Whats is the best....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Saint Martinville/Lafayette
    SCOPE FOR HUNTING? If price wasn't a factor what kind would you buy?

I have a Leupold scope, and two swarovski scopes. If I could only have one of them I would pick the second swarovski scope we bought. It is a 4-12X50. It has the TDS Reticles (the on with the cross hairs and 4 lines underneath the horizontal line) If you set dead on at 200 yards, every 100 yards further you pick it up to the next line. I also find this one brings in alot more light when it is gettting dark, so you can see a little later then the other two.

This kind http://www.adorama.com/catlite.tpl?op=large_image&sku=SIAV412X50TP.JPG
    BUT if I could pick only one scope to use for the rest of my life, it would probably be one like this.... http://www.opticsplanet.net/swarovski-riflescope-ph6-24x50-aluminum-30mm-plex.html

What kind would you guys buy?

Last edited:

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    The lines don't work every 100 yds. They change focal point as you adjust your zoom. You are supposed to aim at a point 200 yards out and adjust the zoom so that the nearest line intersects with your 5 shot pattern at that range. You then mark the zoom ring and scope so that you will line up the marks when you want to shoot 200. Use the next line for 300 and the next for 400 etc.

Swarovski makes some fine optics though.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    US Optics........with S&B or a NSX (Nightforce) close behind. I'd lean more towards the USO for hunting though since I could get the low profile EREK elevation knob which would be less to snag on. I'll have an SN3-1750 on my tactical bolt gun when it gets back from G.A.P. (Lee, there is another USO drooller on BS!)

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I use 3.5-10X Leupold Vari-X III 40mm on my serious hunting rifles (a Jarrett and a McMillan). I do like the new Swarovski AV 3-10X 42mm. I do not like the reticle that CZ mentioned. It is best to have a simple reticle like a plex and learn how to use it. When you needd to make a fast shot, you don't want anything in your scope that may draw your eye away from the right crosshair. I also like the Swarovski Ballistic Turret, at least in concept. I haven't used one yet. The choice of a Leupold when the rifles are clearly of the "spare no expense type" may be strange. However, I find that the 3.5 - 10 x 40 is sufficiently clear to shoot to the end of legal shooting light; is tough enough to stand abuse (and has a great warranty); has positive adjustments; has a very useful power range; and sits low on the rifle (this makes the rifle feel more balanced when you carry it; allows you to acquire your target faster due to more natural head position - important with a moving target-; and is easier to fit in a saddle scabbard. Anything larger than about 42mm will adversely affect your rifle's balance, your head position and your rifle's versitility (hard to pack it on a western horseback hunt.

I have played with and shot untold numbers and brands of scopes on my own and friends' rifles - every big name, high dollar scope out there. I can afford to buy what I want. I find that, for a HUNTING SCOPE, the Leupold fills the bill for me better than just about anything. JMHO

Dan

PS CZ you are looking for too much power for a hunting scope. You should think lower with your variable. 8X is plenty for hunting on the top end. I usually keep my scope set on 5 when on an open field and 3.5 when the shooting may be fast.

Last edited:

CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    I use 3.5-10X Leupold Vari-X III 40mm on my serious hunting rifles (a Jarrett and a McMillan). I do like the new Swarovski AV 3-10X 42mm. I do not like the reticle that CZ mentioned. It is best to have a simple reticle like a plex and learn how to use it. When you needd to make a fast shot, you don't want anything in your scope that may draw your eye away from the right crosshair. I also like the Swarovski Ballistic Turret, at least in concept. I haven't used one yet. The choice of a Leupold when the rifles are clearly of the "spare no expense type" may be strange. However, I find that the 3.5 - 10 x 40 is sufficiently clear to shoot to the end of legal shooting light; is tough enough to stand abuse (and has a great warranty); has positive adjustments; has a very useful power range; and sits low on the rifle (this makes the rifle feel more balanced when you carry it; allows you to acquire your target faster due to more natural head position - important with a moving target-; and is easier to fit in a saddle scabbard. Anything larger than about 42mm will adversely affect your rifle's balance, your head position and your rifle's versitility (hard to pack it on a western horseback hunt.

I have played with and shot untold numbers and brands of scopes on my own and friends' rifles - every big name, high dollar scope out there. I can afford to buy what I want. I find that, for a HUNTING SCOPE, the Leupold fills the bill for me better than just about anything. JMHO

Dan

PS CZ you are looking for too much power for a hunting scope. You should think lower with your variable. 8X is plenty for hunting on the top end. I usually keep my scope set on 5 when on an open field and 3.5 when the shooting may be fast.

The reason I like the reticle and the high power is because on the hunting lease where I hunt, some stands have 300-500 yards shots and I would feel better shooting at those rangest with a higher powered scope. If im goin to those stands I get the 7mag with the scope I mentioned the swarovski 4-12x50. If i want to hunt stands with shorter distances i'll use the 308 with a swarovski 3-10x42 or the 30-06 with a leupold 3-10x42. Swarovski also makes a very durable scope. I dropped my rifle while riding the fourwheeler to the stand (luckily it was unloaded.) I decided not to hunt and go site it in, and it was still dead on. Don't get me wrong leupold makes very good scopes too!

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    SCOPE FOR HUNTING? If price wasn't a factor what kind would you buy?

BUT if I could pick only one scope to use for the rest of my life, it would probably be one like this.... http://www.opticsplanet.net/swarovski-riflescope-ph6-24x50-aluminum-30mm-plex.html

What kind would you guys buy?

I don't have a real problem with a 4 x 12 for a long range deer rifle. I don't even have a problem with a 50 - 56 mm scope for a specialty rifle such as a "beanfield rifle". However, for an all around hunting rifle, I think that the 4 x 12 has a bit more power than optimal and the 50mm objective is too big. I do think that your "one scope to use for the rest of my life" 6-24 x 50mm is way too much for a deer rifle. This is my opinion based upon 38 years of hunting the US, Canada, Mexico and Africa for deer, bear, elk, caribou, moose, mtn. goat, pronghorn, exotics and plains game. You asked what I would buy. I told you two scopes (both of which you own already).

On the subject of shooting at a deer 500 yds away, have you ever killed one that far? Did you hit him where you aimed? Have you ever shot your 7mm on paper to determine where it hits at 200, 300, 400, 500 yds and points in between. It may be as simple as putting the next crosshair on the animal, but generally it is more complex than that. Come out to Palo Alto with your rifle and shoot it a bit at those distances. I bet you will have a few surprises with respect to how much the conditions affect where your bullet will hit. You need to limit your range to the distance that you can put your first round into a 12" circle with certainty from whatever position you will encounter on that long range stand. After all, you are there to kill the animal, not shoot at it.

Dan

CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    The furthest I've killed a deer was 300 yards. BUT I do know that the 7mm CAN make those shots because my dad has killed 2 deer at 500 yards and 1 at 550yrds. It took him 2 or 3 shots becuase he didn't have a range finder, so he didnt know exactly how far they were. He picked up a little after every shot and he killed them. At that distance, it is hard for the deer to know where the bullet is comming from.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Oh, I know the 7 Mag has the horsepower to do it. Making a good hit is the trick. Walking the rounds in like artillery isn't really the best technique. You can use your plex crosshairs as a rangefinder. If you increase the power on your Leupold until the thick part of the plex is on the belly and the crosshair is on the back, the power ring has a scale that tells you the yardage out to 600. What I do is set the power to 5x. That way, if the deer is larger from back to belly than the distance between the upper thick part and the lower thick part of the crosshairs, he is within 300 yds and I don't have to hold over him. It isn't perfect, but it is fast to use and accurate enough.

My fartherst kill on a deer was 322 yds (I did have a range finder).

CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    If he would have had a range finder im sure he can get the deer in one shot, because he knows exactly how much the bullet drops at certain distances. I think its 18" at 500 yards, not exactly sure, but somewhere around there. My dad is also a very good shot. Everytime someone gets a new scope they come to him to sight it in.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Range finders take alot of the guess work out of long range shooting. Now all I need is a wind meter that can tell me what the wind is doing between me and the target (it is not always the same there as it is at the firing point); and I would be set.

Good luck on the rest of your season.

Dan

Top Bottom