When You Go into the Voting Booth, Remember This:

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    1. Four of the justices voted a resounding no on our clear right to own handguns and all guns.
    2. Scalia, who wrote the opinion on our side, is 72.
    3. The next President will likely appoint 2-3 new justices. We could easily have this reversed by a change of bodies on the court. On the other hand, we could firm it up to a 6-3, or 7-2, with the right appointees.

Who do you think will appoint nutty anti gun judges, Obama or McCain?

For the record:

The five judges in the majority:

Scalia: Appointed by REPUBLICAN Ronald Reagan with REPUBLICAN controlled senate
    Thomas: Appointed by REPUBLICAN George HW Bush with DEMOCRAT controlled senate that almost sunk him
    Kennedy: Appointed by REPUBLICAN Ronald Reagan with DEMOCRAT controlled senate that almost sunk him
    Alito: Appointed by REPUBLICAN George W Bush with REPUBLICAN controlled senate
    Roberts: Appointed by REPUBLICAN George W Bush with REPUBLICAN controlled senate

The four anti-gun judges (also against Kelo and other decisions)

Ginsberg: Appointed by DEMOCRAT Bill Clinton with DEMOCRAT controlled senate
    Breyer: Appointed by DEMOCRAT Bill Clinton with DEMOCRAT controlled senate
    Souter: Appointed by REPUBLICAN George HW Bush with DEMOCRAT controlled senate
    Stevens: Appointed by REPUBLICAN Gerald Ford with DEMOCRAT controlled senate

Note the pattern:

Three of the five good judges were appointed by the GOP with a GOP Senate. Two of the five were appointed by the GOP when the Dems ran the senate and they tried to sink both. Kennedy, who has ruled badly on other issues, was Reagan's 3rd pick after the Dems scuttled the first two.

Of the four bad judges, ALL were appointed when the Dems ran the Senate. Two were Clinton appointees. Two were RINO George HW and Ford appointees.

Give Obama an overwhelming Democrat Senate and he'll probably put Feinstein and Schumer on the court.

Much as McCain annoys me, he is our only viable alternative to Obama.

Dan

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    That's your opinion. To me, guns aren't the #1 thing on my priority list to move America forward. Not to discount our gun rights, but you can't have every thing all the time. There are bigger fish that the liberals on the court fry, IMHO. One would want a pure separate body that could adjudicate without undue influence and without political duress, no matter how slight. However, that's not the world we live in. We have people that construe matters conservatively, liberally, centrist and conciliatory. Each makes a stand through more than just the letter and spirit of the law.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Some of the other issues at least to me, I don't agree with either ruling below.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.co...onMobilDodgesTwoBillionDollarsInDamages.aspx#
    Supreme Court ruled 5 to 3 that the punishment was excessive.
    John Roberts, Antonin Scalia, Anthony Kennedy, David Souter, Clarence Thomas

John Paul Stevens, Ruth Bader Ginsberg, and Stephen Breyer
    Justice Samuel Alito recused himself in the Exxon case

Supreme Court ruled 5 to 4 that the punishment was excessive.
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/06/25/scotus.child.rape/index.html
    Anthony Kennedy, John Paul Stevens, David Souter, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen Breyer

Samuel Alito, John Roberts, Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas.

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Penguin,

There are so many other issues, and I find that the liberals are diametrically opposed to my interests on most of them. The only time I agree with the moderates are on social issues (freedom of religion, speech, etc.) With issues concerning private property rights, gun control, taxation, defense, etc. I find that most Democrats are enemies. You cannot tax yourselves into prosperity; gun control isn't about guns, it is about control and it has no positive affect on crime; regulation of private property, especially in south Louisiana, is excessive and amounts to a regulatory taking for which the owner is not generally compensated. The foolishness of not exploring for domestic petroleum makes us dependant on our enemies and is a security issue.

However, after reviewing all of the above, the gun issue is my litmus test. If you do not trust me with guns, why should I trust you to act in my best interests in other matters?

It is OK with me if you have different beliefs.

Dan

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    It is OK with me if you have different beliefs.

Dan

Thanks for that very mature response. I agree that we're not going to agree. And that's what's great about this process. I won't ever tell someone that their opinion is wrong. I may say that I don't agree with it or I will counter with some info, but I won't come out and say you are wrong.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Penguin,

I am a lawyer. I am used to having people not agree with my position. the only thing I can do is make sure that I am clear in stating it.

Manimal,

There are only two candidates who have a chance of winning the election. Compared to Obama, McCain is conservative. Compared to many others, he is not, but that is not relevent to the practical choice before us.

Dan

Top Bottom