What is the best plastic pistol out right now and why?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    My only issues with the XD line are the grip safety and slide stop placement. I owned XDs and an XDm for years, so this is first hand experience. My XDm was 100% reliable and a great shooter. My XD-40 had the slide stop break @ 2000rds and while it didn't shut down the pistol completely, it did cause it to lock back the slide every couple rounds. I had previously had issues with my thumbs forward grip causing the slide stop to become randomly engaged (maybe once every 40-50rds), and eventually it just broke while shooting. The "solution" I was always told was "change your grip". No thanks.

My issue with the grip safety came about after taking my first class (Louis Awerbuck) with the XDm. Standard full-extension perfect world "range" shooting...no issues. However, when we started doing close-up, straight out of the holster, Count 2 shooting (ie typical self defense type shooting) I had several instances of the grip safety not engaging. It was eye-opening, and after the class I immediately started looking into a replacement. I eventually settled on the M&P and got rid of my XDs.

While some people will write those off minor issues or user error, I don't **** around when it comes to guns I'm trusting my life to. And the XD didn't offer me any advantages to make up for its shortcomings.

So then I'm all in with the M&P. I bought in early, and they did have some growing pains. A couple broken followers, a couple striker updates (mine never broke, but it was a known issue), and a couple dead triggers with the Apex kit (also possible with the factory trigger, but more likely with the Apex). These issues have long since been fixed by S&W, and the current generation M&P's are rock solid, as were mine after making all of the updates.

BUT...after spending some more time with a G19 and performing a grip reduction on it, I have found carry gun Nirvana and switched to Glocks. I simply shoot them more accurately, and more importantly at higher speed than any other gun I've worked with. Combined with unquestionable reliability, I couldn't ask for anything more out of a defensive handgun.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    The M&Ps in. 40 and. 45 are far superior to any of the similar Glock offerings. The. 40 was designed to be a .40. The midsize .45 is a homerun. In 9mm though the Glocks are tough to beat.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    I've got a couple of glocks, an XD 40, an HK 40, and shot an XDM and an M&P in 9mm.
    I have to say IMO the glock wins for me. The HK has too many parts, the XD's are uncomfortable, and the M&P trigger is not my favorite. I like how user friendly it is to tinker with the glock and taking it down to the bare frame is a snap.
    Add that to the great accuracy (All these pistols are more accurate than me, just saying it Is accurate lol) and durability, the glock is my choice. The only other pistol I'll own again is a 1911 (cause let's face it, they're the sexiest pistols ever made).

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    having owned and shot quiet extensively an XD i can tell you that i loved it.. the trigger was great and easy to shoot.. the M&P i have now i prefer more, with the exception of the trigger... i like the fact that my M&P doesn't have any safety, right handed mag release only, and has a fourteen round mag.. certainly less parts = less that can break or get hung up on clothing/material/bags/etc... Glock is ok, just never shot one and i don't like the way they look...

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    having owned and shot quiet extensively an XD i can tell you that i loved it.. the trigger was great and easy to shoot.. the M&P i have now i prefer more, with the exception of the trigger... i like the fact that my M&P doesn't have any safety, right handed mag release only, and has a fourteen round mag.. certainly less parts = less that can break or get hung up on clothing/material/bags/etc... Glock is ok, just never shot one and i don't like the way they look...

They're kinda like a chunky girlfriend. You don't date them for their looks, if you know what I mean :)

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I just don't understand how HK comtinues to get slammed for lack of support. I have the direct extension to both the head armorer and customer service rep. I get them almost everytime I call, and when I don't, they return my call in quick time.

People love to claim that it's hard to get parts, but I have yet to NEED any repair parts, which is what I think counts the most. If you look at the agencies that have claimed to have issues with support, there may be more than meets the eye.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    HK P30? I have one and it with out a doubt the best fitting pistol that i have ever held. However, I also carry a glock 27 that I love. Not the most ergonomical but i can not argue with the level of accuracy it has displayed for me, especially at "defensive" distances. Not sure how i would compare the HK to the Glock as far as durability and endurance. I just got the HK only 95 rounds into it. But the glock has never failed. Ill probably baby my HK, considering the cost of the item, but still use it accordingly. The glock will continue to be put through layers of hell.

305777_10150296583091891_640896890_8294800_2038873291_n.jpg

265088_10150219344651891_640896890_7599463_7557385_n.jpg

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    apparently glocks appreciate after being owned by members of BS.

:rofl: Good stuff right there.

IMO, Glock has to be the overall best pistol out there. Price, Reliability, Company, Parts Interchange, Aftermarket Support, Caliber Selection, Available Configurations.....

Glock has it all.

I tend to like the XDs better as they are more comfortable to me though.

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    HK P30? I have one and it with out a doubt the best fitting pistol that i have ever held. However, I also carry a glock 27 that I love. Not the most ergonomical but i can not argue with the level of accuracy it has displayed for me, especially at "defensive" distances. Not sure how i would compare the HK to the Glock as far as durability and endurance. I just got the HK only 95 rounds into it. But the glock has never failed. Ill probably baby my HK, considering the cost of the item, but still use it accordingly. The glock will continue to be put through layers of hell.

Don't worry about having to baby the HK. It doesn't need it.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Best?

I this order, imo, it's...Glock, then Glock, then Glock. :)

But that would depend on how you define "best".

My reasoning as "best" relates to absolute reliability (or as reliable as any machine can be), the ability to customize, alter, or repair pretty much with a Brownell's catalog and a punch on the hood of your car anywhere in the world (okay, having a Dremel tool and some skill with same is a good thing if you want grip mods but that applies to ALL the plastos imo, including those with interchangeable backstraps) , and the availability of aftermarket parts.

No one else even comes close on those three criteria. While I'll admit that the M&P has some similarities and is "coming on strong" in marketshare, it's not "there" yet with regards to the criteria I mentioned. And certainly not globally so.

Now if you had asked about "best" with metal frames...but that is for another thread. :)

Just my biased .02, but that's what you asked for I think.

Last edited:

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I just don't understand how HK comtinues to get slammed for lack of support. I have the direct extension to both the head armorer and customer service rep. I get them almost everytime I call, and when I don't, they return my call in quick time.

People love to claim that it's hard to get parts, but I have yet to NEED any repair parts, which is what I think counts the most..

Odd. I've never felt the need to have Gaston's number. Or ever had a reason to call him/them.

Hmmmmmm.

:)

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    I am not trying to call either of you out, but this info is incorrect.

Extra controls? You must also think the 1911 has dubious extra controls. And the thumb safety is not a very common option on the XD line, so unless he specifically looks to purchase one with this feature, I doubt it is even relevant. I have only seen one with this feature.

The XD and XDm both use land and groove, also known as enfield rifling, not polygonal.

Hate to burst your bubble, but I have 2 XD's at my house now with poly bbls that came from the factory like that. Also have the owners manual stating what I just said and to NOT fire lead rounds through them unless I swap out the bbl.

How many XD's do you have and what kind?

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Confuse who? Not a single person in this thread mentioned anything regarding HK parts availability or support, let alone "slammed" them. HK owners a tad overly defensive? :rofl:

A bit, I think. I said there were too many parts in the HK's though. You ever seen the expanded diagrams? There's a **** Ton of little tiny parts. Enough to make me say "uh... I don't want this thing anymore.."
    They're sweet pistols but I like simple.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    never miss at 200 yards
    Top Bottom