What's a good EDC light?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    A SureFire L2 Digital Lumamax, that I got lightly used on the cheap. Older design, but never quits. A bit large for EDC, admittedly-- looking at Fenix for something more portable.

I also sported a Streamlight Polytac LED-- pretty damn decent light on the cheap, and bright as all get out. It eats batteries, though.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Fenix PD20 in my pocket for everyday use, Fenix PD30 for "serious" use. I've beaten the crap out of both for 3 or 4 years now and they're still going strong.

I like flashlights...

this. My PD30 has been my duty flashlight for at least 3 years. It's been through everything. My backup belt light for work is a 6P, but it needs a new lamp (korean lamps don't last!) and I hate the switch on it compared to a real "clicky" switch.

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    397995_166151836821187_100002791150224_172278_1678899441_n.jpg

Got my Surefire E1B today. Love it. So small, carries well, and such a bright beam. Solid light all around.

sevenpt62

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    hammond, la
    streamlight microstream very small, easy to carry almost forget its there until i need it. Plenty enough light for anything ive ever needed. Runs on 1 AAA so i can find batteries anywhere

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    LOL.

You can spend less, but you aren't going to beat SureFire's overall durability and/or track record. I have to wonder how you can ask for advice, then make a statement like that...

Whatever. To answer your question... I EDC a SureFire E1B and ARC AAA. In the man-purse/war bag is a SureFire A2 Aviator, ancient SureFire 6P with P60L (LED) module, and lots of extra 123A batteries.

Why SureFire? Because, due to the amount of engineering that goes into them (and which constitutes a good portion of the higher price you pay for one), they are as bullet-proof an accessory that anyone could ask for. That afore-mentioned 6P was purchased in 1987, and used hard up until I got the Aviator in 2004. And until I swapped out the module (lamp assembly) from the original P60 hot-wire to a P60L LED, in 2007, it still had all of its original components. That's 20 years of solid, steady use with no failure. And by steady use, I mean almost daily. I lost count of how many times I dropped that sucker, on concrete, while scoring targets at night. I still use it today, although with a new lamp assembly and lens. The original lens was getting a bit hazy...

Actually, I was just about to conclude that some of these new brands (Fenix, in particular) had finally got up to the level of quality shown by SureFire... and then, on another forum with a much larger constituent base, this exact question was posed... and suddenly I saw numerous complaints about this Fenix or that puking at an inopportune time.

I have no intention of getting into a urination competition over this. I don't KNOW that the Fenix is inferior. I DO know that it damn sure cannot be better than SureFire, from a quality and durability standpoint. Furthermore, it matters not one iota to me what anyone else uses/likes. I stay with SureFire because experience has shown me that they make the best product in this particular niche. I don't mind paying extra for the comfort of knowing my primary flashlights are very unlikely to let me down, at any time.

That said... if I couldn't have SureFire, I'd get a Fenix...primarily because of a few folks here who have good things to say about them, and don't give opinions that have little or no grounding in experience. That last is not meant to throw rocks at anyone in particular... but there it is.

I was repeating what I'd heard, so I wonder now if there is any credence to some of the claims that this statement was based on; there mustn't be any. Something makes me think that someone gave an opinion rather than honesty, so basing any though or opinion was an error. I see the inconsistency and hypocrisy of that statement. You just sold me on a Surefire. :D. I thank you but my wallet does not.

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    i have a fenix tk15 that i used to carry in a leather holster on belt, but it got old and bulky. Its awesome for a bag or a MOLLE vest. I know carry a streamlight PT1L on my back pocket. awesome light.

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    A SureFire L2 Digital Lumamax, that I got lightly used on the cheap. Older design, but never quits.
    I have one of those too . I had to send it back to SF to be repaired . It would kill a set of batteries in about a week with no use . It's a lot better , but it seems to get really hot during use . Maybe that's normal for that light . I like the size though .

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I dont plan on owning any more sure fire lights any time soon. Apparently they support the National Defense Authorization Act.

"One provision would authorize the military to indefinitely detain without charge people suspected of involvement with terrorism, including United States citizens apprehended on American soil. Due process would be a thing of the past."

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/...-Supporter-to-Sen-Rob-Portman?via=blog_683161

dos gris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    The Daily Kos is your source? You're upset with Surefire and you support the Daily effing Kos?

zero_one

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 23, 2009
    Abita Springs
    LOL.

You can spend less, but you aren't going to beat SureFire's overall durability and/or track record. I have to wonder how you can ask for advice, then make a statement like that...

Whatever. To answer your question... I EDC a SureFire E1B and ARC AAA. In the man-purse/war bag is a SureFire A2 Aviator, ancient SureFire 6P with P60L (LED) module, and lots of extra 123A batteries.

Why SureFire? Because, due to the amount of engineering that goes into them (and which constitutes a good portion of the higher price you pay for one), they are as bullet-proof an accessory that anyone could ask for. That afore-mentioned 6P was purchased in 1987, and used hard up until I got the Aviator in 2004. And until I swapped out the module (lamp assembly) from the original P60 hot-wire to a P60L LED, in 2007, it still had all of its original components. That's 20 years of solid, steady use with no failure. And by steady use, I mean almost daily. I lost count of how many times I dropped that sucker, on concrete, while scoring targets at night. I still use it today, although with a new lamp assembly and lens. The original lens was getting a bit hazy...

Actually, I was just about to conclude that some of these new brands (Fenix, in particular) had finally got up to the level of quality shown by SureFire... and then, on another forum with a much larger constituent base, this exact question was posed... and suddenly I saw numerous complaints about this Fenix or that puking at an inopportune time.

I have no intention of getting into a urination competition over this. I don't KNOW that the Fenix is inferior. I DO know that it damn sure cannot be better than SureFire, from a quality and durability standpoint. Furthermore, it matters not one iota to me what anyone else uses/likes. I stay with SureFire because experience has shown me that they make the best product in this particular niche. I don't mind paying extra for the comfort of knowing my primary flashlights are very unlikely to let me down, at any time.

That said... if I couldn't have SureFire, I'd get a Fenix...primarily because of a few folks here who have good things to say about them, and don't give opinions that have little or no grounding in experience. That last is not meant to throw rocks at anyone in particular... but there it is.

+ 1
    I have carried an E2D Defender for about 3 yrs, its nice and worn but not a scratch on the lens/glass (I carry it with my keys and edc blade, wallet etc)
    And i have never had to replace the push tail cap.
    I'm probably going to retire the E2D soon and get the SF P2X Fury.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jrsumrow
    Top Bottom