What's going on here...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Excellent, I know you has so much fun building that now what are you going to do with your time? I will take that one off your hands at no cost to you, so can have all that fun all over again,

Is one required to have all of the normal things you must have in a vessel while in a pirogue or canoe in case you get stopped?

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Excellent, I know you has so much fun building that now what are you going to do with your time? I will take that one off your hands at no cost to you, so can have all that fun all over again,

Is one required to have all of the normal things you must have in a vessel while in a pirogue or canoe in case you get stopped?

I think common sense lead me to keep a life jacket within arms reach in the event I would go overboard. I mean I know how to swim and tread water but why take a chance. I do think by law you have to have a pdf on you at all times. What other "normal" things would you be referring to?

Actually I am considering building a 2nd boat. something that would be a little more steady than this one is. I'll let you know if I decide to sell this one or not. :cool:

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Like a whistle, registration, throwable those type of things. I figured you had a fotation device but it dawned on me seeing that video that some prick would give you the riot act or something and go down the list of mandatory things to have.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Like a whistle, registration, throwable those type of things. I figured you had a fotation device but it dawned on me seeing that video that some prick would give you the riot act or something and go down the list of mandatory things to have.

A registration for a pirogue?! I sure hope not....:squint:

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I see said the blind man I see, I didnt figure you have to carry an anchor and all that but it never crossed my mine till I seen that video, truth be told I have seen anyone but me when out in a pirogue

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I see said the blind man I see, I didnt figure you have to carry an anchor and all that but it never crossed my mine till I seen that video, truth be told I have seen anyone but me when out in a pirogue

The only boat I own is a pirogue. I know, im small timing, but i'm not lying when I tell the ladies I own a boat. :D:D:D:D

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Applied 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of exterior latex and added on a few key parts. May have to revisit the drawing board on some of them. Modified a cheap $10 rod holder to screw into my gunwales. I think it's time to update and replace my fishing gear though. I think alot of it is over 20 years old. :eek3:
    IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

My low budget anchor system. :D

IMG_0766.jpg

Last edited:

lilmoose0

Crack don't smoke it self
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2007
    Thibodaux
    She looks great, I had a smile on my face the whole time I was watching the video.:D

Where is that body of water? Looks peaceful.

Did you put a keel on the bottom? It would help it track straight if you plan to paddle a lot of open water.

I'll share a few things I've learned from my paddeling trips.
    Yes sitting lower will make it more stable, also you might try sitting a little further back in the boat. At about the 2/3 mark. The closer you are to the middle the more the boat will turn opposite the side you paddle making you have to make more correcting strokes. The further back you sit the more strokes you can get on one side. Eventually you might want to learn strokes like the "J" stroke. (google it) It will allow you to paddle only on one side, and after some practice you can pick up some real speed wich comes in handy for longer trips. I've gotten to the point where I can paddle on the right and make the boat turn to the right. Be careful when anchoring off the side, it may make the boat tip to that side. Instead hang the anchor closer to the front 1/3 of the boat. A seat cushion is a must have.:D Get a dry box or bag for your electronics ie cell phone.;)

And most important, enjoy your new addiction.:cool:

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    She looks great, I had a smile on my face the whole time I was watching the video.:D

Where is that body of water? Looks peaceful.

Did you put a keel on the bottom? It would help it track straight if you plan to paddle a lot of open water.

I'll share a few things I've learned from my paddeling trips.
    Yes sitting lower will make it more stable, also you might try sitting a little further back in the boat. At about the 2/3 mark. The closer you are to the middle the more the boat will turn opposite the side you paddle making you have to make more correcting strokes. The further back you sit the more strokes you can get on one side. Eventually you might want to learn strokes like the "J" stroke. (google it) It will allow you to paddle only on one side, and after some practice you can pick up some real speed wich comes in handy for longer trips. I've gotten to the point where I can paddle on the right and make the boat turn to the right. Be careful when anchoring off the side, it may make the boat tip to that side. Instead hang the anchor closer to the front 1/3 of the boat. A seat cushion is a must have.:D Get a dry box or bag for your electronics ie cell phone.;)

And most important, enjoy your new addiction.:cool:

The body of water is a little pond at Burbank Park in Baton Rouge.

As far as the anchor is concerned I"m still trying to figure that out. Once I get in the boat I do not feel comfortable trying to move around in it once in open water so I want everything in hands reach. I want to pull the anchor in the boat once I'm finished with it but if I rig the line to a pulley system off one of the gunwales up front then I won't be able to reach it. I may bite the bullet and buy one of those anchor pulley systems and just set it up off the front of the boat and deal with it there.

I'll try your suggestion on sitting further back of center. When I was center I felt more stable and if I was forward or back of center I was on a narrower section of the boat and felt I might capsize if I blinked the wrong way.

Last edited:

lilmoose0

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2007
    Thibodaux
    The body of water is a little pond at Burbank Park in Baton Rouge.

As far as the anchor is concerned I"m still trying to figure that out. Once I get in the boat I do not feel comfortable trying to move around in it once in open water so I want everything in hands reach. I want to pull the anchor in the boat once I'm finished with it but if I rig the line to a pulley system off one of the gunwales up front then I won't be able to reach it. I may bite the bullet and buy one of those anchor pulley systems and just set it up off the front of the boat and deal with it there.

I'll try your suggestion on sitting further back of center. When I was center I felt more stable and if I was forward or back of center I was on a narrower section of the boat and felt I might capsize if I blinked the wrong way.

You will feel more stable as time goes on. You'll learn to balance from the waste down, you'll know what I'm talking about when you feel it. I'm at a point now where I'm comfortable standing up while shooting a 12 ga. shotgun.:D

I based my plans off of this guys boat. He calls it a Yakoo (Kayak/Canoe).

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...images?q=yakoo&hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLJ_en&sa=N&um=1

Look at the anchor setup on this one (The red one.)
    http://images.google.com/imgres?img...sp=20&hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLJ_en&sa=N&start=20&um=1

I just wanted to make one for when I go duck hunting in the flooded timbers.

lilmoose0

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2007
    Thibodaux
    Also if you notice in your OP and the two links I posted they all have the seat toward the rear. Once you find the sweet spot, you can make a permanate seat.
    Also in the two links I posted, those seats are sold at academy & wal-mart. They can be mounted at the right height with little effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom