What is the best plastic pistol out right now and why?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Glock and M&P. Because they are both proven to work. Boring, I know. There's other, and more expensive plastic pistols out there, but fact is they just don't do anything those two won't. HK's obviously have proven themselves as well and should be on my "list", but there's a lot I just *personally* don't like about them.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I think I'm give the XDM's a try because they feel great in my hand and internet lore says they are OK. Surprisingly for some reason these plastic pistols seem to hold their value pretty well (apparently glocks appreciate after being owned by members of BS).

HK's obviously have proven themselves as well and should be on my "list", but there's a lot I just *personally* don't like about them.

Is it because you don't want to be turned into a snob? :mamoru:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Seriously? Why do you ask?

Anyone that you happen to have when you need it is the best. They're tools. The best hammer to have is the one you happen to be holding in your hand when you need it.

The point I'm making here is this. I have a friend who's a carpenter. You could give me all his tools and give him the cheapest one's out there that work. I promise you his finished work would be MUCH better than anything I could do. The person holding the handgun is far more important than the actual tool in your hand. As long as it works.

Dave

Last edited:

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Seriously? Why do you ask?

Anyone that you happen to have when you need it is the best. They're tools. The best hammer to have is the one you happen to be holding in your hand when you need it.

The point I'm making here is this. I have a friend who's a carpenter. You could give me all his tools and give him the cheapest one's out there that work. I promise you his finished work would be MUCH better than anything I could do. The person holding the handgun is far more important than the actual tool in your hand. As long as it works.

Dave
    Well I've noticed people condem the use of XD's as a SD gun before and I've heard alot of bad stories of 4th gen glocks so I was kinda curious what people thought and why. I'd still rather a nice sturdy hammer then one from dollar general with a loose head. Alot of people here so figured I'd get broad answers but if you have facts it's nice. Yes the user is more important but I'm not going to get a well tuned hi point for my wife either.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I depends on what exactly you want. Im a Glock Guy. I think they make the best Plastic 9mm. If I wanted a .40cal i'd get an M&P. The HK stuff is very nice im just not wild about the cost and lack of support gear. The XD line contains some very dubious parts and has extra controls like grip and thumb safeties that I'd choose to avoid. If I was looking for a 9mm I'd get a Glock 19. I guess that was predictable.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    For the money XDM. It has a match grade barrel and the ergonomics of the gun is more in line with a 1911 than a Glock. I also like the balance of the pistol. I just bought a XDM 45 5.25 and really like it. It's extremly simple to break down, clean, and reassemble.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Gen3 Glock 19/17. Most proven and reliable plastic gun out there. M&Ps are a second IMO, xds are suspect because of Springfield. HKs... Well they don't shoot the bullet any faster and are expensive and snobby :)

Glocks are simple, reliable, accurate, robust, and proven. Between the glock and M&P, pick what you shoot best. ImO

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Are the extra extra safety features the only reason most people avoid the xd's? I kinda got out of the plastic gun loop when the XD came out but I seem to remember alot of people raved about them but it seems alot more drivin to the M&P now. Kinda leaning tward glock 19 even though last time I sipped the glock coolaid someone left out the sugar or something because it just didn't feel right. I got to shoot a gen 4 the other day and must say it felt like a nice improvment in my hand at least. I've always liked the feel of the XDM and and NO exp with M&P at all I'm going to rent a M&P this coming weekend at range to test the waters.

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    I like both my G19's and HK45C's. They both shoot equally well and are good pieces. If you wanna give 'em a go let me know. Gonna be out of pocket for two weeks starting next week though. I've gotta commission a substation in the beautiful, metropolis of Guymon, OK. I can't comment on the M&P and XD as I haven't really shot them all that much to be familiar with them.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    For the money XDM. It has a match grade barrel and the ergonomics of the gun is more in line with a 1911 than a Glock. I also like the balance of the pistol. I just bought a XDM 45 5.25 and really like it. It's extremly simple to break down, clean, and reassemble.

I wouldn't get caught up in all of the "match barrel hype". The only other BIG difference is the "Match Barrel" in the XDm vs the XD is that the XD has the polygonal rifling bbl and the new XDm has an enfield rifling bbl. With that said, it mainly means that you can now shoot lead rounds with no issues.

And as far as "match" goes, that just means that the bore and chamber have been made to tighter tolerances and hammer forged. You can get this same thing if you have a regular XD, by sending your gun to the Springfield custom shop.

But at the end of the day, the gun is more accurate than you are...

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    But at the end of the day, the gun is more accurate than you are...

This is the case with MOST of the so-called "PLASTIC GUNS" I don't care if it's the XD, XDm, Glock, M&P, H&K what counts is how accustom are YOU to the weapon! How many rounds you have fired and your comfort zone. You can have the best of the best, "PLASTIC" or Light weight metal or heavy steel, if you don't practice and know your weapon, YOU will not be very consistant with ANY OF THEM!

As we all know the ONLY correct answer to this question is "TRIGGER TIME" and being proficent with the weapon of your choice!

PERIOD!

KT

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    XD, M&P and Glocks are all worthy plastic pistols and are dependable.

Every time you hear someone say something bad about one of them it's b/c they own the opposite.

Just go to a local gun store and/or range and get your hands on them. Shoot them if possible.

TAKE NOTES during that time on what you like and don't like etc. Then make your OWN decision.

This topic will be driven into the ground by the same thing that all the other 500 similar topics have in the past.

If it's between these 3 Gun makers - PERSONAL PREFERENCE is the name of the game.

Last edited:

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    A lot of people talk about the grip safety of the XD, but I have seen a few torture tests on the XD and it held its' own just as well as the Glocks. If you like the ergonomics of the XD, don't toss it out just because of the grip safety. Some people don't like the grip angle of the Glocks and are uncomfortable shooting them so they don't go to the range as often and may carry them as often. If you aren't proficient with it or don't carry it what good is it to you?

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    I am not trying to call either of you out, but this info is incorrect.

I The XD line contains some very dubious parts and has extra controls like grip and thumb safeties that I'd choose to avoid.

Extra controls? You must also think the 1911 has dubious extra controls. And the thumb safety is not a very common option on the XD line, so unless he specifically looks to purchase one with this feature, I doubt it is even relevant. I have only seen one with this feature.

I wouldn't get caught up in all of the "match barrel hype". The only other BIG difference is the "Match Barrel" in the XDm vs the XD is that the XD has the polygonal rifling bbl and the new XDm has an enfield rifling bbl. With that said, it mainly means that you can now shoot lead rounds with no issues.

The XD and XDm both use land and groove, also known as enfield rifling, not polygonal.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I currently carry an M&P9c, I liked the Glocks too but they didn't like me. My XDM 5.25 feels good but its not as accurate as they claim. My M&P .45 is my best shooting and most accurate plastic gun. My personal opinion as a recommendation would be an M&P with an Apex trigger kit.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I shoot a Glock in competition and carry an M&P every day.

Between the two, it's a matter of circumstances. I don't like the feel of the .45 Glocks, so I went with the M&P. I know where VG is coming from in regards to the .40 as well. Most people agree the M&P is more ergonomically pleasing and has the capacity to have the better trigger-- although it comes out of the box with the worst one of the striker fired lot. There are a few problems that plagued older (and allegedly, to a lesser degree, even newer) M&Ps that Glocks never experienced. The Gen 4 Glocks have had some issues, but many have been solved and I'm confident the rest will be worked out in short order. Both companies have excellent customer service. The Glock takes some focused effort to really get the hang of the trigger and the grip angle, but the M&P is a much bigger PITA to detail strip and work on.

I'm forever on the fence about XDs as a hard use pistol. I've never seen one (in factory configuration) break in person, but I've heard the reports and seen the supporting pictures. Indeed, they do rust-- believe it. They've always felt a little hokey to me-- a toy amongst tools, if you will. I dislike the random grip safety, I dislike the loaded chamber indication pin, and I really dislike the height of the bore in relation to the grip. Something about the odd slide profile makes me uneasy as well. But I was very impressed with the feel of the 5.25, to the point where it actually shocked the Heck out of me that it was an XD. Of "the big 3", it's also the one with which I have the least experience-- so perhaps it's just unfamiliarity with the platform.

I respect the HKs and recognize that they are good weapons. The LEM trigger is impressive-- for what it is. Just not my particular cup of tea, especially not with soooooo many rounds down range out of something with a plunger and striker.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I am not trying to call either of you out, but this info is incorrect.

Extra controls? You must also think the 1911 has dubious extra controls. And the thumb safety is not a very common option on the XD line, so unless he specifically looks to purchase one with this feature, I doubt it is even relevant.

No the 1911 is a traditional Single Action design. I own/have owned some of the finest 1911s in the world. I love the 1911. It needs the controls it has. The XD does not. The fact that the slide wont function with the grip safety not activated, the fact that key internal components are made of Pot Metal, and the fact it uses a Two Piece Barrel are all deal breakers for me. I had one when it was the HS200 and it cost $250. It was the best $250 pistol in the world. Unfortunately it cost more than that now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sollidus_
    Top Bottom