What's your favorite skeet gun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tfurn30

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    I like my Benelli Super Black Eagle II. Not to long ago I shot a Beretta White Onyx and loved it but
    when I went looking for it I found out its discontinued and in it's place is the silver pigeon sporting I.
    So thats my next buy hopefully.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    The White Onyx and Silver Pigeon are the same specs but different cosmetics...I like the look of the Onyx way better and they are still available if you look around or buy used. Be aware that the Sporting and the Field models of the Silver Pigeons differ in some respects.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    What would be a good over and under just starting

My $.02, FWIW. If I were starting out, I'd get a quality gun that would have some resale value if clays weren't my thing...a used Browning or Beretta would be hard to beat and worth the difference in price between them and a new $600 econo O/U. If new, on a tight budget, maybe a CZ (made by Huglu in Turkey and much improved of the early guns, according to reports).

Case in point. I started out with a $600 Browning Citori, found I loved clays and wanted something with a lower receiver that fit me a little better. Sold the Citori for what I had in it back to the guy I bought it from and purchased a Beretta 686 White Onyx Sporting...couldn't break more birds with a Perazzi that cost five times as much so I had money for lessons, matches and lots of practice, which did help me break more birds :thumbsup:.

Tfurn30

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    The White Onyx and Silver Pigeon are the same specs but different cosmetics...I like the look of the Onyx way better and they are still available if you look around or buy used. Be aware that the Sporting and the Field models of the Silver Pigeons differ in some respects.
    In what respects do they differ out of curiosity?

ultra_mag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Carencro
    The Silver Pigeon I has etching on the reciever. The main difference between the field and sporting model is the width of the rib. Other differences are the stocks.

killerkarl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    My favorite is a Browning Double Automatic that my dad bought back in the 50s when he was getting out of the army. I think they quit making these back in the early 70s.

ultra_mag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Carencro
    I also agree with Bayouslide, the 686 White Onyx sporting is an incredible gun for the money. I've had mine for over 5 years and never had a problem. It has a minimum of 15,000 shells shot through it. I shoot the 692 now, but it costs about twice what the 686 does.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    The Silver Pigeon I has etching on the reciever. The main difference between the field and sporting model is the width of the rib. Other differences are the stocks.

The field models also have that aggravating auto safety. The linkage can be removed, but it's a little nerve wracking on an expensive gun. Also, field models have Mobil chokes and the sporting models have optima bore barrels that use optima chokes. This may make a difference if you already own a gun with either choke pattern.

djdig

F@ck Me Right?
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Thibodaux, La
    The EAA USSG MP310 O/U 12 Gauge has features and shoots better than the $$$$ Browning, Beretta, etc... and people can say what they want I gunsmith for a living. The features on this gun are not even found on ones that cost $1000+. Remington had the Spartan 310 model, this is the same company that made that...same exact gun. The only thing to do is swap the extractor springs with a set of wolf springs if you don't want to wait out the break in period.

I read a post when someone said let me know how it shoots past 10,000+ rounds compared to "X" gun. These barrels are hammer forged and chrome lined, unless you never clean it this gun is a great gun to get into skeet/trap with, minus a 1100 backup.

Hammer Forged Barrels, Machined Steel Receiver & Monoblock, Checkered Walnut Stock & Forends , Double Dip Blueing, Hard
    Chrome Lined Barrels, Ventilated Rib, Cast Off, Auto Selective Ejectors, Auto Tang Safety, Single Selective Trigger, Screw In
    Choke Tubes & Rubber Butt Pad

1378806_686625801350649_2026876706_n.jpg

1012721_686625788017317_43422278_n.jpg

Last edited:

Rooda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Dallas via Bunkie
    Love my A400 Extreme. Bought it for duck hunting but have really taken to sporting clays and 5 stand lately. Probably will be in the market for an O/U before long. Thinking of going the Beretta route but will look around at the used market first.

Tfurn30

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    Everybody takes to sporting clays, it's fun as ****. I've heard this phrase several times since I joined the gun club, "beats the hell outta golf. " lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    I don't have a clay specific gun. Had a Stoeger Condor and Mossberg Silver Reserve for a short minute but I always go back to my Remington 870. I got rid of the O/Us because I didn't like the way they felt but I do like O/U shotguns. Can anyone tell me what the real world difference is between shooting clays with a single barrel (pump) vs a double barrel (O/U)?

Top Bottom