What AR to get and why?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    This is not for me; but for my wife’s uncle. He asked me yesterday at Easter which AR he should get w/o breaking the bank. He wanted to know how much it would save him to assemble one. I told him I didn’t think the savings were significant enough to pass up a complete rifle with a warranty.

He said he has his eye on an Olympic one. He wants a collapsible stock and a 16” barrel. Other than that he wants to save money and also wants to know what accessories are recommended. There once was a guy on here who had a web page dedicated to his AR but it is no longer and he deleted all of his photos that were on this site relevant to his AR.

Anyways, please advise on which AR he should go with. I told him to pick the one with the emblem he liked best.:rofl: And then I got a weird stare.

Thanks

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    I recently saw mention on the AR15 website that while RRA is usually given rave reviews they admit to having a batch of out of spec lowers sent out to customers. Not sure if they were used on complete rifles or sold individually. Might be worth checking out first if you see one at a good price.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Can somebody clear this up for me. I read somewhere the pins used to connect and upper and lower (along w/ the associated holes) were of a different size on colts compared to everyone else's lower... True or false?

FrankJr

Tazer,Mace,then Miranda
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 12, 2007
    Zachary, La
    +1 for Rock River. I liked th fact it came with a hogue grip and a two-stage trigger. Worth the extra couple of bucks over a bushy my buddy bought just for the trigger.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    True. PITA if you want to mix/match.

I wouldn't mix/match a Colt with other stuff. If it is a fighting gun, leave it be. If it is a fun gun, get an RRA.

Tim excuse me while I hijack your thread for a sec.

Pangris
    Please explain to me what you mean by a "fighting gun"
    I honestly do not understand that statment.

To me all my guns are for fighting

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    +1 on the CMMG. My dad and I bought 3 at Christmas. Mine has a DPMS lower and CMMG upper. I have put almost 500 rounds through it without a problem. They are great guns and can't believe they sell them as used. Mine came wrapped in plastic with heavy grease and looked brand new. Best $625.00 I ever spent.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I dont have any regrets about my RRA, I've only had one problem which was fixed no questions asked by RRA. And I'm spoiled by the cleanliness and weight of the 2stage trigger, anytime I shoot another AR it just doesnt feel right. Heavy and vague

greg t

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    NOLA area
    i too bought a CMMG bargain bin and had it shipped to morey's. purchased on a sunday, got a confirmation e-mail the next day, and it was in morey's shop about two weeks later. i paid for a 16" chrome lined 1-7 twist with standard m4 handguards and received DPMS upper/lower with 16" chrome lined 1-9 twist and free float handguards since they were apparently sold out of the standard HG version by the time they got to mine.

i added a YHM fixed rear sight and a victory series BFG 2 point sling. all together, i have less than $800 into a VERY capable fighting rifle.

if i were to do it over again, i wouldn't change a thing at all, but i will probably end up with a top-shelf CMMG upper/lower before too long.

and i won't touch the colt vs. all-others debate. that's almost as juicy as bringing up LMT in morey's shop :rofl:

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    Toyz: +1 for Airsoft. I know some guys who terrorize their shift with those things. hmmmm

There is nothing soft about the .20g 6mm BB's at 300 fps.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    Train as you fight, Fight as you train. I dont have safe queens, or other catorgories like Pangris does. I use what I am gonna use. I maintain my equipment in tip top shape, and make sure it will be the reliable tool in my trunk of tricks when the jokers wanna play.

Only thing I like are spare parts in case of failure.

greg t

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    NOLA area
    the different "categories" of weapons, as it applies here, is much like the different kinds vehicles IMO. some people drive pickup trucks even though they never put anything in the bed; some drive luxury sedans, and still others put their machismo aside and drive mini-vans.

my point is basically "different strokes for different folks". if you only believe in keeping fighting guns, that's fine and all, but don't think you're any better than the guy who only keeps multi-thousand dollar over/unders.

ALL of us who enjoy the right of firearm ownership are in the same boat, and those in the minority who insist on in-fighting over things like this are just going to tip that boat over. we all need to be able to appreciate each other's taste in firearms.

right now, i own nothing but fighting guns, but i certainly hope to own heirloom-quality pieces in the future and can certainly appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into building a competition piece.

Top Bottom