What Are You Using For The "Primitve" Season?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huckleberry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    River Ridge, LA
    I hunt Louisiana Area 1, with a 12 November opening day for the "primitive" weapons season. I know the season is already open for you guys hunting some other areas.

There are ten guys in our club, eight will be using muzzle loaders and two will be using 45-70 single shots. I'll be sitting in a box overlooking a food plot with either my .45 caliber Renegade or .50 TC Omega X7 (haven't decided which one yet).

So, what do you use during the primitive season?

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Personally, i dont own a primitive, but i use a 50 cal rem bolt action. personally, i think it should be strictly side lock muzzle loaders without optics.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    im using an h&r .444 malin with leupold 3-9x50 shooting 265g hornady leverevolution. haven't got a kill with it yet so hopefully i get to lay one down with it this year. ive still got a thompson center black diamond camo with a simmons 3-9x50 in the safe but i haven't even taken it out since i got the 444. but i have killed a few deer with that one shooting the 245g sabboted bullets can't remember off hand the exact bullet.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Not to hijack your thread, but I have a question in regards to "primitive" season. You can use a large number of different metailic cartriges out of single shot rifles, can you use a single shot shotgun with buck or slug?

gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    no there is a list on the wildlife and fisheries page for the approved firearms. http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/hunting/primitive-firearms-louisiana-seasons
    Special license and primitive firearms specifications apply only to the special , WMA, national forest and preserves and federal refuge seasons. Still hunt only. See page 7 for specific hunting area dates. Specific WMAs will also be open. Check WMA schedule for specific details. A primitive firearms license is required for resident hunters between the ages of 16 and 59 inclusive and non resident 16 years of age and older. Either-sex deer may be taken in all deer hunting areas EXCEPT Area 5 and as specified on public areas. It is unlawful to carry a gun, other than a primitive firearm, including those powered by air or other means, while hunting during the special primitive firearm segment. EXCEPT it is lawful to carry a .22 caliber rimfire pistol loaded with #12 shot (ratshot only). Legal Primitive Firearms for Special Primitive Firearms Season include:
    1. Rifles or pistols, .44 caliber minimum, or shotguns 10 gauge or smaller, all of which must load exclusively from the muzzle or cap and ball cylinder, use black powder or approved substitute only, take ball or bullet projectile only, including saboted bullets, including primitive firearms known as “in line” primitive firearms, and
    2. Single shot, breech loading rifles, .38 caliber or larger of a kind or type manufactured prior to 1900 and replicas, reproductions or reintroductions of that type rifle having an exposed hammer that use metallic cartridges loaded either with black powder or modern smokeless powder. All of the above may be fitted with magnified scopes.

Last edited:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Ok. I was about to say... sign me up! Hoping to have a kit done by this year's season. Remember going with my dad and firing his. About blew my arm off because the bottom fell out of the gauge he used to measure the powder and he wasn't sure exactly how much was in there.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    There is a bill in the house to allow .35 caliber centerfire rifles during primitive weapon's season. If it becomes legal, I may need a T-C in 35 Whelen.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Unless it specifically allows the TC, you will have to buy a handi rifle Dan.

The damn bill is so vague that it may allow a Ruger No. 1. I think we will need to see what happens with the DWLF's regs.

The handi-rifle route ain't happening here.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Could I hunt with one of these?

full-view%20martini-henry%201878.jpg

top%20of%20receiver%2002.jpg

I'd sure love to have the opportunity to use her.

Huckleberry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    River Ridge, LA
    Just send your proposal to WL&F with a large money order my-rifle, and they will add it to the approved list. ;) :D

That a good looking Martini. Is it .303, .450, or what?

Last edited:

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    The Martini-Henry is chambered in .577/450. It's a honking big round, but it's subsonic, so the noise isn't so bad. That one came out of the Nepal cache.

Top Bottom