What is the best plastic pistol out right now and why?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    my choice is definitely xdm I have seen anywhere between 3000-5000 rounds through them with absolutely no part failures or replacements, very few jams and they are just as accurate as day one. I have even seen a xd shoot under water, I am sold 100% on the capabilities of the xd/xdm. I just can't wait to get my hands on one of the new xdm 40 compacts. For the record my experience has been only with the xd 40/45 and the xdm 40.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    HKs having too many parts is not a real concern. I'd say Germans have that little "engineering" thing down.

Offer "Vince" Shlomi and I concur! :thumbsup:

1262170427537.jpg

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Just slather it up with Slip 2000 and shoot a pistol class, around 1500 with russian ammo and you'll have some brownish white snot here and there.

VG, I see no shortage of holsters and mags. The sights aren't as plentiful as the Glock offerings, but thats just being spoiled. There are several to choose from.

Well that's on my to-do list.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I own or have owned them all and for me, HK with a LEM hands down (hows that for predictable) and the G19 is a very close second.

As others have noted, any of them will work.

I don't like XD's at all for the reasons VG mentioned.

I know guys that have forgotten more than I will ever know who prefer the Glock or M&P.

That said if they were willing to seriously explore the HK and pay the freight, I think they would go that direction.

You see it like I see it. H&K then all of the rest with Glock leading the others (based on past not present pistols) and the M&P either ahead or damned near equal, depending on who u ask.

I prefer the GLOCK 17 to the 19 but the LEM trigger - and I like the "Todd Green" setup - heavy trigger return spring, light firing pin block spring and use the Double Action hammer spring. This is the "Hybrid LEM" with the heavy Trigger Return Spring.

I just wish I made 50% more money while working 25% less. That way I could indulge - uh, I mean "invest" in HK USA. :sheepish grin:

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I have the contact info at HK because I sent my first USP to get the hybrid trigger done, but have since bought quite a few little extras, extended floor plates, mags, slim slide releases, etc.

The reason HK doesn't have a big aftermarket support group is because......

...... wait for it

....they don't need anyone's help to perform! :p

Now I will admit, I think the V1 USP, V3 P-series triggers are far too heavy, but I also know people who love them. I personally love the LEM and hybrids

I just don't like glock because it's uncomfortable for me to hold a gun sideways

Last edited:

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    HKs having too many parts is not a real concern. I'd say Germans have that little "engineering" thing down.

Indisputably had it down from '39-'45, too. Got their arses handed to them, too.

Tiger
    Mark V
    BF 109
    ME 262
    V-1
    V-2
    Sturmgewehr 44
    88mm flak
    Panzerfaust

Lesson = KISS

Last edited:

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    HK sights? Heinie though I wish Trijicon would offer their superb "HD" sights for the P30 and HK45. Heinie sights are a b1ch to install but they work well - though not as nice as a U-notch rear sight (for MY eyes).

Holsters? Kydex isn't an issue but leather somewhat limited.

Aftermarket Parts? Don't need 'em. I wish to keep parts that are thoroughly tested in a gun - and that goes for Glocks, too. So no titanium strikers and 1/8 lb trigger pulls for me.

I am quietly obtaining data on springs and internal parts for both HK and Glock and from what I've seen this far I'm feeling HK over Glock but I'd not gripe if a GLOCK 17 was my only option: install NY1 with 4.5 lb connector, Trijicon HD sights, Vickers extended slide stop and a Grip Force Adapter and I'd be golden.

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    HK sights? Heinie though I wish Trijicon would offer their superb "HD" sights for the P30 and HK45. Heinie sights are a b1ch to install but they work well - though not as nice as a U-notch rear sight (for MY eyes).

How are the rear Heinie sights? I've seen some past pictures of them installed, but I never really sold myself on them. The only reason is the absence of any "catch" for one-handed manipulation. I've used the Meprolight Tru-Dot on my HK45C for this reason.

mepro.jpg

mepro02.jpg

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area

Holsters? Kydex isn't an issue but leather somewhat limited.

Aftermarket Parts? Don't need 'em. I wish to keep parts that are thoroughly tested in a gun - and that goes for Glocks, too. So no titanium strikers and 1/8 lb trigger pulls for me.

I am quietly obtaining data on springs and internal parts for both HK and Glock and from what I've seen this far I'm feeling HK over Glock but I'd not gripe if a GLOCK 17 was my only option: install NY1 with 4.5 lb connector, Trijicon HD sights, Vickers extended slide stop and a Grip Force Adapter and I'd be golden.

Ill be getting the P2000 serpa holster and molle adapter for a chest rig locally for my P30. I know, I know that i could order a p30 model holster. But the p2000 holster will fit perfectly/custom after a minimal amount of sanding inside. Not to mention i get a discount!

as far as trigger pull/mods ill be converting my V2 to a V1 with these parts:
    http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-reference-library/140436-definitive-p30-p30l-lem-trigger-chart.html

$37.84 shipped from hkparts.net, thats about what i have in my glock for springs, connector, and polish job.

Ill probably go with mepro's on the night sights. Does anyone know if Truglo makes a TFO sight set for this?

I dont mind spending a few $$$ on the HK since i got it for a steal! :redfinger:

Last edited:

Cajun_arShooter

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Metairie, SeLa
    Going back to the original question "Best plastic pistol" IMO the best is the one that suits YOU better, I like H&K and Glock i would say either one and yes i do own both as do many other notorious members here. Nothing against the other ones out the just not my cup of tea, went to Puglias a couple of weeks ago with intentions of maybe buying a S&W m&p 9mm and as soon as I held it I knew it was just not for me ,same goes for the American branded Croat that I will leave unnamed.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    The OP asked for the best plastic gun, not peoples fav plastic guns. My fav plastic gun is the VP70. The best plzstic gun is the Glock 19. Given the metric of carryability, reliability, capacity, effectiveness, and durability show me a pistol thats better than the Glock 19 in 3 of the 5.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Maybe they will be in the future but right now we have to look at sample size and there just aren't enough P30s out there to know. There are also some other metrics that hurt the P30 for instance; find a Retention Holster for a P30 with a light. It may not matter to you npbut it does to some. Along the same lines I have found Glock 19 magazines and parts all over the Globe. I think the P30 is neat. I prefer the P2000. If there was ever a Striker Fired P30L I would take a long look, but, the P30 isn't ready for a title shot yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    never miss at 200 yards
    Top Bottom