary and photo? Seems awfully redundant unless there are major changes involved.

WestBank_Dan

My Ninja dog!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Marrero, LA
    Other than fingerprints, how, exactly, is this any different from the original application? You need a new certificate or a new copy of your original? New forms, notary and photo? Seems awfully redundant unless there are major changes involved.

was wondering the same about the certificate....but i think you're suppose to take another class

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla

:doh:

TRAINING
    Original/First-Time Applicants:
    In addition to meeting the qualifications in R.S. 40:1379.3(C), an applicant must demonstrate competence with a handgun by completion of an approved firearms safety or training course taught by an NRA or P.O.S.T. certified instructor that is registered with State Police, or completion of small arms training while serving in the military (as evidenced by a DD-214), [active service members, reservist and national guard members must include a clear photocopy of their military ID (front & back) with a copy of their last qualification record from their 201 file], or possession of a current valid license to carry a concealed weapon issued by a parish law enforcement officer.
    Renewals:
    Pursuant to LAC 55:I:1307.D, each permittee applying for a renewal of his permit shall complete additional educational training within one year prior to submitting a renewal application. To obtain renewal training, please contact one of the LSP registered instructors.

It's all right there on the website, every single CHP question barring parades or restaurants serving alcohol. ;)
    You need additional training every single time you renew your license. That is to ensure any legal changes and refreshing your knowledge on when/where/how you can defend yourself and carry a firearm.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Renewals:
    Pursuant to LAC 55:I:1307.D, each permittee applying for a renewal of his permit shall complete additional educational training within one year prior to submitting a renewal application. To obtain renewal training, please contact one of the LSP registered instructors.

It's all right there on the website, every single CHP question barring parades or restaurants serving alcohol. ;)
    You need additional training every single time you renew your license. That is to ensure any legal changes and refreshing your knowledge on when/where/how you can defend yourself and carry a firearm.

Thank you, Ma'am, for clearing that up. I just got my first permit 3 weeks ago so I am new at this process. Thanks again for the info.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Thank you, Ma'am, for clearing that up. I just got my first permit 3 weeks ago so I am new at this process. Thanks again for the info.

No problem. Just for the record:

You can carry in a crowd while viewing the parade. If you are in a parade staging area, to walk or ride a float in the parade you cannot carry. Recap: Watch, yes. Walk, no.
    It is generally acceptable to carry *IN* a restaurant serving alcohol. Bars and Chili's Restaurant are two different animals. Assuming you're not drinking more than appropriately allowed in a restaurant either, which is umm... .05%.
    When Wal-Mart asks you to leave if you're open carrying (not that you should be, since you have a CHP) please do. You are no longer utilizing your right to carry. You are trespassing.

When you go to the range to shoot, carry a bullet wound/gun shot emergency kit in your range bag. (It's a just a good idea in general)

If you have any questions, here's a great place. Sometimes we don't mean to be snarky about our answers, but at times we have to wade through the idiots. The genuinely curious sometimes gets the short end of the stick at first if they don't admit up front they're very new to the CHP scene. :D

The three tips I posted above has been hashed to death. After, oh, five years of this board debating the ins and outs, that has been the consensus.... Well, the last one is just a smart ass reminder not to be a dumb ass. We've had those kind too. Your right to carry can be denied by "public" businesses and you can be arrested. :)

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom