whats the best steel for a pocket knife?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frogman

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Denham Springs, LA
    I think powder steel as used by Falkniven in some of their more expensive knives is best. I have it in a pocket knife I carry and one fixed blade knife. It holds an edge very well and is easy to sharpen.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    IMO, the best steel is the steel that you feel is adequate for the task at hand.

S30V, VG-10, and 154CM are just fine and dandy for an EDC blade. My EDC is a well worn Benchmade Griptilian with a 154CM blade.
    Elmax, S35VN, S90V, S110V, M390, Sleipner, CPM-154, CPM-M4, Vanax, CTS-XHP, PD1, and all the other "Super Steels" have their place, but it's not necessary for a letter opener/box cutter.

One day, I will own a Medford Micro Praetorian and a Sniper Bladeworks LPC, but until then, the Griptilian will do. I also EDC a few "pocket knife" fixed blades in O1 & 1095.

Pdeben0045

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2015
    Baton Rouge, louisiana
    Personally carry a Benchmade mini barrage 154cm with an assisted open and it's decent for everyday use but if you want one that's truly universal and easy to sharpen holds a decent edge my vote is on Spyderco h1 it rockwells at 58-59 and will never rust

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Personally carry a Benchmade mini barrage 154cm with an assisted open and it's decent for everyday use but if you want one that's truly universal and easy to sharpen holds a decent edge my vote is on Spyderco h1 it rockwells at 58-59 and will never rust

Benchmades 154 CM is a very good steel. Fwiw, ats 34 is same formula from different steel maker.

I like benchmades. The minibarrage is one of my favorite knives. Not a fan of the grips. They feel cheap to me for some reason. But lately the last couple I've seen had uneven grinds and one even had different angle on one side as the other and a hot spot at the tip. Not cool for the price that they are. But there is no denying their steel and heat treat is on point.

Top Bottom