What is the best plastic pistol out right now and why?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I'm liking the way this thread is headed!

5law83g9hzcipg7zcdcd.jpg
    HK.jpg

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Maybe they will be in the future but right now we have to look at sample size and there just aren't enough P30s out there to know. There are also some other metrics that hurt the P30 for instance; find a Retention Holster for a P30 with a light. It may not matter to you npbut it does to some. Along the same lines I have found Glock 19 magazines and parts all over the Globe. I think the P30 is neat. I prefer the P2000. If there was ever a Striker Fired P30L I would take a long look, but, the P30 isn't ready for a title shot yet.

ahh you win! looks like ill have to get a G19 too.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    H&K, GLOCK, M&P, XDM, whatever... They're all reliable and reasonable accurate. The person using them is far more important than any of the differences between them.

Dave

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Defensive??? C'mon, bud... you have me confused with someone who gives a **** about all of this.

Oh, wait... that's right... you used to be a Serbo-Croat Special guy, didn't you???:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I quoted you, but was referring to the guy who went on the tirade you had quoted. ;)

Yes, my first guns were XDs. It's what the guy at the gunstore sold me when I had no idea what I wanted. Through further research, advice and training, I decided to move on from them. I have nothing to be ashamed of, though you should be ashamed of yourself for insulting folks based on their firearms purchases. Instead, focus on the positive strides I've made in my firearms skills and decisions. We're all on the same team here, Steve.

Man, I actually got douche chills typing that. I bet I had you going though. :rofl:

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Well, if you're basing your decision on low parts count, you're pretty well stuck with Glock. The HKs have about the same number of parts as a P-series Sig, less parts than most other DA/SA bottom feeders, and don't even get NEAR a DA revolver. You'll get the vapors... ;)

Lol I believe you. And I like my uspc, it shoots like a dream and I honestly prefer hammers over strikers. And don't get me wrong, in the 3k or so rounds I've fired through it, I've never had a problem that I remember. The sheer number of tiny moving pieces does turn me off to use it as a carry gun though. So just for simple elegance, I choose the glock as best. Don't take that as an HK bash, I spent 2 hours with my dad (his first handgun buy) and ended up recommending the HK45 for him.

Reason: he's got large hands and it fit him well, he won't clean it much, he likes the hammer/safety/decocker, it's German and he drives Beemers so he automatically trusted it (lol), and he can afford it.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Speed,

Did they actually also misspell accuracy, in addition to the more obvious...um...compromise?

Hilarious.

Or was the copy written by Astro Jetson? (think about it).

:)

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    No bu seriously I'm going to range this weekend and hope the gen 4 G19 feels better then the old g17 I tried shooting with my friends for awile. If I just don't care for how it feels I'll look into M&P then XD as owning a HK seems to make you post too many pictures :rofl:

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Y'all aren't gonna like this; BUT, I have a bunch of GLOCKS, Colts, Walthers, a Kimber, and a stack of other pieces.

The only ones which have NEVER malfunctioned are my old Python and a "cheap" Taurus Millenium Pro PT-145.

leVieux

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Move it to a usable metric. Failures per 1000 rounds maybe.

I don't know how anyone can dispute the G19s supremacy.

And HKs... They don't shoot the bullet any faster than a glock. Caveman :) pangris..... I knew I'd get to use that. :)

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Just because others may believe one plastic pistol is "the best" doesn't mean it's the best FOR YOU.

That would be whichever one you feel the most comfortable with- so try them all and pick a winner!:cool:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Just because others may believe one plastic pistol is "the best" doesn't mean it's the best FOR YOU.

That would be whichever one you feel the most comfortable with- so try them all and pick a winner!:cool:

You are absolutely correct. There's so many different models of Glock, you should really try them all before deciding on which one to buy.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    You are absolutely correct. There's so many different models of Glock, you should really try them all before deciding on which one to buy.

I wasn't gonna go there, but since you did......That narrows it down to the 21, 21SF, 30, 3OSF, or the 36- because of the fact that any pistol caliber other than a .45 ACP is garbage. :hi5:

:dogkeke:

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Maybe they will be in the future but right now we have to look at sample size and there just aren't enough P30s out there to know. There are also some other metrics that hurt the P30 for instance; find a Retention Holster for a P30 with a light. It may not matter to you npbut it does to some. Along the same lines I have found Glock 19 magazines and parts all over the Globe. I think the P30 is neat. I prefer the P2000. If there was ever a Striker Fired P30L I would take a long look, but, the P30 isn't ready for a title shot yet.

I will still pick HK over Glock for reliability and durability. I'd definitely choose the HK for accuracy and ergonomics.

But I concede to your points about global availability of parts and pure volume of the things out there - as well as price.

A question we play when "everyone" is at the shop is ask such questions. A better question would be:

For US use only, choose a pistol.
    For North America use only, choose a pistol.
    For the EU use only, choose a pistol.
    For Africa use only...

The group consists of persons with your background, FBI HRT, FAM, local SWAT cops with various backgrounds and engineer-shooters.

The only large diversity is the US-only choice which is where HK is dominant. There are a large number who still choose HK for exclusive EU use but the rest is ALL Glock - evenly split between the 19 and 17.

Oh HK has a project, it's rumored, called internally the P46 that is striker fired. I imagine that the new Walther PPQ is pretty much what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    If HK builds a striker fired pistol I hope they offer it with a LEM Light trigger and a normal magazine release.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Based on what I know about HK pistols, most of which comes from Wilcox, there won't be a Sriker Fired HK Auto until a .mil or large European Police Contract demands one. Unlike S&W, Glock, or SiG, HK is not beholden to the US LE market. They have very little market share here and they are ok with that. For Cops in the US your stuck with the P2000 and USP. Safariland doesn't do much for the P30 and as of right now Safariland makes the only credible retention holsters.

For me and my personal choice im just to heavily invested in 9mm Glocks and their support gear. The P30 is a better built pistol. There isn't a doubt. The P2000 is also pretty nice but neither performs better enough for me to consider a switch.

Top Bottom