When everything normalizes how much are you going to

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jchebert1979

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Lafayette, La
    When the panic dies down and prices normalize (hopefully), how much are you going to stockpile? I have 2300 rounds of 5.56, 1500 rounds of 308, 1000 rounds of 9mm, 2400 rounds of .22, and 750 rounds of .40 cal. Oh and I have about 10 magazines for each rifle and 4 magazines for each handgun.

This is my stockpile. Each time I find a deal on retail price ammo I get a few hundred rounds to shoot at the range and try not to dip into my reserves. A few of my friends are trying to get between 5 and 10 thousand rounds per caliber. For me that is excessive as I only shoot about once a month or less.

What is a satisfactory stockpile for you guys? I have to admit sometimes I buy rounds that I don't need just because I get them at retail. It's almost a little thrill to find a good price in all this nonsense.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Buy some 5.56, might get a swaging set up and start swaging .224 bullets and coating them. I have been considering a 1050, but I would need a steady supply of brass, powder and primers. I have the bullets covered.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Couple thousand .223, 9mm and .45 with enough primer and power to load 10k of each, 7.62x39 around 1500, .22 around 2k. Its what I am sitting on now and feel comfortable with what I have and will even when all this dies down. Would like to add a bit more .22 though.

Last edited:

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    A couple thousand of each caliber I have. And replace it as I shoot it. I have 10 mags for each gun now, but might get some extra springs for them. I do need a few more 10/22 mags.

Last edited:

jchebert1979

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Lafayette, La
    I know this is off the subject but I didn't have any guns when Obama got elected in 08'. Was it this bad then? I never would have imagined that even .22lr would be as hard to find as it is now.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I wasn't worried about it before but now that I see $600 lever actions selling for almost 3k I wonder if it ever will normalize.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Honestly I'm going to just buy Small Pistol primers and .40 bullets. I'll prolly try to have 10-15k of each by next year.

I'll expand on this a little bit.

I keep 750rds of good quality 5.56 in hermetically sealed baggies. If I need more than that I'm calling the NG and getting the ^*%# out.
    400ish of range .223 stuff in case my gf wants to go burn it up.

Untold numbers of .22LR bricks. A lot.

1000rds of 9mm
    1000rds of .40

200rds 9mm HP
    200rds .40 HP (excluding duty ammo)
    90rds 5.56 HP
    60rds .35 Whelen (don't judge me, ****'s expensive)

With this setup I have not panicked at all. I won't change my inventory levels except for reloading components. I've felt the stress there. When things go back to normal I'll probably increase my AR mag inventory by 5 or 6 and go nuts on reloading stuff.

Last edited:

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    3k 5.56 62grain FMJ , 1k 9mm, 1k .40cal

Thats what I keep, stopped shooting when I couldnt find any to replace them. Taking up loading so Ill shoot those from now on.

RedOne451

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2012
    The only time you can have too much ammo is if you are trying to swim with it!

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I was talking with a member of my clan yesterday....After this current gun ban scheme fails, how long before some crackpot politifool(s) starts calling for tighter limits on ammunition purchases again in order to help control "the undocumented arsenal loophole"?

It wouldn't surprise me to see them take the advice of the ever-annoying & unfunny Chris Rock & shift their focus more towards ammunition, in some form or another. How far-fetched would it be to see some retailers go along with this? Not very much, IMHO. Remember their reactions in the wake of Sandy Hook involving ARs? Never say never.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Well that is a loaded question with many variables.

BUT, I think it is just a matter of time before new ammo manufacturers see a potential to capitalize on this market and start producing ammo. Now - these will probably be foreign companies in South America (i.e. the likes of Magtech), Mexico (Aguila) or a former Eastern European company. Once they enter the market the supply/demand ratio should somewhat normalize.

Or the Chinese could strike up a deal and the US could allow them to import some Ammo -- they would market them as "Burrets"!

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    It depends on how much you shoot, and how much you may want to shoot. But, if you don't have a few years worth of ammo, then you don't have a 'stockpile'.

This pretty much goes for most goods; not just ammo. If supply dries up, as it mostly has, how long can you last? Personally, I think that anything under a year is just a normal supply, and if you want to be prudent, then you 'stockpile' several years worth.

My personal prediction was that it would take 6 months-1 year for things to return to basically 'normal'-that would mean June- December 2013. I'm still okay with that prediction, but other events, either political or economic, could change the scenario.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I will probably buy a case or two of mags and hopefully never liquidate them.

Also I need to increase my "don't have gun yet, but need mags for it" collection for things like Glocks, HKs, FNs, and some BX25 mags.

Ammo is not high on my list. But if it gets back to ~2005 prices I will stock deep. But that is unlikely.

Top Bottom