WENT Bison Hunting.. PHOTOS!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plinky

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Leaving Thursday for my first Bison hunt, hopefully a big bull, 6-7yrs old in the 2000lb range. Alot of hamburger meat,lol. Steaks would be like holster leather i would think. I will be videoing this one so i will try and post up pics and vids when i return. Always wanted to shoot one, figured with my new freezer its time to fill er up!

If anyone wants some ribs or flank meat for jerky let me know i usually dont use those parts. also, anyone know of a good butcher in baton rouge that can handle the processing? I usually do my own but this is going to be aalot of meat. any info is appreciated.

This is what i want...

bison-buffalo-hunting.jpg

Last edited:

Plinky

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Taking my .30 cal , i will definately post some details, I have hunted this place im going before for different animals and every time i see the Bison i keep saying."next time" well this is "next time" lol.

Also gonna shoot a Fallow for some meat worth eating,lol. I will be hunting a wooded area most likely so the shots will be short, would be nice to get a good distance shot on camera but kinda hard to brag about hitting something the size of a truck,lol.

anyone have info on a good processor in the BR area?

jjoker16

Rating - 98.3%
    57   1   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    Cutrer Slaughter House in Kentwood. I know its not baton rouge, but they are good and have fair prices. I just slaughtered a pig here. And thier sasuage is the best I EVER had.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=slaughter+house+in+kentwood,+la&fb=1&gl=us&hq=slaughter+house&hnear=Kentwood,+LA&cid=0,0,12673144982490198239&ei=K8eGTMeiC4OBlAfJ5M2CDw&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBMQnwIwAA
    (985) 229-2478

there is also a place in plaqumine called rouchers. Never been there but i know people who get thier pigs and cows done there. thier number is 225/687-4258

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I have been thinking of lining up a Buffalo hunt and shooting it with my sharps rifle kinda like they did back then.

Where are you going for the hunt? Guided? If so let me know how the guide service was and I may check them out if you give them a good review.

Please dont forget the pics......Good luck.

Plinky

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks Joker! and WH its a guided 1 on 1 but its a local hunt, a preserve out towards alexandria la, not the plains of wyoming, got to go where i get the best deal and this was a great deal,lol.

Bayou when i come back ill post here, get in touch with me then and i will give ya what i got im not using.

Plinky

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    well its running around a cpl thousand acres of woods and meadows so ya have to find it, but its not like having to cover 50 miles in a jeep to find the herd or anything. Walking right up to a mature bull this time of year is not recommended.

Fisherman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    The steaks won't be like leather. They're some of the leanest and tender you'll ever have. Depending on how they're cooked that is.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    well its running around a cpl thousand acres of woods and meadows so ya have to find it, but its not like having to cover 50 miles in a jeep to find the herd or anything. Walking right up to a mature bull this time of year is not recommended.

I drove up on one outside of Mt. Rushmore. Stubborn bastard wouldn't move. There was a drop off of 50 ft along the right side of the road and a sheer cliff on the other. I was much dumber than I am now and I got way to close, but he didn't move (or drive his hoof through my neck). We looked into each others eyes and had a 'moment', like I looked into all of nature's soul that day, and from then on I tell everyone to call me Tatanka When The Walls Fell.

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    I have been thinking of lining up a Buffalo hunt and shooting it with my sharps rifle kinda like they did back then.

Where are you going for the hunt? Guided? If so let me know how the guide service was and I may check them out if you give them a good review.

Please dont forget the pics......Good luck.

ditto here...........:D

Plinky

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I drove up on one outside of Mt. Rushmore. Stubborn bastard wouldn't move. There was a drop off of 50 ft along the right side of the road and a sheer cliff on the other. I was much dumber than I am now and I got way to close, but he didn't move (or drive his hoof through my neck). We looked into each others eyes and had a 'moment', like I looked into all of nature's soul that day, and from then on I tell everyone to call me Tatanka When The Walls Fell.

Then you can understand why i love hunting, its not about killing, i just enjoy the nature. Many times i have let trophy wild roaming animals pass thru my scope simply because of their majestic awe. Being in the woods is many times , enough to satisfy my instinctive need to be amongst the beasts.

.. this time its all about the beef,lol.

RickyT

LA CHP INSTRUCTOR #413
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Bedico
    Cutrer Slaughter House in Kentwood. I know its not baton rouge, but they are good and have fair prices. I just slaughtered a pig here. And thier sasuage is the best I EVER had.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=slaughter+house+in+kentwood,+la&fb=1&gl=us&hq=slaughter+house&hnear=Kentwood,+LA&cid=0,0,12673144982490198239&ei=K8eGTMeiC4OBlAfJ5M2CDw&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBMQnwIwAA
    (985) 229-2478

there is also a place in plaqumine called rouchers. Never been there but i know people who get thier pigs and cows done there. thier number is 225/687-4258

+1 on Cutrer's

Top Bottom