What's the worst gun advice you were ever given?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    For me it was the ravings of .45 1911 owners and how that's the only gun anyone should ever carry for SD. Not terrible advice, I guess as a 1911 that works will do the job just fine.

In Academy the other day, the guy working the gun counter was showing a guy a P238 (I think). Going on and on about how if he's going to carry with the hammer back, he HAS to have the safety on; otherwise, it's dangerous.

Anyways, how bout you?

BSGA

BSGA
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Southwest,Louisiana
    Two actually. First, which I didn't pay any attention to, and I'm glad I didn't. "Get xyz rifle (about $200) and xyz scope (about $700)." Can't make up for poor acuarracy or marksmanship by spending more money in my opinion.
    Second, "To get started in Highpower, you need to start with a Garand, or an M1A,,period!" Learned that one the hard way. I could have gotten an AR for half the money, spent half as much on accessories, maintained the rifle for half the money, and spent half as much on ammo, and still could have learned easier and shot better scores. There's a reason the top shooters shoot AR's, but being a novice, who was I to question a longtime, (albiet hard-headed and slow to learn) sharpshooter? Can't help but love the old rifles, but they aren't the best ones to learn on,,;)

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    @ a Gun Show in Colorado Springs, CO: "Son, you don't want any of those cheap Chinese AKs, there's a reason why they're going for $200. [Pre-AWB Type 56s, Polytechs, and MAK 90s] AKs in general are pieces of S%$^! What you'd like instead is this nice AWB-compliant AR over here....."

Worse freak'n advice that an old-timer at a gun show ever gave me! -That AR that I bought was the biggest piece of crap ever. Would jam at least once EVERY mag. Still kicking myself to this day. I shoulda-coulda bought 4 Polytechs with 2K worth of ammo for what I paid for on the neutered AR.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Two actually. First, which I didn't pay any attention to, and I'm glad I didn't. "Get xyz rifle (about $200) and xyz scope (about $700)." Can't make up for poor acuarracy or marksmanship by spending more money in my opinion.
    QUOTE]

thats actually not terrible advice. you can get a stevens rifle ($249?) and throw a decent scope and mounts on it and have a servicable rifle that will get the job done. or you could buy a the same inexpensive rifle and a cheap scope and have a pile of un-usable stuff because everytime you shoot it the scope hasn't held zero. there are plenty of inexpensive rifles on the market that will perform satisfactory for hunting, they may not win you any bueaty or shooting competitions but they will shoot accurate enough to hunt game. a crappy scope is a crappy scope.

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    Went to a gun show in Baton Rouge, I was looking at .308 ammo. Guy behind the counter said I need this ammo over here it was military "sniper" ammo. I said how do you know that? He took a cartridge out, flipped it over and showed me the head stamp on it. He said: "see that circle with the crosshair on the bottom, that means it's sniper ammo". I said no it aint you dumb ass it means that it is meets NATO specs! It's just plain old 147 gr machine gun ammo. Then I picked up a round of 5.56 LC and showed hin the same "circle and crosshairs" he flapped about. He just turned red and walked away, so did everyone else hovering around his table. :D

justboozer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Went to a gun show in Baton Rouge, I was looking at .308 ammo. Guy behind the counter said I need this ammo over here it was military "sniper" ammo. I said how do you know that? He took a cartridge out, flipped it over and showed me the head stamp on it. He said: "see that circle with the crosshair on the bottom, that means it's sniper ammo". I said no it aint you dumb ass it means that it is meets NATO specs! It's just plain old 147 gr machine gun ammo. Then I picked up a round of 5.56 LC and showed hin the same "circle and crosshairs" he flapped about. He just turned red and walked away, so did everyone else hovering around his table. :D

...oh, snap.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I wonder what he would have said the scamp marks meant.

BSGA

BSGA
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Southwest,Louisiana
    thats actually not terrible advice. you can get a stevens rifle ($249?) and throw a decent scope and mounts on it and have a servicable rifle that will get the job done. or you could buy a the same inexpensive rifle and a cheap scope and have a pile of un-usable stuff because everytime you shoot it the scope hasn't held zero. there are plenty of inexpensive rifles on the market that will perform satisfactory for hunting, they may not win you any bueaty or shooting competitions but they will shoot accurate enough to hunt game. a crappy scope is a crappy scope.
    Partly true. But 30 years ago they didn't make the Stevens or Savage like they do today. On the flip side, an expensive scope does not a shooter make. And inexpensive scopes are not all crappy. Some are, some aren't. If however you don't have a good base to work from (ie; a decent rifle) you're not coming out of the blocks well to start with. I'll take a good rifle with good iron sights, over a crappy rifle and an expensive scope any day! YMMV,,;)

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    As a matter of fact, I was given it just yesterday.

That I don't need a magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds- or what the guy who told me called "a military-style assault weapon".

Come to think of it, all of you got the same advice.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell

That I don't need a magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds- or what the guy who told me called "a military-style assault weapon".

[/THREAD]

wt24fskffh04z7cldslp.gif

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans

:rockon:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I was told that my firearms are unsafe with 30 round magazines and that I should immediately replace them with 10 round magazines for usage within most regions, and 7 round magazines for other areas. I called ********.

Top Bottom